Howard Dent
post 3 Oct 2013, 20:08
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 9,739
Proud citizen of: en

Anyone out there with nothing better to do next Thursday (Oct 10th) at 9pm could tune in to ITV's new 6 part drama series.

It 'stars' a rather nice Series I Isis - well it does in my eyes (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

One of the leading characters has the Isis as his daily driver, so it's just possible we should see it more than once; it attended about 10 days of filming so it's possible.

With the revenue earned I have treated the old girl to some new leather, and this winter there will be some new paint - therefore, opportunities for more pictures!

As I speak the Isis is sulking because I've already taken the engine out...
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Pip
post 3 Oct 2013, 21:46
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 4
Proud citizen of: gb

I've set it to record the tv and will wait with bated breath (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
PM  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 4 Oct 2013, 01:48
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,860
Proud citizen of: ca

Attached File  image.jpg ( 56.04K ) Number of downloads: 0

Is that it there?
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 4 Oct 2013, 07:04
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (mwgiesbrecht @ 4 Oct 2013, 02:48 ) *
Attached File  image.jpg ( 56.04K ) Number of downloads: 0

Is that it there?

Yes Matt that's the one - I forgot to say it's called 'Breathless', which let's face it, is how I feel when I look in the garage (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Mrs Nishka
post 4 Oct 2013, 08:23
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Ha Ha Howard. We'll watch it.

Mrs Nishka and Nishka
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 4 Oct 2013, 11:51
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 4 Oct 2013, 09:08 ) *
With the revenue earned I have treated the old girl to some new leather, and this winter there will be some new paint - therefore, opportunities for more pictures!

As I speak the Isis is sulking because I've already taken the engine out...

Perhaps the programme will come down to this part of the world one day...

Wow! There's no stopping you - he finishes a Ferrari and the next thing you know the engine is out of an Isis.
What needs attention with the engine?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 4 Oct 2013, 18:30
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (webmonster @ 4 Oct 2013, 12:51 ) *
Perhaps the programme will come down to this part of the world one day...

Wow! There's no stopping you - he finishes a Ferrari and the next thing you know the engine is out of an Isis.
What needs attention with the engine?

Nothing Robert, but it will be a better job if the engine bay is painted - and that's a lot easier if the boat anchor is missing.

When I had it tidied up 10 years ago I didn't get the engine bay done, so it's 20 years since that saw fresh paint - and I've decided to strip the shell to bare metal so it seemed sensible.

I promise to take pictures!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 5 Oct 2013, 10:51
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 5 Oct 2013, 07:30 ) *
Nothing Robert, but it will be a better job if the engine bay is painted - and that's a lot easier if the boat anchor is missing.

When I had it tidied up 10 years ago I didn't get the engine bay done, so it's 20 years since that saw fresh paint - and I've decided to strip the shell to bare metal so it seemed sensible.

I promise to take pictures!

Are you talking about your really nice series I here?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 5 Oct 2013, 14:12
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (webmonster @ 5 Oct 2013, 11:51 ) *
Are you talking about your really nice series I here?

One and the same - it was beginning to look good from far but far from good! There are two tiny rust spots, but everything else is as it left Cowley - however, the paint has started to craze on the roof and round the door handles plus there some patches of micro blistering from poor prep when it was painted first time round.

It can't hurt to get it done properly!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 7 Oct 2013, 08:52
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 6 Oct 2013, 03:12 ) *
One and the same - it was beginning to look good from far but far from good! There are two tiny rust spots, but everything else is as it left Cowley - however, the paint has started to craze on the roof and round the door handles plus there some patches of micro blistering from poor prep when it was painted first time round.

It can't hurt to get it done properly!

Fair enough.... but a jolly lot of hard work!
the roof and a few other areas on my Oxford have crazed paint and mis-matched touch ups where the original paint has faded further, but I'm trying to put off a repaint for as long as possible... so lots of waxing for me (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
It also seems that some painting (before my ownership) was done in enamel - I had a nasty reaction when I did some work on the grille (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) So back to bare metal there...
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 7 Oct 2013, 20:25
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (webmonster @ 7 Oct 2013, 09:52 ) *
Fair enough.... but a jolly lot of hard work!
the roof and a few other areas on my Oxford have crazed paint and mis-matched touch ups where the original paint has faded further, but I'm trying to put off a repaint for as long as possible... so lots of waxing for me (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
It also seems that some painting (before my ownership) was done in enamel - I had a nasty reaction when I did some work on the grille (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) So back to bare metal there...

I think that's the same issue as I have - the car was stripped to a bare shell and sandblasted 20 years ago, then red oxide primed before colour. I don't know what they used but when I had the paintshop attend to the ten years of storage marks/blemishes he had terrible trouble with his paint reacting with what was on it already. I have no idea what preparation the original shop used on the bare metal - after sandblasting you have to be very careful - before the red oxide (which is rather old fashioned), but there are still micro blisters on one front door and wing (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Then there is the crazing on the roof (along with more micro blistering), and round the door handles, and the strange marks on the rear pillars - which get worse every year! So it's off with the paint (where I can see what's happening) and some proper preparation before some decent paint - I can't wait, especially as I had the leather re-done earlier this year (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I'm hoping I can do the stripping at the paintshop, so I can do the photography too...
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 7 Oct 2013, 23:58
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

I'm hoping I can do the stripping at the paintshop, so I can do the photography too...

I'm looking forward to these photos...I think (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 8 Oct 2013, 18:58
Post #13

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ 8 Oct 2013, 00:58 ) *
I'm looking forward to these photos...I think (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Danny

Of me stripping? Fnah fnah...
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 10 Oct 2013, 21:06
Post #14

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 8 Oct 2013, 19:58 ) *
Of me stripping? Fnah fnah...

Well, I hope lots of you watched! Never has there been so much Isis on national TV - and more than once (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Bring me my medication nurse...

Roll on next week.

Howard.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
rustyroger
post 14 Oct 2013, 10:50
Post #15

Advanced Poster

Member No.: 15,009

Thank you from my wife and I for letting us know about the Programme. My wife enjoyed the show in its own right and I enjoyed car spotting.

Why, in the first scene showing the Isis in action did all the cars in front of it all drive off simultaneously?. Was it to hide something like some of the cars were incomplete?.
There have been plenty of period dramas and movies with inconsistencies, an Austin Maxi in 1965 Brighton in Quadrophenia, Land Rovers in WW2 scenarios for example.
But I haven't seen any out of time cars yet in Breathless, well done to the continuity researchers.

Roger.

This post has been edited by rustyroger: 14 Oct 2013, 10:51
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Pip
post 14 Oct 2013, 12:18
Post #16

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 4
Proud citizen of: gb

QUOTE (rustyroger @ 14 Oct 2013, 11:50 ) *
Why, in the first scene showing the Isis in action did all the cars in front of it all drive off simultaneously?.

Yes - it was quite an odd scene that - I think it was all the husbands and wives from the immediate four houses past the important cast (seemingly the only ones with cars and working in the street) all exited, 'have a good day dear' type conversation simultaneously and then drove off at near the exact same time. Very odd. They did at least began to filter off in different directions - I was beginning to think they would all arrive together in unison in the next scene!

I did enjoy watching the show in general along with the car spotting.
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 15 Oct 2013, 07:01
Post #17

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (rustyroger @ 14 Oct 2013, 11:50 ) *
Why, in the first scene showing the Isis in action did all the cars in front of it all drive off simultaneously?
Roger.

I wasn't actually present the day they filmed this scene - my brother did the honours - but I know they spent a long time practicing the 'all together' shot. Seemingly the director was absolutely adamant that even though we've not been introduced to the other people in the road, all wives would say a simultaneous goodbye and all car doors would open and shut together - then drive off together, alternating their direction at the end of the road! In practice, it was virtually impossible to achieve his desire (which more smacked of an Ealing comedy) but the result has still been 'spotted' by many watchers.

If you can be bothered to look at the scene again - check out the Isis' brake lights, which are on as it drives away - a change of the master cylinder ensued the weekend after, but the director had apoplexy on the day of the filming as they would come on and go off without warning once the ignition was on...

There was a suggestion of a car chase at one time (luckily dropped) - but we should the Isis again and whole host more 'classic' cars in the nest few weeks (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 15 Oct 2013, 14:30
Post #18

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 15 Oct 2013, 01:01 ) *
Seemingly the director was absolutely adamant that even though we've not been introduced to the other people in the road, all wives would say a simultaneous goodbye and all car doors would open and shut together - then drive off together, alternating their direction at the end of the road!

I believe this is nicked from Jacques Tati.... I forget which film.
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 16 Oct 2013, 17:57
Post #19

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 15 Oct 2013, 15:30 ) *
I believe this is nicked from Jacques Tati.... I forget which film.

That would be 'Trafic' I think - well it is according to Google (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 16 Oct 2013, 18:45
Post #20

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 16 Oct 2013, 11:57 ) *
That would be 'Trafic' I think - well it is according to Google (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Sounds right.... not his most amusing film, but still ingenious as they all were. Trafic is the one about the ingenious campmobile headed to a car show. Anyone who has not seen Tati's Mon Oncle has missed one of life's great treats.
PM  
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 14:37