Howard Dent
post 16 May 2013, 22:20
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 9,739
Proud citizen of: en

Those with an eye on eBay happenings might have spotted another old friend this week.

Attached File  Isis_auto_eBay_05.13.JPG ( 71.36K ) Number of downloads: 1

I think we've discussed it here before, and Peter will certainly be aware of it's existence - but one of the three or four Isis autos is up for grabs. I 'sold' the car for the previous owner three years ago, but sadly the gentleman passed away before any progress could be made and now his son is handling it's disposal.

Some years previously, this car and a Series III Oxford were used by a film company in the making of 'Charlie and The Chocolate Factory' (Johnny Depp) - where they were both de-badged and had chrome trim removed before being sprayed matt colours. Having sat around a while afterwards, they were both offered for sale on eBay (funny that!) and the Isis was subsequently bought by a collector in Wales; he was thinking of some sort of a museum I think, but that never transpired. He sold the car after a few years to another club member who had the intention of getting it roadworthy to fill a gap in her elderly father's life (he already had an Isis - which he had bought in the 60s - but failing health was meaning it wasn't going to be back on the road any time soon, so this would be a suitable alternative), but as these things do, another better one came along so the auto was put to one side. With the passing of her father, I was asked to assist with the clearance of the Isis collection - I 'sold' the auto and scrapped the remains of what was then the youngest existing Isis. It was a rather sad series of events, as the scrap car was virtually a family heirloom - he'd owned it since '62 - but it was very rusty and lived outside.

My last memory of the auto was three chaps and a recovery truck towing the car up the road having first removed the propshaft (automatic!).

Attached File  030.jpg ( 61.84K ) Number of downloads: 1

To go full circle, fellow member here Godalmingyellow owns the 'other' better Isis the family bought.
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Peter Torode
post 17 May 2013, 11:04
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 767
Proud citizen of: gg

You'd be quite right that I know of this one, it's good to know it's still about, hopefully this time it is saved properly. I haven't seen it on ebay yet, but I'll be taking a look shortly I think.
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 18 May 2013, 04:24
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

It looks OK in the photos - even a new hoodlining?
Was the same front seat used in the Auto as the RH gearchange models? - looks like there is a 'scoop' out of the seat.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 27 May 2013, 19:27
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (webmonster @ 18 May 2013, 05:24 ) *
It looks OK in the photos - even a new hoodlining?
Was the same front seat used in the Auto as the RH gearchange models? - looks like there is a 'scoop' out of the seat.

Sorry Robert, missed your post! No, the headlining wasn't new but good - probably been replaced at some point I suppose as they're generally poor (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Wrong front seat fitted I'm sure - the auto had no cut out - the other two I've had pass through my hands had a seat base like a Series III Oxford (wide flutes). IIRC when I originally went to see the car it had the seats from the car Godalmingyellow has now, as they had swapped them over - and when questioned it turned out the original seats had been stolen whilst the car was parked outside their house? I also think I remember checking the chassis number and it was built Birch Grey with a grey interior. I asked for my name to be passed to the new owner in case any info/help was needed but I've heard no more; I think it was too dear to be banger raced, but maybe the new owner is still getting to know his new car!

Attached File  DSC04530.JPG ( 25.71K ) Number of downloads: 0

I finally found the only picture I have of the 'other' Isis the previous owner had - this is/was the youngest known survivor - I wasn't allowed to take a picture but sneaked this one!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
stargazer
post 29 Jul 2013, 16:40
Post #5

Junior Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 16,254
Proud citizen of: wales

now would you be the howard that webmonster mentions I should ask for info on my potential isis purchase?........ have posted a pic and a few details elsewhere.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 29 Jul 2013, 17:15
Post #6

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

QUOTE (stargazer @ 29 Jul 2013, 17:40 ) *
have posted a pic and a few details elsewhere.

HERE.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 1 Aug 2013, 07:02
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (stargazer @ 29 Jul 2013, 17:40 ) *
now would you be the howard that webmonster mentions I should ask for info on my potential isis purchase?........ have posted a pic and a few details elsewhere.

I would - good morning! Sorry, haven't been well and have needed to take it easy - long story - so am catching up (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I know this car quite well, and have been offered it a couple of times over the years. It's a genuine enough car I think, the engine would pose little difficulty to repair/replace as there are several 2.6 units down my garden at least! Looks pretty solid too, and has done since I first saw pictures probably 5 years ago, although has been stored outside. It was originally found and put into a possible museum collection in it's current state, but those plans changed and it passed to it's current owner who hasn't touched it (not having a dig, merely stating the facts!) - interestingly it was a sister car in the 'collection' to the Isis auto that starts this thread.

Assuming it's a reasonable price, I'd go for it (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

Let us/me know how you get on please - and don't hesitate to ask daft questions, that's what this place is for!

All the best, Howard.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 02:13