Howard Dent
post 31 Mar 2013, 14:25
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 9,739
Proud citizen of: en

Many will already have been aware that it was the centenary of the first Morris car leaving the factory on Good Friday (March 29th, 1913), and there were several events taking place to acknowledge this occasion. As the BMW group now own the site of the Morris factory in Cowley, it was only right to attend one such event starting from there with an Isis as I only live a few miles away!

Anyway, by invitation, about 40 vehicles spanning the production of Morris vehicles gathered at the BMW factory for breakfast - at a rather cold 7.00 am on Friday morning. Having toured the museum, talked to other owners, and enjoyed the breakfast fare, we left in convoy for a trip into Oxford city centre. The route was cunningly devised to pass by various landmarks with a Morris connection, so we saw the site of the old Cowley factory, the 'Needle' (William Morris memorial), the old training school, Nuffield Orthodpaedic Centre and the original site of the first Morris 'factory' on Long Wall - before forming up for a suitably impressive display in Broad Street.

Oxford East MP Andrew Smith was in attendance, as was Kevin Minns (great great nephew of Lord Nuffield), and the event saw BBC Radio Oxford covering the event live with host Malcolm Boyden on the mike! The cars covered everything from the first Oxford and Cowley models, through Minors, Minis, 1800, Maxi, 600, 800, etc etc and of course an Isis. We were even joined by the original Morris Motors Band bus (which has been restored by the Oxford Bus Museum) and a new Mini!

I took along my father-in-law - he worked at the factory on the correspondence courses having spent time with Nuffield Tractors and travelling Scandinavia with the BMC service school. We were amazed at the interest generated amongst locals and tourists alike; at every street corner (and in between) on our way into town we were waved to and photographed - and then swamped with people when we finally parked up in Broad Street.

Thanks must go to Mini enthusiast and Cowley resident Tanya Field for spending a long time organising such a memorable event; she must have done a good job because it all went so smoothly!

Waiting for the off at BMW plant Cowley!

Attached File  290320132307.jpg ( 159.61K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  290320132308.jpg ( 136.77K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  290320132314.jpg ( 153.17K ) Number of downloads: 0

In Broad Street, with the Band bus, a Rover 75, a Morris Oxford, a Morris Minor and an MG 1100
Attached File  290320132324.jpg ( 162.09K ) Number of downloads: 2

Radio Oxford have a new work station! That's Malcolm Boyden doing his show from my bonnet (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Attached File  290320132322.jpg ( 140.86K ) Number of downloads: 0
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 31 Mar 2013, 19:56
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,860
Proud citizen of: ca

Great that you attended, of course I wish I could have been there but........I'm over here.
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 31 Mar 2013, 20:22
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

What a great selection of vehicles!
Is the cream and blue bus a Morris commercial?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 31 Mar 2013, 21:05
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (webmonster @ 31 Mar 2013, 21:22 ) *

It certainly is, although more than that I can't tell you - makes mental note to find out!!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 1 Apr 2013, 14:35
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (webmonster @ 31 Mar 2013, 14:22 ) *

What a great camper that would make! (This is the North American perspective.)

Lovely lot of cars.
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 2 Apr 2013, 19:46
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (webmonster @ 31 Mar 2013, 21:22 ) *

I have done my homework, and can confirm it is a Morris FF - if you're none the wiser, google it! It appears to be a Morris FF chassis with a coachbuilt body fitted.

I'd never heard of it either but I do recognise it when it's a truck (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 10:07