The Wolseley Forum

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'The Isis Register' name for the overall forum, ...and a few other things to discuss
webmonster
post 30 Mar 2013, 08:28
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

Hi everyone,

Bob (Llansadwrn) and I have exchanged a few emails recently about the state of affairs for Morris vehicles on the interwebs and a quick Google search confirms our thoughts. The 'big' Morrises of the 1950s (1954-1960 Oxford, Cowley, Isis) and the MO Oxford are not represented all that well. I also had a nice chat to Mr & Mrs Nishka today on the 'phone about our cosy little forum (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

First things first - I think our forum should stay here for lots of reasons, but mostly because I like it being here (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Having the overall forum named 'The Isis Register' is not really that accurate anymore. The trial forum for the Cowley, Oxford, Landmaster and Ambassador has proved itself and is every bit the equal of the original Isis page(s).
I think the Isis Register should still exist, but inside the overall forum rather than be the name of the whole shebang.

Bob noted that even finding our forum is not a piece of cake; fine once you are here, but we don't register on a google search for (say) Morris Oxford forum.
What would be good is to register a web address (or two) that redirects to our forum. This would show up more readily in web searches.
In the future this address could be a website with information on our cars and also have a link to this forum.

So... what should the overall forum be called, and what web address(es) might be good for us?
The models I would like to see covered are:
MO Oxford
Series II, III, IV Oxford, Cowley & Landmaster & Ambassador
Isis (this sub-forum will be The Isis Register)

It is possible that the MO has a closed forum within the 6/80 and MO club's website, but that is for members of that club only and I don't think there is a problem with us having an open forum here for that model. It would be handy for any Landmaster owners - their engine, gearbox and rear axle are MO units.

Possible names?
The Morris Forum
1950s 'big' Morris forum
The Morris Cowley, Oxford and Isis forum
The Morris Cowley, Oxford and Isis register

Possible web addresses?
PM or email me for this discussion. I've just had some advice that someone else might try and buy these addresses if I list them here in public, which would be a nuisance.

Please give me your suggestions and comments about any of the above.
There is no intention for this to turn into a club because there are clubs already. This is a forum and/or register.

This post has been edited by webmonster: 30 Mar 2013, 10:16
Reason for edit: remove possible web addresses
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 30 Mar 2013, 11:59
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,860
Proud citizen of: ca

I've had the same thoughts for awhile.
I also think the forum should stay here, I like it here too.
It would be cool (I think) if we got a website as you suggested and had the information about the cars. (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Change at 12 o'clock!
PM  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 30 Mar 2013, 12:00
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Too bad we can't all go meet up at the pub and discuss this. It would be much easier (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
PM  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 30 Mar 2013, 16:16
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

I like everything that is being said. As a Big Morris newbie, I have been surprised to find that all Morris owners, no matter what the model, are not banding together instinctively. Frankly it's a marque that is at least threatened, if not endangered, although Mini and Minor owners probably don't feel that way. The really threatened group seems to be our Big Fifties Morrises.

I'd like to see Robert (webmonster's) idea come to fruition, after all it already has as the Isis Register, and the trial forum is getting more visits, so that altogether there is definitely something to build on. Also, I think we'd all agree that this should be a welcoming group, not a club as such, but wanting ANYONE with this subgroup of 1950's Big Morrises to feel welcome, plus anyone else interested in this decade of cars and their mechanics. After all, this is the beginning of BMC and the pretty rapid developments in British mass production cars during this decade were then carried on into the next 3 decades with little modification.

Matt's right, pity we can't throw ideas around quickly at a pub! We've got the discussion going so far in Britain, western Canda, and New Zealand, which pretty much divides 24 time zones by three, and makes communication rather halting. But it's all very promising. I'd like to think we could attract even more time zones, as we know there are real enthusiasts in India, in South Africa, in Scandinavia, and who knows where else? Oxfords sold well thoughout the Commonwealth in the 50's, and that included just about every time zone, I should think. There's a lot of knowledge out there to share, a lot of parts expertise too, and quite a dfw owners who have felt very isolated I am sure.

I must say I rather like the name Big Fifities Morris or Fifties Big Morris Forum, but that might be an awful choice for people finding it! I defer to the knowledge of others, but we'd have to be sure that search engines would pick up on the list as spelled out by Robert, that is
MO Oxford, Series II, III, IV Oxford, Cowley, Isis & Landmaster & Ambassador, plus include Hindustan Motors and CK Birla Group, oh and not to forget Morris MCV commercials, if that is how they'd be designated.

Looking forward to hearing other ideas, but I think it's very much a Go!
PM  
+Quote Post
ahctog
post 30 Mar 2013, 16:55
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 211
Proud citizen of: en

I have to agree, you need to cater for what people would punch into a search engine most commonly and somehow cater for that.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 30 Mar 2013, 17:30
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

The name is inconsequential to the search results, you can add header tags and whatnot to direct searchers to the site.
PM  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 30 Mar 2013, 17:40
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic

Then maybe a more all inclusive name might be warranted, so that all Morris owners would feel welcome?

Important not to be too grand: I think specifically of the International Association of Morris Owners, no doubt started with just this sort of entirely laudable ambition for the Morris marque, but ending up having vintage vehicles only, and deciding not to pursue the idea of a Forum. That is why it seems that starting with a forum and seeing where it leads is a much more evolutionary idea.

I am very grateful, by the way, to the Wolseley Forum, for being accommodating to other marques. This is the way it should be!
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 30 Mar 2013, 23:18
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 31 Mar 2013, 06:40 ) *
Then maybe a more all inclusive name might be warranted, so that all Morris owners would feel welcome?

The Morris Forum is obvious as a sister site to the WolseleyForum, but would that cause bitterness with the other forums that exist? Is it too wide? e.g. Unless there was sufficient demand I cannot imagine we would have Morris 8, Minor or Marina forums because these exist already.
Having said that, I would be loath to introduce more exclusivity - there is enough of this already in the Morris world.

At first glance Cowley, Oxford, Isis Forum might be seen to exclude MO models.
Fifties 'Big' Morris Forum seems to be on the right track, but is this a bit clumsy?
More suggestions and ideas and comments please (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Important not to be too grand: I think specifically of the International Association of Morris Owners, no doubt started with just this sort of entirely laudable ambition for the Morris marque, but ending up having vintage vehicles only, and deciding not to pursue the idea of a Forum.

I am not sure if it is vintage vehicles only, but there seems to be a strong leaning towards that era, despite the grand title of the website. The website design must be difficult to update - much of the site is not complete and has not appeared to have been updated for a while.
That is why it seems that starting with a forum and seeing where it leads is a much more evolutionary idea.

Yes, and the rapid interaction offered in today's internet age suits a forum. I feel that keeping to a forum (and register?) is the way to go. An active forum offers so much.
I would be happy having a section where clubs can have a link to their website, so forum members can see if there is a relevant club close to them.
I am very grateful, by the way, to the Wolseley Forum, for being accommodating to other marques.

Yes, me too, and it is great to have all the input from the Wolseley owners. Actually, I've been chuffed all along that they bother to read our little forum and its so nice to have them here. Sharing knowledge and having fun* with old cars. Surely what it is all about? (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

*an overall measurement. Minor tantrums and grumpiness not included in the data. Your mileage may vary (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 31 Mar 2013, 00:01
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic

QUOTE (webmonster @ 30 Mar 2013, 17:18 ) *
The Morris Forum is obvious as a sister site to the WolseleyForum, but would that cause bitterness with the other forums that exist? Is it too wide? e.g. Unless there was sufficient demand I cannot imagine we would have Morris 8, Minor or Marina forums because these exist already.
Having said that, I would be loath to introduce more exclusivity - there is enough of this already in the Morris world.

At first glance Cowley, Oxford, Isis Forum might be seen to exclude MO models.
Fifties 'Big' Morris Forum seems to be on the right track, but is this a bit clumsy?
More suggestions and ideas and comments please (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I am not sure if it is vintage vehicles only, but there seems to be a strong leaning towards that era, despite the grand title of the website. The website design must be difficult to update - much of the site is not complete and has not appeared to have been updated for a while.

Yes, and the rapid interaction offered in today's internet age suits a forum. I feel that keeping to a forum (and register?) is the way to go. An active forum offers so much.
I would be happy having a section where clubs can have a link to their website, so forum members can see if there is a relevant club close to them.

Yes, me too, and it is great to have all the input from the Wolseley owners. Actually, I've been chuffed all along that they bother to read our little forum and its so nice to have them here. Sharing knowledge and having fun* with old cars. Surely what it is all about? (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

*an overall measurement. Minor tantrums and grumpiness not included in the data. Your mileage may vary (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I must say Fifties 'Big' Morris Forum sounds very clumsy indeed.... and the name was my idea! I think The Morris Forum sounds great.... simplicity itself. One thing would be to have obvious links to all other websites, forums and clubs even vaguely associated with any Morris, as you suggest. Be a clearing house, indeed a facilitator, for everything Morris. Invite other organisations to write their own description. Some may refuse, but I think it would be part of what we're thinking of to list all these groups anyway! Also maybe offer specific groups who lack their own Forum, probably from an understandable anxiety about getting involved in something that becomes unmanageable, effectively the use of their own section of the Forum. Although maybe that would be too complicated.

So would it cause bitterness? It shouldn't, but then there seems to have been a tendency for some fragmented and self-isolated groups to build up, when the Morris marque needs to pull together. The idea here presumably is for a forum that is not saying "look at me", but rather "look at all of us".

Having said all that, it's probably important to pull back from being overly ambitious, but rather think broadly and simply along the lines webmonster has suggested, following on from the Isis Register idea, and just try to make this accessible to Morris owners, with the initial emphasis on our 50's models.
PM  
+Quote Post
Peter Torode
post 31 Mar 2013, 01:08
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 767
Proud citizen of: gg

A while back I started to create a website dedicated to the Isis, this is unfinished, but I could add info on the other cars, and then we could have and almost Main hub, and try to have a link within that to the forum here, I have created websites for our family business, and it's not overly hard, I am happy to set up a main website, if someone organizes the forum and names etc. And if people can send me some info that would be fantastic.

Getting websites seen by google isn't easy, but it is do able, I have yet to manage it on other search engines.
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 31 Mar 2013, 07:15
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 31 Mar 2013, 13:01 ) *
I must say Fifties 'Big' Morris Forum sounds very clumsy indeed.... and the name was my idea!

Well, we *are* chucking ideas around. Better to have suggestions than none!
I think The Morris Forum sounds great.... simplicity itself. One thing would be to have obvious links to all other websites, forums and clubs even vaguely associated with any Morris, as you suggest. Be a clearing house, indeed a facilitator, for everything Morris.

OK - As a name I like The Morris Forum too. If necessary we could add in brackets: (for 1950's 'big' Morrises) for the title.
A 'clearing house' - I see what you mean. Interesting idea.
Invite other organisations to write their own description. Some may refuse, but I think it would be part of what we're thinking of to list all these groups anyway!

Hmm. If organisations refuse then they refuse. Probably not a great idea to include a link to them if they don't want to be linked to. Anyway - this information would be added slowly and steadily, I imagine and organisations may change their minds as time goes on. Forums and links are easy and quick to update.
Also maybe offer specific groups who lack their own Forum, probably from an understandable anxiety about getting involved in something that becomes unmanageable, effectively the use of their own section of the Forum. Although maybe that would be too complicated.

Possibly would get complicated. On the other hand it will be easy for individuals to use the forum with the rest of us.
Going from previous experiences & advice from Mr & Mrs Nishka I think the forum should not be used to discuss club politics etc. in public.
On the other hand maybe clubs could ask for (and pay a nominal sum for) a private forum to discuss club matters in private.
[quote]
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 31 Mar 2013, 07:24
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Peter Torode @ 31 Mar 2013, 14:08 ) *
A while back I started to create a website dedicated to the Isis, this is unfinished, but I could add info on the other cars, and then we could have and almost Main hub, and try to have a link within that to the forum here, I have created websites for our family business, and it's not overly hard, I am happy to set up a main website, if someone organizes the forum and names etc. And if people can send me some info that would be fantastic.

Getting websites seen by google isn't easy, but it is do able, I have yet to manage it on other search engines.

Sounds good, Peter.
First thing would be to decide on a suitable web-address (or 2) to reserve now, and until an informative website is made it can simply re-direct straight to this forum.

I've got a half-finished website too, but my one can be just 'mine' on a branch of my webmonster domain. It will have a link to this forum too (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 31 Mar 2013, 10:07
Post #13

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,739
Proud citizen of: en

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 31 Mar 2013, 01:01 ) *
I must say Fifties 'Big' Morris Forum sounds very clumsy indeed.... and the name was my idea! I think The Morris Forum sounds great.... simplicity itself. One thing would be to have obvious links to all other websites, forums and clubs even vaguely associated with any Morris, as you suggest. Be a clearing house, indeed a facilitator, for everything Morris. Invite other organisations to write their own description. Some may refuse, but I think it would be part of what we're thinking of to list all these groups anyway! Also maybe offer specific groups who lack their own Forum, probably from an understandable anxiety about getting involved in something that becomes unmanageable, effectively the use of their own section of the Forum. Although maybe that would be too complicated.

So would it cause bitterness? It shouldn't, but then there seems to have been a tendency for some fragmented and self-isolated groups to build up, when the Morris marque needs to pull together. The idea here presumably is for a forum that is not saying "look at me", but rather "look at all of us".

Having said all that, it's probably important to pull back from being overly ambitious, but rather think broadly and simply along the lines webmonster has suggested, following on from the Isis Register idea, and just try to make this accessible to Morris owners, with the initial emphasis on our 50's models.

For my part, I agree that the 'big' bit should not be included - if anything it sounds rather amateurish - I think 'The Morris Forum' is an excellent idea, and well done for taking the time to do something about it! Our aim is surely to help and encourage other owners and enthusiasts with their cars/projects/purchases etc., and to have a place where we can share news and ideas? We need to be easy to find (ie The Morris Forum) but in brackets we could have Oxford, Cowley, Isis, Ambassador and variants? Any casual surfer would then see what we're about and (for example) a Marina owner would save him/her self a mouse click?

Just my six pennyworth

PS You could even call it The Forgotten Morris Forum... (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Kidding.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 31 Mar 2013, 10:28
Post #14

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

"Fifties Morris Forum" ? Encompasses your cars and as Howard suggests, the front page can state "The home of the Isis etc..........."

These things do find their own level quickly. The Wolseley Forum is inclusive of all things Wolseley, so in theory we could have a sheep shearing section, electric fences, stationary engines, solar topees, walking tractors, plumbing and doubtless others. It isn't the case, even after four years. No doubt these other areas have their own homes - stationary engines certainly do.

Chris,
P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Nishka
post 31 Mar 2013, 11:35
Post #15

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
From: Wolseleyland near the Guild City of Preston, Lancashire
Member No.: 2
Proud citizen of: gb

I tend to work on the K.I.S.S. principle - Keep it Simple, Stupid! If you limit what you consider your target audience will be from the start, you will never attract them once established.

As Penguin says, when we created 'The Wolseley Forum', it was simple and encompassed ALL things Wolseley. My personal opinion is, that a forum dealing with the Morris marque, should also be kept simple.

When we created The Wolseley Forum, the title of the forum was set as 'The Wolseley Forum' but for simplicity and ease of SEO the URL was created as www.WolseleyForum.com. This causes less confusion and is likely to feature in any search for Wolseley Forum or The Wolseley Forum. As an aside, there was a another group (actually an unofficial group from the current Wolseley PLC) who had the address www.WolseleyForums.com. At first glance thay are the same, but the second is plural. When the 'forums' domain was allowed to lapse we acquired it, now this area of potential confusion has been removed.

From a technical point of view, the current server that is used for The Wolseley Forum, has sufficient capacity to hold many, many websites and forums (or should that be fora!) and we are more than happy to host other classic marques' sites.

In reality, any marque that eventually was incorporated into the Nuffield/BMC/BL/Rover group, all share an interlinked history that is the British motor industry and as such there should be no need for any form of rivalry or animosity. After all we all enjoy the same hobby of classic cars and old machinery.

Nishka
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 31 Mar 2013, 20:31
Post #16

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

I like the name "50s Morris Forum". Though I also like the idea of an all encompassing "Morris Forum".

I had some ideas clunking around in my brain last night.

Attached File  map.png ( 74.88K ) Number of downloads: 0

I think the main page shouldn't be the forum. I think that there should be two halves to the site, which are accessed through the homepage. The one side could be the forum, the other side with general info about the cars, their history and stuff like that. There should probably be an area explaining how to identify the cars, because the differences between an Oxford and a Cowley may not be apparent to someone who is new to the Morris world. The Land Rover FAQ seems to be a good site model to follow. http://www.lrfaq.org/index.html
PM  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 31 Mar 2013, 21:57
Post #17

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Spent 10 minutes banging out this mockup of the home page. Suggestions?

Attached File  forum.png ( 406K ) Number of downloads: 0
PM  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 1 Apr 2013, 04:06
Post #18

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Here's something a lot better.

Attached File  Preview_of____Fifties_Morris_Forum___.png ( 1.42MB ) Number of downloads: 0
PM  
+Quote Post
Sam Simm
post 1 Apr 2013, 08:55
Post #19

Advanced Poster

Member No.: 12,091
Proud citizen of: au

What about Morris Matters
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 1 Apr 2013, 14:31
Post #20

Wolseley Fanatic

I think there is a danger of overcomplicating this.

Really in the short term all that would be needed would be a modification of what webmonster already has in place, with an added and new name which can be used for a web link that directs searchers into this existing Forum, but that will also invite those with any Morris to visit. Pretty much anything else can subsequently be added in an evolutionary fashion.

I must say I think that Morris Matters is actually a very good suggestion for a name.
PM  
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 01:59