webmonster
post 23 Mar 2013, 09:44
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

Getting to the bottom 9/16" nut on the flange of each SU is a pain with a straight spanner. Is there a crafty special tool for times like this e.g. a spanner with a bent head?
It has been such a long time since I took them off or on that I can't remember... and I don't have such a spanner.
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 23 Mar 2013, 12:26
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,860
Proud citizen of: ca

QUOTE (webmonster @ 23 Mar 2013, 04:44 ) *
Getting to the bottom 9/16" nut on the flange of each SU is a pain with a straight spanner. Is there a crafty special tool for times like this e.g. a spanner with a bent head?
It has been such a long time since I took them off or on that I can't remember... and I don't have such a spanner.

I agree, it is a pain. But I haven't found an easier way, yet.
PM  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 23 Mar 2013, 15:42
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

If you google s-shaped wrench and look for Images, you'll see a lot of "antique" open enders. They used to be quite common, although I can't recall owning any. These ignition wrenches from US company Sears look as if they might do the job OK.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_126...ignition+wrench
PM  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 23 Mar 2013, 15:45
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic

Oops... cancel that last link, no 9/16"
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 23 Mar 2013, 16:11
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

You should try it on a transverse engine!

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 24 Mar 2013, 08:31
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 24 Mar 2013, 05:11 ) *
You should try it on a transverse engine!

At times like this we can curse having twin SUs - twice as many ways to scrape your knuckles getting them on and off...
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 24 Mar 2013, 09:06
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

I'll ask my mechanic if he has a fancy spanner that I can borrow.

When the SUs are off I am going to look hard for possible places where there could be air leaks.
These 3-piece phenolic(?) blocks look a bit aged - are they available (preferably as one-piece units)?
Attached File  DSCF8731sm.jpg ( 75.93K ) Number of downloads: 0

Other places to check -
*manifold 'plug' at the rear of the inlet gallery - what should this look like? Mine is decidedly home-made.
*manifold balance unit thingy coverplate. How does the balance thingy work? Should I assume it is set up correctly?
*distributor vac. advance pipe.

Attached File  DSCF8730sm.jpg ( 67.88K ) Number of downloads: 0

I'm keen to make up a new heatshield to replace the (slightly) hacked up 6/99 one. I'd like it to go further towards the head, in between the carbs and exhaust manifold, and a bit further forward and rearward. Things are getting a bit hot at the carbs, especially in summer.
Does it need to go as far down as the engine mount? This makes it a pain to get it (and carbs) on or off!

Not sure if the carbs need attention - they don't leak - just some dribbles here and there, but then it seems a bit silly to take them off and then do nothing.
I'd like to get the front fuel bowl to face the front of the car like the 6/90. This would make it much easier to check the mixture. For this I'll need an 'opposite' handed lid.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
matthew.h
post 24 Mar 2013, 11:06
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 9,890

some cars has a vac tank that often get holes in it from stones and have to be remove. the other thing is you can tell what carb is out of tune and that will tell what side the air leak it is on.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 24 Mar 2013, 18:31
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic

QUOTE (webmonster @ 24 Mar 2013, 03:06 ) *
These 3-piece phenolic(?) blocks look a bit aged - are they available (preferably as one-piece units)?

I'd make my own using UHMWP. You can cut it with a saw (I've used a scrollsaw for exact cuts), drill it easily, yet it is effectively incompressible, can be sanded smooth as you like. Would last forever in this application. This person sells offcuts of any desired thickness and multiple colours.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Great-Industr...l?_fsub=7271785

Bob
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 24 Mar 2013, 20:47
Post #10

Administrator
Group Icon

Good old SU - everything is still available from BURLEN FUEL SYSTEMS. Just find the carburetter tag numbers.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 25 Mar 2013, 00:55
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

I'd like to get the front fuel bowl to face the front of the car like the 6/90. This would make it much easier to check the mixture. For this I'll need an 'opposite' handed lid.

Won't the H4 type lid fit in any orientation...just swivel it around? You may need a longer bit of fuel hose.

I'm keen to make up a new heatshield to replace the (slightly) hacked up 6/99 one. I'd like it to go further towards the head, in between the carbs and exhaust manifold, and a bit further forward and rearward. Things are getting a bit hot at the carbs, especially in summer.
Does it need to go as far down as the engine mount? This makes it a pain to get it (and carbs) on or off!

The 6/90 heat shield should be perfect for your set up, the exhaust manifolds I beleive you said are from a 6/99 so should have tapped bosses for the shield. The heat shield really should be removed before the carbies or you'll have a devil of a time getting that lower carb flange nut!

The balance pipe can in fact be a source of a vacuum leak (much to my surprise) but simply by that cover plate needing a nip up or maybe taking it off and putting a bit of goo and/or gasket on it.

I'd suggest the replacement of the cork jet gland seals when the carbs are off as an absolute minimum, you'll regret it if you don't.

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 25 Mar 2013, 07:41
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ 25 Mar 2013, 13:55 ) *
Won't the H4 type lid fit in any orientation...just swivel it around? You may need a longer bit of fuel hose.

Yes, but it would look nicer being in line with the other lid. (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The 6/90 heat shield should be perfect for your set up, the exhaust manifolds I beleive you said are from a 6/99 so should have tapped bosses for the shield.

The manifolds have the tapped bosses - the current heat shield is affixed this way.
Can you take a photo of the 6/90 heatshield? Get that steam powered camera out (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
The heat shield really should be removed before the carbies or you'll have a devil of a time getting that lower carb flange nut!

Mutter, mumble, <swear word> etc. YES! You are quite correct!!
I have no idea now how the whole bloody lot fitted in the first place!
The balance pipe can in fact be a source of a vacuum leak (much to my surprise) but simply by that cover plate needing a nip up or maybe taking it off and putting a bit of goo and/or gasket on it.

I'll change the gasket and apply suitable goo while I've got easy access.
I'd suggest the replacement of the cork jet gland seals when the carbs are off as an absolute minimum, you'll regret it if you don't.

Righto - looks like I should buy a kit of some sort for the seals & washers etc.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 25 Mar 2013, 09:05
Post #13

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 25 Mar 2013, 09:47 ) *
Good old SU - everything is still available from BURLEN FUEL SYSTEMS. Just find the carburetter tag numbers.

Heh! tag numbers are long gone, but I do have a BMC SU applications book here (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The insulating gasket below is 10mm thick, and the '3-layer' ones currently on the Isis are more like 16mm
http://sucarb.co.uk/insulating-manifold-ai...sket-11385.html

I'm not sure I'd like the reduced clearance of 10mm - it is a tight fit already!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 8 Apr 2013, 08:45
Post #14

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (matthew.h @ 24 Mar 2013, 23:06 ) *
some cars has a vac tank that often get holes in it from stones and have to be remove. the other thing is you can tell what carb is out of tune and that will tell what side the air leak it is on.

No fancy vac tank for a servo/booster on the Isis (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 8 Apr 2013, 09:25
Post #15

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

I got 'em off fairly easily when I borrowed some shorter spanners from my mechanic.

The shafts have no play in them (re-bushed last time), so what sort of kit(s) do I need for carb and fuel bowl seals?

I see that Burlen doesn't supply phenolic blocks that are thick enough, so maybe I will need to try making some myself.

Anything else I should/could do while I've got them off?
File down the screws securing the butterflies? (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 8 Apr 2013, 13:56
Post #16

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

so what sort of kit(s) do I need for carb and fuel bowl seals?

Burlens H4 Gasket Pack (x2?), if you don't need any hard parts, looks like the go.

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 16 Apr 2013, 09:48
Post #17

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

While everything is off I am going to see if I can get a bigger heatshield made up. Existing one looks like this:
Attached File  DSCF8753sm.jpg ( 95.82K ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  DSCF8754sm.jpg ( 129.92K ) Number of downloads: 1

I'm thinking that it would be nice if it could extend sideways between the exhaust manifold and inlets as the fuel bowls do get quite hot.
Also, it could extend forwards towards the radiator by an inch or so and rearwards too.

I had good help from my littlest assistant:
Attached File  DSCF8757sm.jpg ( 112.42K ) Number of downloads: 2
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 16 Apr 2013, 15:16
Post #18

Administrator
Group Icon

Why not bring the heatshield all the way up as well? Mine fits under the carburettors, thus clamping to the inlet manifold itself.

(IMG:http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/Penguin45/Enginebay123.jpg)
Like that.

Either you car has no wheels and is sitting on the floor, or smallest assistant has grown somewhat!

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 17 Apr 2013, 08:14
Post #19

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 17 Apr 2013, 03:16 ) *
Why not bring the heatshield all the way up as well? Mine fits under the carburettors, thus clamping to the inlet manifold itself.

(IMG:http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/Penguin45/Enginebay123.jpg)
Like that.

Mmmm! So does your heatshield fit between the insulator blocks and and the carburettors like this?:
(IMG:http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/pics/hs10.jpg)
(image is on mgaguru.com)

I hadn't thought of that at all. If I make it right it would make it *much* easier when it was time to take the whole lot off!
I like your K&N filters - I've just ordered a pair of these for The Guzzler via my brother-in-law in the USA.
USD$44 (+shipping) each vs. more than NZD$40 each for the standard 6/110 paper filters that I've got installed currently. Repco or Supercheap Autos quoted $55 last time I asked!

Either you car has no wheels and is sitting on the floor, or smallest assistant has grown somewhat!

(IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Rebecca is standing on her 'engineer's stool'. It was nice that she wanted to see what was going on.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 17 Apr 2013, 08:31
Post #20

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE ("Webmonster")
Mmmm! So does your heatshield fit between the insulator blocks and and the carburettors like this?:

Correct. You'd need a few more paper gaskets just to ensure the seal, but it does make for a very solid mounting.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 10:08