webmonster
post 2 Mar 2013, 21:42
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

I've started using fuelly.com to track Guzzler's consumption. Not sure if I wanted to know this (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
How does this look?
19.7mpg with one fill up.
(IMG:http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/168799.png)
Anyone else tracking their mpg?

This post has been edited by webmonster: 20 Jul 2013, 07:54
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 3 Mar 2013, 10:03
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,739
Proud citizen of: en

QUOTE (webmonster @ 2 Mar 2013, 21:42 ) *
I've started using fuelly.com to track Guzzler's consumption. Not sure if I wanted to know this (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
How does this look?
(IMG:http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/168799.png)
Anyone else tracking their mpg?

I don't generally, as I am lazy and it means exercising my brain - but once a year I enter an event organised by a local car club apeing the 50s Mobilgas Economy Runs. This takes the form of a light hearted competition involving filling fuel tanks and sealing them, nominating a consumption figure, driving round an area of natural beauty, being weighed on a weighbridge, and going for a beer! It means driving about 120 miles round the Cotswolds (see below) which is rather hilly, and there are secret checks along the way, and marshals to seal your tank and refill at the end - all good fun - and in the seven or eight times I've used the Isis it's returned anything from 23 - 27 mpg.

Attached File  aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg ( 17.08K ) Number of downloads: 0

Cotswolds - for you foreigners!

Attached File  xxxxxxxxxxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.JPG ( 52.06K ) Number of downloads: 0

Cresting the bridge going in to Moreton in the Marsh.

Unfortunately the Isis is never going to win the event, although there is a calculation used to establish efficiency - but it's good fun.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 1 Apr 2013, 14:38
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 3 Mar 2013, 04:03 ) *
I don't generally, as I am lazy and it means exercising my brain - but once a year I enter an event organised by a local car club apeing the 50s Mobilgas Economy Runs. This takes the form of a light hearted competition involving filling fuel tanks and sealing them, nominating a consumption figure, driving round an area of natural beauty, being weighed on a weighbridge, and going for a beer! It means driving about 120 miles round the Cotswolds (see below) which is rather hilly, and there are secret checks along the way, and marshals to seal your tank and refill at the end - all good fun - and in the seven or eight times I've used the Isis it's returned anything from 23 - 27 mpg.

Cotswolds - for you foreigners!

Attached File  xxxxxxxxxxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.JPG ( 52.06K ) Number of downloads: 0

Cresting the bridge going in to Moreton in the Marsh.

Unfortunately the Isis is never going to win the event, although there is a calculation used to establish efficiency - but it's good fun.

....... presumably this is with freewheeling wherever possible?

Smashing bridge picture!
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 2 Apr 2013, 19:42
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 1 Apr 2013, 15:38 ) *
....... presumably this is with freewheeling wherever possible?

Smashing bridge picture!

Thanks, and yes - except with the overdrive gearbox the freewheel comes as standard fitment (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Have lent the Isis to brother dearest to do the event this year (two weeks time) as I was going to use the freshly finished Ferrari - but it isn't, so I've borrowed a Westminster instead, hooray for another 'C' Series!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 5 Apr 2013, 04:51
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 2 Apr 2013, 13:42 ) *
............. with the overdrive gearbox the freewheel comes as standard fitment (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Interesting. That's something I've never had in a car.
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 6 Apr 2013, 09:21
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 5 Apr 2013, 05:51 ) *
Interesting. That's something I've never had in a car.

It is a bit odd, to say the least - Rover P4 and SAAB models had the feature as standard IIRC (probably dependent on gearbox model), and I love the effect on cruising ability but it's not great on country lanes! You can't hop in and out of overdrive like a TR or MG by flicking a switch, it's a pull cable under the dash that initially controls the operation - this allows a solenoid to lock (or unlock if you're disengaging the system) a blocker on the mainshaft making the epicyclic part of the mechanism do it's bit! An electric speed governor makes sure you can only get overdrive above 32mph via a relay on the bulkhead, and there is a floor mounted kickdown switch for those moments of overtaking madness (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

So while the fuel consumption would be enhanced by using it, every junction or tight corner where you would come off the throttle makes the freewheel engage and the power take up is so slack that it spoils your rather sedate progress! I have relegated it to main road use only (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Out of interest, it's a Borg Warner system, and very popular in US products of the 40s and 50s - I guess the wide open spaces make the freewheel idiosyncracies somewhat inconsequential?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 6 Apr 2013, 15:02
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 6 Apr 2013, 03:21 ) *
It is a bit odd, to say the least - Rover P4 and SAAB models had the feature as standard IIRC (probably dependent on gearbox model), and I love the effect on cruising ability but it's not great on country lanes! You can't hop in and out of overdrive like a TR or MG by flicking a switch, it's a pull cable under the dash that initially controls the operation - this allows a solenoid to lock (or unlock if you're disengaging the system) a blocker on the mainshaft making the epicyclic part of the mechanism do it's bit! An electric speed governor makes sure you can only get overdrive above 32mph via a relay on the bulkhead, and there is a floor mounted kickdown switch for those moments of overtaking madness (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Fascinating. Sounds rather like the freewheel on the Series I Land Rovers. Probably identical if found on a P4.

Out of interest, it's a Borg Warner system, and very popular in US products of the 40s and 50s - I guess the wide open spaces make the freewheel idiosyncracies somewhat inconsequential?

Yes indeed. I could drive for a hundred miles if I wished, on a major highway, from my house, before I got to a traffic light. If I go on a long trip, like the 1100 mile journey to Oregon I'll be taking soon, my average speed will be about the same as the average speed limit of about 65 mph on the roads I'll be using. With a nap half way, 1100 miles in about 18 hours driving.... I always say it's less than a days' drive to Portland, Oregon for me! Consequently I almost always am on cruise control, because there are no real "bendy bits" on the trip, including going through the Rocky Mountains at Jasper, and very little traffic. Today I shall visit my mother in Barrhead, 25 miles north, and as soon as I get on to the highway, 4 miles from our house, I'll be in cruise control at 105 kph until I get to Barrhead town limits. Quite different from UK driving!
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 19 Apr 2013, 19:49
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Just out of interest, I did the previously mentioned 'Economy Run last Sunday - and can report the following;

In my hands (or feet) the Isis has achieved around 23-24 mpg on these runs, the highlight being a year where the route was fairly flat and I returned 26! This year with brother driving, I was surprised to see that consumption was worse at 19 ish, but then the organisers were reporting an approx 20% drop in some figures so I was happy. Imagine my amazement when the Westminster I had purloined for the day produced over 24 mpg! All up weight was 1780 kg with three adults on board, so I reckon that's pretty good - especially as I wasn't trying - maybe I should find a 3 litre engine for one of the Isis...

Anyway, here are pics (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

Attached File  140420132382.jpg ( 196.28K ) Number of downloads: 0

At the start - namely the Royal Agricultural College Cirencester - with Westminster, Isis, Daimler Majestic Major, TR3 (obscured), MGA Twin Cam and Mini.

Attached File  140420132388.jpg ( 224.79K ) Number of downloads: 0

At Batsford Arboretum for lunch and note exchange!

Attached File  140420132389.jpg ( 108.58K ) Number of downloads: 0

Clouds looming, wind blowing - at a secret check point manned by Reliant Scimitar GT.

Attached File  140420132390.jpg ( 114.31K ) Number of downloads: 0

Following the Isis through Lower Slaughter - a 'chocolate box' village in the deepest Cotswolds.

Attached File  140420132387.jpg ( 148.9K ) Number of downloads: 0

On the drive of a large house - can't find where it was right now, but I will!

Attached File  140420132393.jpg ( 184.47K ) Number of downloads: 0

At the finish flanked by Lotus Sunbeam and MGB - isn't the Isis tall.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 19 Apr 2013, 22:02
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 20 Apr 2013, 07:49 ) *
Just out of interest, I did the previously mentioned 'Economy Run last Sunday - and can report the following;

In my hands (or feet) the Isis has achieved around 23-24 mpg on these runs, the highlight being a year where the route was fairly flat and I returned 26! This year with brother driving, I was surprised to see that consumption was worse at 19 ish, but then the organisers were reporting an approx 20% drop in some figures so I was happy.

Imagine my amazement when the Westminster I had purloined for the day produced over 24 mpg! All up weight was 1780 kg with three adults on board, so I reckon that's pretty good - especially as I wasn't trying - maybe I should find a 3 litre engine for one of the Isis...

Your Isis still has the low compression engine, doesn't it? I imagine that does not help.
The result for the Wesminster is pleasantly surprising! Mechanically, other than the inlet & front exhaust manifolds what other thing(s) than the distributor would make a difference?
When I got the engine rebuilt in my Isis I was considering boring out the block to 3-litres as the pistons would be easier to get back then. Someone had imported a set of 2.6L Austin Healey pistons in .020 oversize that they then did not use, so that is what was used.
The hoon in me occasionally wonders what a nicely tuned 3-litre engine in an Isis would be like (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 20 Jul 2013, 07:56
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Howard - the other day I read that cross-ply tyres absorb more energy than radial tyres. Was the Westminster on radials?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 20 Jul 2013, 22:49
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic

QUOTE (webmonster @ 20 Jul 2013, 01:56 ) *
Howard - the other day I read that cross-ply tyres absorb more energy than radial tyres. Was the Westminster on radials?

If you're on crossplies you weave around so much that you travel 10% further to get the same distance, hence the fuel saving (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 20 Jul 2013, 23:50
Post #12

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

Crossplies were tyres of their time. I would suggest that there is a strong case for using the radial tyre for reasons discussed on here innumerable times. I suspect that it falls into two categories - those who drive their cars a lot will opt for the advantages of the radial, whilst the crossplies might be for more "show" cars or the dedicated authentic enthusiast. They do look "right" on the older cars; the proportions fill the wheel arch better in a lot of instances.

There is obviously still a reasonable demand for them, as the major manufacturers will still churn out a batch of the popular sizes from time to time.

It will be interesting in a few years time as '80's cars become more accepted in the classic world. French cars not on TRXs and Metros not on metric tyres? What will the world be coming to. (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 01:57