webmonster
post 30 Nov 2012, 23:47
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

The header tank on the Guzzler's radiator has sprung a leak and the core is looking rather shabby as the fins are flaking off.
I had a new core fitted 10-15 years ago and I suspect that it is not the best choice (probably 3 rows of cooling)

The temperature gets too hot when it is idling or driving slowly. The temperature rises when belting up a hill at 60mph but has never overheated.

So, it is time to get this all sorted out!

Currently there is a mechanical fan fitted - the fan blades are big ones from a 6/99. I was thinking about removing these and fitting an electric fan.
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
matthew.h
post 1 Dec 2012, 07:04
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 9,890

ask wolseley car club here in new zealand we may have one if your radiator cant be fix also ask the radiator people to put in thread in the holding tank for the fan cut in/out switch as i have done it on my 1500 but think what temp you want the fan to cut in and buy the switch at the same time so that they can get right thread put in.

This post has been edited by matthew.h: 1 Dec 2012, 07:21
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
DRON
post 4 Dec 2012, 23:42
Post #3

Advanced Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,480
Proud citizen of: au

QUOTE (webmonster @ 1 Dec 2012, 10:47 ) *
The header tank on the Guzzler's radiator has sprung a leak and the core is looking rather shabby as the fins are flaking off.
I had a new core fitted 10-15 years ago and I suspect that it is not the best choice (probably 3 rows of cooling)

The temperature gets too hot when it is idling or driving slowly. The temperature rises when belting up a hill at 60mph but has never overheated.

So, it is time to get this all sorted out!

Currently there is a mechanical fan fitted - the fan blades are big ones from a 6/99. I was thinking about removing these and fitting an electric fan.

At a similar stage here in Melbourne. I have two minor leaks (under pressure) high on the core RHS just below the header tank so the water level runs consistently about 3cm below the neck. Have tried several times to seal with proprietary sealants but only limited success. So it only shorter trips for me at this stage as the Isis behaves just like yours Webmonster, but never boils. I'll crimp the offending tubes over the holiday break and plan for a recore in the next year or so.

Morris Register Christmas Party is on 15 Dec at Como Gardens on eastern edge of Melbourne that features George Hetrel's car museum. I picked up a new set of seat belts yesterday (inertia reel for front and lap for rear) and will fit in time for rest of family to feel safe when traveling in "Morris" with me.

Dennis
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 5 Dec 2012, 08:04
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (DRON @ 5 Dec 2012, 12:42 ) *
At a similar stage here in Melbourne. I have two minor leaks (under pressure) high on the core RHS just below the header tank so the water level runs consistently about 3cm below the neck. Have tried several times to seal with proprietary sealants but only limited success. So it only shorter trips for me at this stage as the Isis behaves just like yours Webmonster, but never boils. I'll crimp the offending tubes over the holiday break and plan for a recore in the next year or so.

The Guzzler can get hot enough to splutter and idle badly, but I don't recall it boiling. I think the tubes are OK, but flaky fins must reduce airflow and cooling. I hope the header tank is repairable - it's made of brass, isn't it?

Morris Register Christmas Party is on 15 Dec at Como Gardens on eastern edge of Melbourne that features George Hetrel's car museum. I picked up a new set of seat belts yesterday (inertia reel for front and lap for rear) and will fit in time for rest of family to feel safe when traveling in "Morris" with me.

Great idea to have the seatbelts. 1955 is the cut off in NZ for not requiring seatbelts, but I have them in my Morrises.
In NZ certifying seatbelts in cars that don't have factory mounts installed can be problematic, even if they have been installed in the car for years and years.
Woe betide someone who replaces doggy old seatbelts and rivets in new mountings. 'These need to be certified, Sir' some inspectors will say, others are more sensible.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
DRON
post 6 Dec 2012, 05:43
Post #5

Advanced Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,480
Proud citizen of: au

QUOTE (webmonster @ 5 Dec 2012, 19:04 ) *
The Guzzler can get hot enough to splutter and idle badly, but I don't recall it boiling. I think the tubes are OK, but flaky fins must reduce airflow and cooling. I hope the header tank is repairable - it's made of brass, isn't it?

Great idea to have the seatbelts. 1955 is the cut off in NZ for not requiring seatbelts, but I have them in my Morrises.
In NZ certifying seatbelts in cars that don't have factory mounts installed can be problematic, even if they have been installed in the car for years and years.
Woe betide someone who replaces doggy old seatbelts and rivets in new mountings. 'These need to be certified, Sir' some inspectors will say, others are more sensible.

Yes I believe the header tank is brass. When I get to the re-core stage I too will remove the steel fan blades and fit an electric fan. Thinking also about an electric water pump fitted into lower hose. Re seatbelts, here the rule is that they will pass a car as it originally came from the factory. Belts became mandatory ex-factory in Australia about 1970 so all earlier cars (if not fitted with them) will pass. So, a Wolseley 24/80 that was ex factory with belts in about 1962 will still need to have them. I decided on lap belts only for the rear as modification for lap/sash would be troublesome unless I fitted a secure harness point across the top of the fuel tank, eg, by installing a bar from wheel arch to arch..
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
matthew.h
post 6 Dec 2012, 12:20
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic

on my 1100 i do have a lap belt at the back but it dont get used much. The problem is that the metal on the top shelf is so thin that it car rip out or bend if you have a crash and have a 3 point belt. lap belt is better than nothing anyway!!. on my dads 1500 there was a lap belt used when ever me or my sis was in the car but if both of us was in the car on the back seat i would have the lap belt as i was the youngest one. Nowdays the lap belt dont get used and it ends up stuff behind the seat out of sunlight,away from things that can damage it. and it never fail a wof becouse it missing. The same with my car it get stuff under the seat and once a year or so i put it out and test it before going for a wof and leave it out so that they can look at it and after a wof it get stuff back down for another year or so.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 17 Dec 2012, 23:27
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Head tank repairs might be up to $150.
The core will need doing in the next couple of years... the radiator man said it would be 'expensive'. The last one he did that was similar was about 5 years ago and that was around $500.
(IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) What would that cost these days?...

Part of the expense is that it would be a one-off custom job.
What are some other solutions?
1. Is is cheaper to get cores/radiators from other parts of the world?
2. Should we get several cores made up in NZ?
3. Is there another model with the same dimensions? I recently saw an ad on trademe for a 6/99 radiator that fitted an Isis. Apparently. Many years ago Bill Williamson commented that the radiator looked very similar to a 6/99

Dimensions of core are:
530(wide) x 380mm (tall

This post has been edited by webmonster: 17 Dec 2012, 23:33
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
matthew.h
post 18 Dec 2012, 00:22
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic

if you put up a photo i can compare what diffrent to the Isis and 6/99 and i also will put a photo of 6/99 one up. i know the w.c.c have some.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 9 Oct 2013, 10:26
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (matthew.h @ 18 Dec 2012, 13:22 ) *
if you put up a photo i can compare what diffrent to the Isis and 6/99 and i also will put a photo of 6/99 one up. i know the w.c.c have some.

Well, it has taken me a while to take a photo or two, but here we are:
Attached File  DSCF8854sm.jpg ( 114.28K ) Number of downloads: 0

As fitted, and you can see evidence of the small leak in the top tank (Bars Leaks has oozed out)
Attached File  DSCF8856sm.jpg ( 69.97K ) Number of downloads: 0

3 bolts holding it in place

Attached File  post_922_1319150727.jpg ( 40.38K ) Number of downloads: 0

As modelled by my littlest helper a couple of years ago. Note the poor condition of the cooling fins.

Width = 530mm
Height (excluding header tanks) = 380mm

Is this the same as 6/99 or 6/110? There is someone advertising a 4-row 6/110 radiator on trademe in Christchurch.

This post has been edited by webmonster: 9 Oct 2013, 10:36
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 9 Oct 2013, 17:48
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,739
Proud citizen of: en

QUOTE (webmonster @ 9 Oct 2013, 11:26 ) *
Well, it has taken me a while to take a photo or two, but here we are:
Attached File  DSCF8854sm.jpg ( 114.28K ) Number of downloads: 0

As fitted, and you can see evidence of the small leak in the top tank (Bars Leaks has oozed out)
Attached File  DSCF8856sm.jpg ( 69.97K ) Number of downloads: 0

3 bolts holding it in place

Attached File  post_922_1319150727.jpg ( 40.38K ) Number of downloads: 0

As modelled by my littlest helper a couple of years ago. Note the poor condition of the cooling fins.

Width = 530mm
Height (excluding header tanks) = 380mm

Is this the same as 6/99 or 6/110? There is someone advertising a 4-row 6/110 radiator on trademe in Christchurch.

I don't think it's the same as anything else - the nearest is the Oxford (which I think is the same as Wol 1500/Riley 1.5?) but the inlet pipe is different.

There are 9 spares in my shed but that doesn't really help you (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 01:57