The Wolseley Forum

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Met the first owner of Wolseley Hornet after 46 years at the NEC!, and DJ Noel Edmonds at Goodwood!
Mrs Nishka
post 25 Nov 2012, 14:11
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16
Proud citizen of: en

I have just been chatting to Barry from the Crayford Convertible Club. He was telling me that when at the NEC last weekend, a guy walked on to his stand and was telling Barry that his mum used to have a Wolseley Hornet and he went to school in it every day. Barry asked him if he could remember the registration number of the Hornet and when the guy quoted this, Barry couldn't believe it! The guy's mum was actually the first owner of Barry's Heinz Hornet!! Don't think the guy could believe it either, when he saw Barry's registration!

Following the NEC, the guy from Basingstoke, his mum still lives in Truro, sent Barry a picture of his mum, dad and 2 brothers with Barry's Hornet taken in 1966, when they picked the car up from a local garage - Mumford's in Truro. The guy and Barry are now going to try and reunite the guy's mum with the Hornet at the Mini meet in March 2013 at Brooklands. Barry said he is still in shock now!

There were 3 Heinz Hornets on the stand at the NEC, a motorbike and 3 Cortinas celebrating 50 years of the Cortina.

Barry went on to tell me that he had been to Goodwood Festival this year. He didn't take his Hornet there as they were celebrating the 50 years of the Cortina. He said he did meet a famous DJ there - Noel Edmonds and took his picture! They were chatting about cars. Noel said he no longer had his classics, he had a GT 40 when he was a DJ. He runs around in a modern car these days.

Barry said he will send in a report about meeting the first owner of his Hornet with the picture.

Just shows, you never know who you may bump into at these gatherings!

Mrs Nishka
Go to the top of the page
PM  
+Quote Post
Mrs Nishka
post 27 Nov 2012, 21:11
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon

Here are the pictures....

Attached File  LLH_813D_presentation0001.jpg ( 46.82K ) Number of downloads: 3

Attached File  SELF_PLUS_57.jpg ( 66.79K ) Number of downloads: 3

Mrs Nishka
PM  
+Quote Post
carey
post 28 Nov 2012, 02:20
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 289
Proud citizen of: au

amazing story, look forward to read about part 2, the meet up
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Mrs Nishka
post 5 Jan 2013, 17:44
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon

Barry has sent some more information received from the guy whose mum originally had the Hornet and pictures...

"During the break we went to Cornwall to visit mum and dad and managed to pick up a couple more bits about the Hornet. The first is another picture of 813D with mum sitting in it on the presentation day. This picture also has LLH 856D one of the other two cars presented on the day in the background (what has become of this one?).

When I first spoke to you I thought the garage the cars were presented at was Mumford’s but I notice in the picture at the time it was HTP Motors which only became Mumford’s at a later date.

The second item and totally unique is a copy of the original letter from Heinz notifying mum she had won the car. Mum would like to point out she was
in fact a Mrs and not a Miss.

We are really looking forward to the 24th of March to be reunited with the car at Brooklands."

Attached File  LLH_813D___856D_picture0001.jpg ( 60.49K ) Number of downloads: 1
PM  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 10:07