Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

Hi everyone,

Here are some photos of my cars.
This is 'The Guzzler', my 1958 Morris Isis. It isn't really all that thirsty, but the engine is almost twice the capacity of an Oxford (2639cc compared to 1489cc).

Attached File  Picture_2545SM.jpg ( 44.5K ) Number of downloads: 2

Just outside of Stratford (Taranaki)

Attached File  1958Isis.jpg ( 26.19K ) Number of downloads: 0

Earning it's keep (it has towed some heavy trailers for us!)

Attached File  003.jpg ( 39.32K ) Number of downloads: 0

Engine bay. Has Austin-Healey pistons, twin SUs from 6/99 (overhauled and re-jetted etc. to 6/90HC spec), slightly more sporting cam profile and Petronix electronic ignition. Goes OK (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Here is Moggy, my 1956 Oxford. This was my first car. Ever. I bought it when I was 19 and it was a real minter - 54,000 miles and 2 owners. It is still very nice, but it has been off the road for 2 years undergoing a very slow restoration of the engine bay. Some rust was replaced in an upper inner wing and in a chassis rail beside the gearbox and under the radiator - the drainholes were covered over by underseal many years ago...

Attached File  MoggyEvening.jpg ( 32.25K ) Number of downloads: 0

Here is Moggy not too long after I bought it. Photo taken in Christchurch.

Attached File  MoggyTaranaki.jpg ( 30.84K ) Number of downloads: 0

A more recent photo taken just outside of New Plymouth.

Here is The Cowley, my 1954 Morris Cowley. It is a very early one - the 176th one built. I bought this one after enjoying my Oxford so much. The paint was patchy and the poor little 1200cc B-series was only running on 3 cylinders. I had the brakes seen to and once I found a set of 20thou oversize 1200cc pistons I had the engine rebuilt. It was off the road for about 10 years due to me moving to New Plymouth and a series of events (including buying an Isis). The Cowley is at my parents house in Christchurch. I'm hatching plans to move it up to New Plymouth; it isn't much fun to only drive it once a year!

Attached File  cowley97.jpg ( 36.51K ) Number of downloads: 0

The Cowley and I not long after I bought it when I was 20.

Attached File  Cowley2007.jpg ( 44.31K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  CowleyRear2007.jpg ( 45.36K ) Number of downloads: 0

The Cowley in 2007 - back on the road after 10 years!

Much as I would like a Wolseley this is very unlikely unless I sell a car I have already. My wife (sensible lady!) doesn't want meto have more than 3 cars. She's right - I wouldn't have the time or money to have any more cars...

Robert
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
paul barrett
post 30 Sep 2010, 10:48
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 9
Proud citizen of: ie

Super looking Vehicles and I must say I love the colours.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
GG
post 30 Sep 2010, 11:44
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 158
Proud citizen of: gb

nice cars .they look great..gg
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
palmerplodder
post 30 Sep 2010, 20:14
Post #4

Member No.: 736
Proud citizen of: en

Lovely! If only mine was that nice! These are inspiring though, so mine will live again!
PM  
+Quote Post
paul barrett
post 30 Sep 2010, 20:17
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic

Great to hear palmerplodder, another Wolseley returns to the Roads.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 2 Oct 2010, 09:30
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (palmerplodder @ 1 Oct 2010, 09:14 ) *
Lovely! If only mine was that nice! These are inspiring though, so mine will live again!

Your Oxford looks OK in the photos!
The paint on the Cowley is a bit thin in places, so the guy didn't paint it all that well. I have decided that I want to learn how to paint because the Oxford's paint is very thin in places and I need to paint the engine bay very soon. I figure that the engine bay is a better place to start than the exterior!

Today my 4 year old tipped over a bike in the garage and made a mighty scratch in the Isis (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
That goes well with the mighty scratch that my son made with his handle bars on the rear wing of the Oxford when he was 4. That wing had recently been painted so it scratched easily. He is 13 now and the scratch is still there (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
paul barrett
post 2 Oct 2010, 10:54
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic

You will get around to sorting out the scratches in time !
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
GG
post 2 Oct 2010, 11:26
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic

I know how you feel, James one of our grandsons was hammering nails into some wood, when the hammer departed from his grip and went up the bonnet, bounced off the screen and took paint offgoing over the bonneton my very nice Rover TC ..GG
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Nishka
post 3 Oct 2010, 14:20
Post #9

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
From: Wolseleyland near the Guild City of Preston, Lancashire
Member No.: 2

Hello Robert and welcome to the Wolseley Forum,

Some great looking cars you have there, I am sure that with some persuasion you will be able to convice your wife that a Wolseley would complete the collection. A guy can never have too many cars! (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

I think it is wonderful that you still have your first ever car, I wish I still had mine (which was a 1973 Ex-Military Land Rover!).

Sorry to hear of the damage that has been caused by your children, but it is inevitable that with a young family, mishaps like this will happen. I can recommend learning to paint yourself though. I did this on my Wedge and it has turned out quite well. I took advice from several people first and had a practice first on another car panel and then I painted my Wedge. This will be, when it is finished, the first car that I have ever painted!

Great to see the pictures, as we like our pictures on the Forum. Also, it is good to see you offering valuable advice to other members as well.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the Forum.

Nishka
and The Wolseley Forum Team
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 4 Oct 2010, 00:33
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nishka @ 4 Oct 2010, 03:20 ) *
Hello Robert and welcome to the Wolseley Forum,

Some great looking cars you have there, I am sure that with some persuasion you will be able to convice your wife that a Wolseley would complete the collection. A guy can never have too many cars! (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

There are a few Wolseleys that I would fancy owning, but if I was allowed just one then I would quite like a 1500 - something smaller than my Morrises.
Being a member of the Wolseley Car Club and a mate of Richard Lane (who has a number of Wolseleys) I've been lucky enough to drive several top notch cars: 6/110mkII (with overdrive), 1500, 4/44 and I've had a ride in a 6/80. All very tempting if I had the space and 'folding ones'...
I think it is wonderful that you still have your first ever car, I wish I still had mine (which was a 1973 Ex-Military Land Rover!).

I'm pleased to still have it and it is hard to imagine not owning it now. I guess I was particularly fortunate that I bought such a good one.
I had been saving my money for a number of years and I paid top dollar for it, which some (stupid) people just couldn't understand. For the same money I could have bought a not-very-nice 10-15 year old Japanese import. The Oxford is now worth at least the same as what I bought it for.
Yes, I've had to spend some money on it, and I was surprised that the one-lady-owner had done some bogging in the rear guards, but it has been not expensive to maintain and extremely reliable.
Sorry to hear of the damage that has been caused by your children, but it is inevitable that with a young family, mishaps like this will happen.

Yes, you can't wrap a car in cotton wool. Bit of a downer when it happens though (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I can recommend learning to paint yourself though. I did this on my Wedge and it has turned out quite well. I took advice from several people first and had a practice first on another car panel and then I painted my Wedge. This will be, when it is finished, the first car that I have ever painted!

I've done up to the first coat of primer now, so full steam ahead!

Welcome aboard and enjoy the Forum.

Thanks - its nice to be here (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
paul barrett
post 4 Oct 2010, 05:40
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic

Thank you for the compliments ! We hope we can help, all you have to do is ask.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Nishka
post 4 Oct 2010, 08:00
Post #12

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (webmonster @ 4 Oct 2010, 01:33 ) *
All very tempting if I had the space and 'folding ones'...

Now then - 'folding ones'. Just think if this was possible, we could have even more Wolseleys if they could be folded and packed into a smaller space!

Nishka
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 2 Dec 2010, 09:52
Post #13

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

I've been slowly working on my Oxford as much as time allows.
I'm hoping to have the engine bay of my Oxford painted this Sunday:
Attached File  Moggy_EngineBayPrimed.jpg ( 30.45K ) Number of downloads: 0

Work done on inner wing in 2009:
Attached File  inner_wing.jpg ( 24.7K ) Number of downloads: 0

Rust stopped before it became serious:
Attached File  inner_wing_outer.jpg ( 30.64K ) Number of downloads: 0

Repainted steering gear (bit dusty though...):
Attached File  susp.jpg ( 31.49K ) Number of downloads: 0

Some grot removed and replaced at the extreme front of a chassis rail:
Attached File  chassis_front.jpg ( 23.66K ) Number of downloads: 0

A previous adventure. Moggy in the Southern Alps, close to Arthurs Pass:
Attached File  Alpine_Oxford.jpg ( 30.38K ) Number of downloads: 0

One of my helpers (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) :
Attached File  DSCF8361.JPG ( 27.72K ) Number of downloads: 0
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
paul barrett
post 2 Dec 2010, 09:58
Post #14

Wolseley Fanatic

Thank You, for the excellent photographs, an extremely thorough job being done by the looks of things.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
GG
post 2 Dec 2010, 10:12
Post #15

Wolseley Fanatic

Certainly looks great ..gg
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Richard-Essex
post 2 Dec 2010, 10:30
Post #16

Super Poster

Member No.: 520
Proud citizen of: la

Nice work on the inner wings and outriggers! I have to say it does look very nice overall. Love the Isis and particularly the two-tone colour scheme, Florentine Blue over Old English White? I bet that C series really goes well, but do you find the steering much heavier than the Oxford with all that weight up front?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 3 Dec 2010, 07:23
Post #17

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Richard-Essex @ 2 Dec 2010, 23:30 ) *
Nice work on the inner wings and outriggers!

...not done by me, although I am interested in learning how to weld. This great work was done by Jamie.

I have to say it does look very nice overall. Love the Isis and particularly the two-tone colour scheme, Florentine Blue over Old English White?

The white is more of an ivory colour and the blue is a Leyland P76 colour (has a hint of green in it). I think the colours are great (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Originally it was blue all over, but the blue and white is a factory colour option.

I bet that C series really goes well

Indeed sir, it does (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) What people think is an old Oxford goes rather smartly. Sounds great too...
but do you find the steering much heavier than the Oxford with all that weight up front?

yes the steering is much heavier that the Oxford and there is play in the system. The Oxford has rack and pinion steering and is very direct. Having said that, the Isis needs a new trunnion/swivel pin, so the wheel alignment is right out.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
GG
post 3 Dec 2010, 07:57
Post #18

Wolseley Fanatic

great coloures gg
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Nishka
post 3 Dec 2010, 09:27
Post #19

Administrator
Group Icon

Great work webmonster. Please keep us posted.

Nishka
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 4 Dec 2010, 07:40
Post #20

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

I finished replacing the front wheel cylinder cups on the Oxford today. I'm glad I took one out on Thursday night to check the size - they were 15/16ths where the catalogue in the shop said that were 13/16ths. I was silly enough to lose the spring and black thingy when I took the cup out on Thursday. After a lot of looking I found them in the rubbish, which wasn't very clever of me.

The cylinders were in excellent condition because I had them sleeved in stainless steel the last time the cups were replaced (about 10 years ago) - much nicer to not see lots of grotty corrosion!

I reassembled using lots of rubber grease, bled both front wheels and all is well - except for the fingertips on my right hand which I managed to squash while struggling to take one of the brake drums off.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 10:08