Martin Hamilton
post 24 Nov 2017, 06:16
Post #1

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 25,499
Proud citizen of: en

Morning all
(or at least its morning [6.16 am] here)

I have a refurb 3-core rad. I need new hoses as you do, especialy as the old ones have seen better days.

Can anyone suggest if there are compatible hoses (e.g. series V / Riley 1500)? And where I can get the correct hoses? Or if not, what are my options?

Cheers!
Martin
Go to the top of the page
PM  
+Quote Post
ozieagle
post 24 Nov 2017, 18:52
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 6,924
Proud citizen of: au

Martin,

What I do is to take the hose I want to replace and go to the local auto shop with it. Then I rummage through their stock of hoses to find one with the right diameter and useful curves. I usually need to cut bits off to make what I need.

Herb
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 24 Nov 2017, 23:50
Post #3

Super Poster

QUOTE (ozieagle @ 24 Nov 2017, 18:52 ) *
Martin, What I do is to take the hose I want to replace and go to the local auto shop with it. Then I rummage through their stock of hoses to find one with the right diameter and useful curves. I usually need to cut bits off to make what I need. Herb

Thanks Herb, I might try that when I get the rad out.
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 26 Nov 2017, 08:46
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

I'm pretty sure that B-series Farina radiator hoses are the same.
Earlpart probably has them.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 26 Nov 2017, 10:40
Post #5

Super Poster

QUOTE (webmonster @ 26 Nov 2017, 08:46 ) *
I'm pretty sure that B-series Farina radiator hoses are the same.
Earlpart probably has them.

Thanks mate.

I've compared what's in my parts manual / service manual with the Earlpart drawings and they look identical. Earlpart are about 10% dearer than NTG who have a branded website in association with BMC Farina (The Cambridge Oxford Owners club).

Looking through my 100's of "Morris Oxford" bookmarks I found I had already bookmarked a full NTG hose set last year ....and promptly forgotten about the subject. So I've ordered the full set with circlips.

I also found a NOS top hose on ebay for £1.99 which I've bought on the offchance it may still be supple enough to keep as a spare.

I notice NTG (I think) sell a 6-blade plastic fan and wondered if that would offer any improvement over my 4-blade metal one?

Cheers!
Martin

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 27 Nov 2017, 04:05
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 26 Nov 2017, 23:40 ) *
Thanks mate.

I've compared what's in my parts manual / service manual with the Earlpart drawings and they look identical. Earlpart are about 10% dearer than NTG who have a branded website in association with BMC Farina (The Cambridge Oxford Owners club).

Now you mention it I think that NTG are sponsors of this forum.

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 26 Nov 2017, 10:40 ) *
I notice NTG (I think) sell a 6-blade plastic fan and wondered if that would offer any improvement over my 4-blade metal one?

Probably would shift more air. Are you suffering overheating problems? My Oxford is fine with standard fan.

However... checking your metal fan for cracks can be a good idea - they chop a hole in whatever they go through when they let go!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 27 Nov 2017, 09:36
Post #7

Super Poster

QUOTE (webmonster @ 27 Nov 2017, 04:05 ) *
Probably would shift more air. Are you suffering overheating problems? My Oxford is fine with standard fan.

However... checking your metal fan for cracks can be a good idea - they chop a hole in whatever they go through when they let go!

I like to plan ahead mate - I've no reason to think there will be an issue long term, but as I spot these things while looking for something else it prompts questions. When I have answers they can go into the bible I keep for the car in case they're needed. Let's face it a 6 blade plastic fan is a lot easier (and cheaper) to fit than a thermostatic one!

I haven't I driven it enough, but I think it will overhreat on a run as:
  • the timing's out;
  • the carb is knackered and running not so much rich as filthy-as-a-billionaire-obscenely-wealthy-rich (10 mpg?) and
  • the rad probably has 60 years of crud in it (but I have a recon 3-core in my garage).

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 27 Nov 2017, 15:12
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 19,302

Cars run hot when the mixture is weak. All that extra petrol will cool it down. Ha, ha.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 27 Nov 2017, 18:40
Post #9

Super Poster

QUOTE (Fred Oldham @ 27 Nov 2017, 15:12 ) *
Cars run hot when the mixture is weak. All that extra petrol will cool it down. Ha, ha.

Spot on, Fred. In fact there's so much petrol being used that the engine stays completely cold (in my garage, unused! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 28 Nov 2017, 04:35
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

estimated 10mpg is impressive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My Oxford and Cowley got hot going up hills. Their timing was out - too far advanced - I could hear them pinking going up those hills.
So - do check the timing and also that the distributor is working like it should. I put a SimonBBC distributor with 'leccy ignition into the Cowley and the Oxford had it's DM2 dizzy rebuilt and I fitted a Pertronix 'leccy ignition to it.
Carb... is it leaking a lot? Does the throttle shaft show a lot of side to side or up and down movement if you waggle it?

When you fit your new radiator are you able to fit a filter of some sort to catch any crud that comes from the engine block?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 28 Nov 2017, 12:38
Post #11

Super Poster

QUOTE (webmonster @ 28 Nov 2017, 04:35 ) *
estimated 10mpg is impressive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Carb... is it leaking a lot? Does the throttle shaft show a lot of side to side or up and down movement if you waggle it?

When you fit your new radiator are you able to fit a filter of some sort to catch any crud that comes from the engine block?

Hi Mate
Carb: The carb is worn in every dimension, plus someone has unsucessfully bodged the fast idle screw and damaged the thread so it will never work - I'm happy to give it over to a pro for reconditioning.

Filter: I had no idea such a cooling system filter existed - its certainly something to consider. This is the first and only UK link I found on the net - Radiator Filter Shop. They supply the American Gano filter (never heard of it!) and its certainly worth considering - I wonder if anyone has any experience of using them?

================EDIT below

On Amazon US there are 20 reviews of this filter, showing a 35% failure rate due to the product being "too flimsy" and "cracked". Several reviewers mention "other products" but not what they are. Most comments also note that its an absolute swine to clean so perhaps regular flushing is a more reliable solution*? (* if you'll forgive the pun)

There's also this very detailed review on the Jag-lovers forum in the US (I think), which mentions a couple of other filters, plus a couple of DIY solutions including a tea-strainer!

================

Cheers!
Martin

This post has been edited by Martin Hamilton: 28 Nov 2017, 13:25
PM  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 28 Nov 2017, 20:41
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 19,302

I think a standard rad flush additive, used a couple of times and then use a good antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor, should see things right.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Darvie43
post 28 Nov 2017, 22:13
Post #13

Super Poster

Member No.: 19,807

The Austin 1300 America used a plastic fan in 1967 but had to revert to a steel fan after 1 had a blade come off and kill a mechanic, so anyone using an old plastic fan be aware, just watching the blades flex when snapping the throttle open is frightening.
Many years ago Australias most knowledgeable Studebaker repairer was killed while working on the engine by a blade flying off.

PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 28 Nov 2017, 22:56
Post #14

Super Poster

QUOTE (Darvie43 @ 28 Nov 2017, 22:13 ) *
The Austin 1300 America used a plastic fan in 1967 but had to revert to a steel fan after 1 had a blade come off and kill a mechanic, so anyone using an old plastic fan be aware, just watching the blades flex when snapping the throttle open is frightening.
Many years ago Australias most knowledgeable Studebaker repairer was killed while working on the engine by a blade flying off.

I'll take that one off the list then, and do as fred says......

I wonder if I should start using one of those old diving suits next time I'm working on the car. Nice and warm, built-in knee protectors and a goodly degree of head protection (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
PM  
+Quote Post
ozieagle
post 1 Dec 2017, 19:46
Post #15

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 6,924

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 29 Nov 2017, 09:56 ) *
I wonder if I should start using one of those old diving suits next time I'm working on the car. Nice and warm, built-in knee protectors and a goodly degree of head protection (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

A bit awkward working under the dash, though.

Herb
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 1 Dec 2017, 23:08
Post #16

Super Poster

QUOTE (ozieagle @ 1 Dec 2017, 19:46 ) *
A bit awkward working under the dash, though.

Herb

Oh I don't know, here are some car-themed helmets, Herb

Cheers!
Martin
Attached File(s)
Attached File  driving_helmets_by_celestial298.jpg ( 164.06K ) Number of downloads: 0

PM  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 14:39