> Tools
Martin Hamilton
post 20 Nov 2017, 17:08
Post #1

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 25,499
Proud citizen of: en

Hi Everyone. As I am currently deprived of the chance working on my traveller I thought I would canvas opinion as to the tools that you keep in your car for those "out-and-about" mechanical or electrical emergencies.

So far I have gotten as far as
  • a 1/4" drive A/F ratchet set;
  • a magic screwdriver (4 bits cunningly held in a double-ended shaft);
  • a fan- belt (especially as mine is non-standard for the Oxford)
  • a spark plug or two, plus socket
  • a lithium battery wheel-nut gun (& modern scissor jack)
I wondered if I should have a spare electronic ignition module (I have replaced the points) but the Powerspark one I've fitted (plus new coil) has no moving parts and I can't see what could go wrong with it?!)

I have a few other thoughts but wondered what you carry?

Cheers!
Martin

This post has been edited by Martin Hamilton: 20 Nov 2017, 17:40
Go to the top of the page
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 20 Nov 2017, 18:32
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

AF spanners, bits of wire, insulating tape, a few ty-raps, pliers, lamps, fuses, odd screws and nuts and bolts. Remember that the big yellow (or orange) tool box no longer carries parts for "our" cars.

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 20 Nov 2017, 17:08 ) *
I wondered if I should have a spare electronic ignition module (I have replaced the points) but the Powerspark one I've fitted (plus new coil) has no moving parts and I can't see what could go wrong with it?!)

Elephant in room....... I hate those red electronic modules with a passion. I've had two fail and left me stranded. I think the heat cooks them. So - points, condenser and appropriate screws for refitting the points which will reliably take you home.

Gets off hobby horse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Nishka
post 20 Nov 2017, 19:24
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
From: Wolseleyland near the Guild City of Preston, Lancashire
Member No.: 2
Proud citizen of: gb

As Mr P aludes too, I always carry a big yellow tool box (or orange if you prefer) in every car I am in (driver or passenger). Actually it is my AA (or RAC) card carried in my wallet. Be carefull of some recovery services though, as some have an age limit on the oldest vehicle they will recover. (The green wavy one is a maximum of 17 years I believe!).

Other than that, how about:

Petrol can (full of course)
Water
Torch
Jump Leads
Hand Cleaner

And if any of our member are Diabetic, then I would also recommend some high energy biscuits!

Nishka
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 20 Nov 2017, 19:27
Post #4

Super Poster

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 20 Nov 2017, 19:32 ) *
Elephant in room....... I hate those red electronic modules with a passion. I've had two fail and left me stranded. I think the heat cooks them. So - points, condenser and appropriate screws for refitting the points which will reliably take you home.

P45.

Which bit failed, P45?

Cheers
Martin
Attached File(s)

PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 20 Nov 2017, 20:01
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

Complete absence of volts at the end of the red and black wires. Twice.

Consider - Powerspark unit is £30 with a one year warranty. Cheap points and condenser - £7/8. Quality points and condenser £12/15. If the electronic unit fails on the road, you're knackered, even if it's within warranty. Carrying a spare puts you in for £60. You can get about 12,000 miles out of a set of points with basic maintenance, which is several years (at least) motoring for many classic owners. Points rarely fail in use. Condensers do, but you can swap it in under 10 minutes and away you go. I have real doubts as to the point and reliability of many supposed updates and even got published in the December issue of Practical Classics saying just that.

I am also a member of the Flat Earth Society. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 20 Nov 2017, 23:06
Post #6

Super Poster

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 20 Nov 2017, 21:01 ) *
Complete absence of volts at the end of the red and black wires. Twice. Consider - Powerspark unit is £30 with a one year warranty. Cheap points and condenser - £7/8. Quality points and condenser £12/15. If the electronic unit fails on the road, you're knackered, even if it's within warranty. Carrying a spare puts you in for £60. You can get about 12,000 miles out of a set of points with basic maintenance, which is several years (at least) motoring for many classic owners. Points rarely fail in use. Condensers do, but you can swap it in under 10 minutes and away you go. I have real doubts as to the point and reliability of many supposed updates and even got published in the December issue of Practical Classics saying just that. I am also a member of the Flat Earth Society. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) P45.

Interesting (that's "interesting good" BTW) . I also replaced the coil and wonder if it will be OK if I revert to points?
Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 20 Nov 2017, 23:17
Post #7

Super Poster

QUOTE (Nishka @ 20 Nov 2017, 20:24 ) *
. Be carefull of some recovery services though, as some have an age limit on the oldest vehicle they will recover. (The green wavy one is a maximum of 17 years I believe!).

I'm with LV (Britttania) with an "any car you drive" cover. I asked about the Oxford specifically mentioning its age and the reply was "any car you drive".

I have all my insurances with LV and all my banking with Nationwide as they are amongst the last of the Friendly Societies " (Mutual) and therefore owned by and operated on behalf of their members (customers). I've found the pricing keen and the customer service exemplary - no profits creamed off by wealth funds for the super rich! (end of commercial).

Cheers!
Martin.
PM  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 21 Nov 2017, 01:48
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

The more junk you cart around with you the less likely you'll ever need it!

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 21 Nov 2017, 09:01
Post #9

Super Poster

QUOTE (Danny @ 21 Nov 2017, 02:48 ) *
The more junk you cart around with you the less likely you'll ever need it!

Danny

Oh absolutely. I find taking my sunglasses out of my pocket is an excellent way of chasing the sun away. Likewise, that emergency Kag-in-a-bag is only ever needed when its not in my backpack..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 21 Nov 2017, 09:29
Post #10

Super Poster

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 20 Nov 2017, 20:01 ) *
Complete absence of volts at the end of the red and black wires. Twice.

Consider - Powerspark unit is £30 with a one year warranty. Cheap points and condenser - £7/8.

Or Powerspark points & condenser £7. Good enough as a backup, provided one has retained the original screw to mount the condenser (and can remember where it goes!). So a feeler gauge would be an essential part of the car kit.....

This post has been edited by Martin Hamilton: 21 Nov 2017, 11:00

PM  
+Quote Post
wolseley16/60aut...
post 21 Nov 2017, 10:56
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 555
Proud citizen of: nz

I always carry ; a spare fuel pump, instant gasket stuff, sockets from 1/4"-1 1/8th",spanners from 3/16"-1 1/8th,"complete distributor, multimeter, trolley jack, lots of spare wiring & connectors, sharp scissors & insulation tape, wire strippers & crimpers [ spade terminals etc. ]

This post has been edited by wolseley16/60auto: 21 Nov 2017, 10:56
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 21 Nov 2017, 11:06
Post #12

Super Poster

QUOTE (wolseley16/60auto @ 21 Nov 2017, 10:56 ) *
I always carry ; a spare fuel pump, instant gasket stuff, sockets from 1/4"-1 1/8th",spanners from 3/16"-1 1/8th,"complete distributor, multimeter, trolley jack, lots of spare wiring & connectors, sharp scissors & insulation tape, wire strippers & crimpers [ spade terminals etc. ]

Really? Surely you're winding us up?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I mean, I don't think a trolley jack will fit in my barn toolbox.....but my membership card for Brittania Rescue will most definitely (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by Martin Hamilton: 21 Nov 2017, 11:07
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 21 Nov 2017, 11:10
Post #13

Super Poster

Hoses...... Strike me as both small enough to fit in the spare wheel bay and vital enough because no breakdown service will carry them.

So where can I get hoses for a 59 Oxford?

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 21 Nov 2017, 13:34
Post #14

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 19,302

I don’t think there is a right answer. I carry a few basic tools, but no spare parts. If Christine does decide to play rough, she can go home on a truck. Saves me the petrol money. We can both sulk and have words in the garage tomorrow!

P.S. I’m with Nationwide and Brit Rescue too.

This post has been edited by Fred Oldham: 21 Nov 2017, 13:35
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 21 Nov 2017, 17:09
Post #15

Super Poster

QUOTE (Fred Oldham @ 21 Nov 2017, 13:34 ) *
I don’t think there is a right answer. I carry a few basic tools, but no spare parts. If Christine does decide to play rough, she can go home on a truck. Saves me the petrol money. We can both sulk and have words in the garage tomorrow!

P.S. I’m with Nationwide and Brit Rescue too.

I agree there's no "correct" answer, Fred I just wanted to be sure I hadn't forgotten something obvious - two of which were mentioned by P45.... fuses and points! I think Mr Stanley's magic screwdriver an adjustable spanner; a few A/F spanners and a pair of mole grips ought do do it at the very basic level. After that its Britannia's very reliable classic car transport and fixing service.

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
ozieagle
post 21 Nov 2017, 20:16
Post #16

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 6,924

I have a get home box, which contains a set of combination open end and ring spanners, a set of sockets and ratchet handle, fuses, wire tape pliers, screw drivers (NOT Phillips, but POZIDRIVE), coil, dizzy, fuel pump, LED trouble light and other bits and pieces I can't remember off hand.

The only time Wooly let me down the coil had gone open in the primary. Not a problem, spare coil in the get home box. Wait...one problem, the get home box was at home. Unhappy wife had to bring it to me.

Herb
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
rustyroger
post 22 Nov 2017, 17:35
Post #17

Advanced Poster

Member No.: 15,009

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 20 Nov 2017, 18:32 ) *
AF spanners, bits of wire, insulating tape, a few ty-raps, pliers, lamps, fuses, odd screws and nuts and bolts. Remember that the big yellow (or orange) tool box no longer carries parts for "our" cars.

P45.

Points pros: Cheap, simple as an anvil, cheap, spares fitted in minutes, cheap, very little space needed for spare set and cheap.
Electronic ignition pros; Fit and forget.

Points cons; Can go bad from LACK of use, need attention from time to time, gradually go out of tune due to wear.
Electronic ignition cons; Cost, cannot be serviced, spare bulky and expensive.

A set of decent quality 3/8" drive sockets would be more useful than 1/4" drive imo.

Roger.

This post has been edited by rustyroger: 22 Nov 2017, 17:35
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 22 Nov 2017, 18:59
Post #18

Super Poster

QUOTE (rustyroger @ 22 Nov 2017, 17:35 ) *
Points pros: Cheap, simple as an anvil, cheap, spares fitted in minutes, cheap, very little space needed for spare set and cheap.
Electronic ignition pros; Fit and forget.

Points cons; Can go bad from LACK of use, need attention from time to time, gradually go out of tune due to wear.
Electronic ignition cons; Cost, cannot be serviced, spare bulky and expensive.

A set of decent quality 3/8" drive sockets would be more useful than 1/4" drive imo.

Roger.

A "backup" powerspark module but consisting of rotor arm, breakers and condenser is £7. The coil works regardless, Roger, so not too bulky.

I lied about the 1/4 drive socket set, I've just checked on my quality ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ) made in China set and it is 3/8 drive. I have more genuine quality A/F sockets (3/8 & 1/2 drive) than you can shake a stick at, but they're a bit bulky and not in a purpose-made box.

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 22 Nov 2017, 19:11
Post #19

Super Poster

Here's where I've got to, thanks for all the replies. Comments or insults welcome in equal measure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Tools_in_boot.jpg ( 94.57K ) Number of downloads: 0

PM  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 23 Nov 2017, 00:55
Post #20

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742

I carried one of those cans of instant puncture repair stuff around in the boot for about 20 years...untill someone told me it doesn't work with tubes. (Or at all?)

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 01:49