Martin Hamilton
post 9 Nov 2017, 17:20
Post #1

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 25,499
Proud citizen of: en

Hi everyone.

As a part of the de-rust / re-spray process all of the windows are coming out. The windscreen and door window seals are fine. The quarter window seals are hanging on in there and are acceptable.... I've been told these are almost impossible to find so I'll run with them unless anyone has a source.

However, the rear side windows and rear door / hatch are terrible. they're hard as concrete and badly cracked.

Can anyone suggest where I can get replacements - or indeed of what type. The current rubber looks like a central band and a second almost fabric band on the outer edge. Sorry for the poor quality picture, the light in the workshop is less than good! I'm not precious about the type of seal - it doesn't have to be contemporary, I just want a good seal and a tidy-looking result.

Cheers
Martin

This post has been edited by Martin Hamilton: 9 Nov 2017, 17:22
Attached File(s)
Attached File  20171109_134551_crop_3_1280x653.jpg ( 218.64K ) Number of downloads: 0

Go to the top of the page
PM  
+Quote Post
ozieagle
post 9 Nov 2017, 20:36
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 6,924
Proud citizen of: au

Hi Martin,

I can't help you with a local distributor, but the type of seal you need is like the attached. There is a rubber strip that fits in the external channel and locks the screen in place.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Screen_rubber.jpg ( 10.39K ) Number of downloads: 0

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Darvie43
post 9 Nov 2017, 22:57
Post #3

Super Poster

Member No.: 19,807

That drawing looks like a mini front and rear screen seal, i used that on the front of the MG Magnette ZB.
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 9 Nov 2017, 23:31
Post #4

Super Poster

QUOTE (ozieagle @ 9 Nov 2017, 21:36 ) *
Hi Martin,

I can't help you with a local distributor, but the type of seal you need is like the attached. There is a rubber strip that fits in the external channel and locks the screen in place.

Ta for that - really useful
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 9 Nov 2017, 23:33
Post #5

Super Poster

QUOTE (Darvie43 @ 9 Nov 2017, 23:57 ) *
That drawing looks like a mini front and rear screen seal, i used that on the front of the MG Magnette ZB.

Thanks mate, that too is really useful - especially as mini bits are much easier to get hold of!
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 9 Nov 2017, 23:52
Post #6

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

COH BAINES. Just about every rubber section ever made.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 10 Nov 2017, 00:44
Post #7

Super Poster

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 10 Nov 2017, 00:52 ) *
COH BAINES. Just about every rubber section ever made.

P45.

Thanks again, P45. I've emailed an enquiry to them, most useful.

Cheers
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 10 Nov 2017, 11:34
Post #8

Super Poster

Mega thanks to Ozieagle for the profile drawing.

Here's where I am:

Baines don't have a listing for the Series IV so I've sent Michael (their General Manager) a copy of the profile and am waiting for a reply.

I also found East Kent Trim Supplies who advertise a rear screen rubber that fits all Oxfords Series ii - v. I've queried if this will fit my traveller (as I wonder if the rear window on the Traveller is different to the saloon?) and also sent them a copy of the profile.

As far as the rear side windows are concerned I think the way forwards is to remove the windows and send a sample to both companies, unless anyone has details of the correct seal (e.g. "its the same as....").

I'll edit this reply when I have some news.

Cheers
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
ozieagle
post 10 Nov 2017, 20:38
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 6,924

Hi Martin,

Thanks for using the picture I posted of the profile, but be aware that the dimensions may not suit your car, it was just a picture of the type of seal you need.
If you get a seal, by the metre, be aware that the corners may be difficult.

Herb
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 11 Nov 2017, 05:55
Post #10

Super Poster

QUOTE (ozieagle @ 10 Nov 2017, 21:38 ) *
Hi Martin,

Thanks for using the picture I posted of the profile, but be aware that the dimensions may not suit your car, it was just a picture of the type of seal you need.
If you get a seal, by the metre, be aware that the corners may be difficult.

Herb

Thanks Herb - I think the solution is to send off a couple of samples. I realised I was going to have to do that for the side windows anyhow.

There is a company advertising rear screen rubbers for the Oxford so hopefully it comes with corners - but if its just a length it's still gong to be terribly easy because I'm not doing it (!). My hands are no longer able to grip sufficiently for this particular job (maybe after the offending bone is removed and four corner fusion is done for each hand I will, but with the state of our NHS who knows when that will be!)

My friend and his son are very experienced at this and I'm leaving it up to them!

Cheers
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
MYKE
post 11 Nov 2017, 13:37
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 9,175

A word on Mini screen rubbers. I fitted mine in the 1500 in 2012 and there is no sign of water ingress at all front or rear. I fitted it into the frame first, then fitted the glass into the rubber, followed by the plastic sealing strip which locks everything in place and provides a water tight seal. No leaks, even on the corners.
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 11 Nov 2017, 18:03
Post #12

Super Poster

QUOTE (MYKE @ 11 Nov 2017, 14:37 ) *
A word on Mini screen rubbers. I fitted mine in the 1500 in 2012 and there is no sign of water ingress at all front or rear. I fitted it into the frame first, then fitted the glass into the rubber, followed by the plastic sealing strip which locks everything in place and provides a water tight seal. No leaks, even on the corners.

Thanks Myke. So in principle mini screen rubbers should fit?

I'll post details here of what is eventually fitted.

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 15 Nov 2017, 09:25
Post #13

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

For the rear passenger doors - the 1/4 lights are a different shape to the series II/III, but I imagine the profile of the rubber would be the same. These are available from India and buying a couple for each door could give you enough to play around with. The internal steel frame for the window could be nasty and rusty - it was in my Isis!

If you can take out the rear screen can you cut a section of the rock-hard rubber seal to send to someone as a template?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 15 Nov 2017, 14:14
Post #14

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 19,302

If you can do that, I’ll compare it with the section for my rear screen and windscreen. Never know your luck.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 15 Nov 2017, 17:48
Post #15

Super Poster

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

A local resto professional recommended Phoenix Trim to me as being knowledgeable, competent and friendly - and they are only 20 miles South of my house. The rear and one side window are out and this morning I've taken the old concrete seals down to Phoenix at the little Devon village of Uffculme and bought replacements. (There are also some lovely dog walks in this area, but that's another story)

The lady who runs it is very knowledgeable and has explained the crucial points which are that
  • the slots into which the glass and frame fit should be the correct width and depth (yes, I know, but its possible to get the correct width but not depth, etc.!)
  • This bears on the most important measurement - that the width of rubber between the two slots for frame and glass MUST be the same as currently. If its too wide it risks the window cracking when we put it back because it will be pressuring the glass.
There was no exact match, but there were seals that were spot on for the key frame to glass measurement for both rear and side windows and I have bought those, with significant redundancy for each type to allow for any problems cutting or fitting.

Even with the added redundancy it cost me the princely sum of £45 in total for one 3 metre length (I need 2 metres) of rear and one 7 metre length (I need 2 x 1.75 m = 3.5m) of side; plus 10 metres of rubber piping to fit the outwards-facing slot and lock it all in place. Its worth noting that chrome and red infills are available for the outwards-facing slot, but they need to be custom-formed to the exact dimensions of the window and I wasn't confident in my measuring abilities. Add to that the original fitment was rubber and the chrome is more expensive and a bugger to fit - and it was an easy choice.

Considering East Kent Trim is offering a rear window rubber only for £35 plus carriage that seems to be pretty good value for money!

Phoenix also sell the "woven snapon & rubber" door seals with the tweed fabric covering in red or black for £8.80 per metre. Woolies sell this for £9.90 per metre.

So, given the fact I can simply pop down the M5 with my samples, the pricing is competitive and the proprietor knowledgeable* I think I'll carry on with them.
(* she records the vehicle make and model onto which the seals are going; its date of manufacture and which window its for. This goes onto her database so if anyone rings up asking for a particular window seal for a particular vehicle she has a head start supplying one without needing to see a sample).

Cheers
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 15 Nov 2017, 17:55
Post #16

Super Poster

QUOTE (webmonster @ 15 Nov 2017, 10:25 ) *
For the rear passenger doors - the 1/4 lights are a different shape to the series II/III, but I imagine the profile of the rubber would be the same. These are available from India and buying a couple for each door could give you enough to play around with. The internal steel frame for the window could be nasty and rusty - it was in my Isis!

If you can take out the rear screen can you cut a section of the rock-hard rubber seal to send to someone as a template?

Thanks Robert. The rear door 1/4 window seals look fine as do the steel frames, the seals seem to have been replaced at some stage judging by their "rubberiness". As you can see above, I took the whole rear seal to a local supplier. Rock-hard was an excellent description. Horribly-black-staining-dust-all-over my-hands-and-car-boot is another (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 17 Nov 2017, 04:14
Post #17

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 16 Nov 2017, 06:55 ) *
Thanks Robert. The rear door 1/4 window seals look fine as do the steel frames, the seals seem to have been replaced at some stage judging by their "rubberiness".

Great to know the seals look to be in good condition.
You can only see the steel frames if you dismantle the door and take the whole 1/4 window assembly out. the frames are held in by two philips head screws.
As you can see above, I took the whole rear seal to a local supplier. Rock-hard was an excellent description. Horribly-black-staining-dust-all-over my-hands-and-car-boot is another (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah, they get pretty nasty when they decay...
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 17 Nov 2017, 05:59
Post #18

Super Poster

QUOTE (webmonster @ 17 Nov 2017, 05:14 ) *
You can only see the steel frames if you dismantle the door and ....

Or you can lift the inside and outside of the seal with a spatula and have a butchers.... I know it's not the best method but what metal is revealed is clean, dry shows repainting from when the car was last re-sprayed in the noughties. The quality of that job was "very good" according to my friend (who is a pro body restorer of 30 years standing and many years sitting; kneeling and laying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) and it seems unlikely that any defects would not have been attended to.

This post has been edited by Martin Hamilton: 17 Nov 2017, 06:00
PM  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 14:37