Martin Hamilton
post 28 Oct 2017, 11:59
Post #1

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 25,499
Proud citizen of: en

Yes, really.

Memory and someone else (I forget who) reminded me that there should be a locknut fitted beneath the gear knob but there is no nut on my Oxford. I've tried fitting a different (new) BMC gear-knob but the result is the same, a very wobbly knob. (The opportunity for punnery should probably best be avoided)

I've tried fitting a correct-thread "standard" nut but its too thick and leaves insufficient thread for the knob. Richard Monk has just sent me one, but its also a "standard thickness nut".

I walked 8 miles at the Beaulieu auto-jumble looking for one, amongst other things, but no joy (I mention this purely as background and to give an idea of the size of the site for anyone who hasn't been).

Can anyone tell me if I am right and a "thin" locknut is required underneath the knob? And possibly where to get one?

Might an alternative be to purchase a gear knob with a longer internal thread and if so which would that be?

This was not the sort of question I thought I would ever need to ask during the project but its all grist to the mill I suppose (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Cheers
Martin
Go to the top of the page
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 28 Oct 2017, 15:31
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

What thread is the "standard" nut?

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 28 Oct 2017, 16:23
Post #3

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 25,499
Proud citizen of: en

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 28 Oct 2017, 16:31 ) *
What thread is the "standard" nut?

P45.

When I say "standard, I mean "not flat", P45. Its quite a course thread. I think I have a thread measuring tool... watch this space.

Cheers
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 22:16