Martin Hamilton
post 25 Oct 2017, 16:26
Post #1

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 25,499
Proud citizen of: en

Hi all
I have an impending re-spray (before Christmas is the plan). My Series IV Traveller was re-sprayed by (for) the previous-but-one owner but with all the current welding; fettling and new chrome it will need / want a full re-spray so I have the opportunity to re-consider the colour scheme.

The previous re-spray was "so-say" to match the colour of the original brochure but it doesn't - I have a mint copy (1st pic is taken from a 1200dpi high-res scan) and its not even close.

While the current cream is a good match, the green is so close to black that it's almost indistinguishable (from black). See 2nd pic. I've seen a few two-tone examples that are a very similar "green" to mine, so perhaps the brochure was just a marketing man's fancy?

However Webmonster's (I think it be he) Isis from a facebook post (3rd Pic) seems to me to be much closer to the picture in the brochure.

I'm minded to keep the old english cream bottom half (that's my name, not the official one) but seek out a more turquoise one for the top half of the car.

The questions I have are as follows:
  1. Does anyone have the offical names of the original factory colours?
  2. Does anyone have the offical colour code or even an electronic sample sample of the original factory colours (I appreciate it won't be exact due to differences in PC-screen rendition)?
  3. If neither, Webmonster, what's the official name / colour code of top colour of your Isis?
While on the one hand I'd like to try to keep close to the original factory colours, I don't feel right driving a car with the current dull top half, most of me wants to have a colour that looks a lot better than "almost black" and also as close to the brochure as possible.

All advice comments and even insults (at least it shows someone's reading my post) will be most welcome......

Cheers!

Martin

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Traveller_Brochure_Cover_Colour_002_CROP_3.jpg ( 292.06K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  20170829_152418_1067x800.jpg ( 305.77K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  Webmonster_s_Isis.jpg ( 424.51K ) Number of downloads: 0

Go to the top of the page
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 25 Oct 2017, 18:07
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 9,739

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 25 Oct 2017, 17:26 ) *
Hi all
I have an impending re-spray (before Christmas is the plan). My Series IV Traveller was re-sprayed by (for) the previous-but-one owner but with all the current welding; fettling and new chrome it will need / want a full re-spray so I have the opportunity to re-consider the colour scheme.

The previous re-spray was "so-say" to match the colour of the original brochure but it doesn't - I have a mint copy (1st pic is taken from a 1200dpi high-res scan) and its not even close.

While the current cream is a good match, the green is so close to black that it's almost indistinguishable (from black). See 2nd pic. I've seen a few two-tone examples that are a very similar "green" to mine, so perhaps the brochure was just a marketing man's fancy?

However Webmonster's (I think it be he) Isis from a facebook post (3rd Pic) seems to me to be much closer to the picture in the brochure.

I'm minded to keep the old english cream bottom half (that's my name, not the official one) but seek out a more turquoise one for the top half of the car.

The questions I have are as follows:
  1. Does anyone have the offical names of the original factory colours?
  2. Does anyone have the offical colour code or even an electronic sample sample of the original factory colours (I appreciate it won't be exact due to differences in PC-screen rendition)?
  3. If neither, Webmonster, what's the official name / colour code of top colour of your Isis?
While on the one hand I'd like to try to keep close to the original factory colours, I don't feel right driving a car with the current dull top half, most of me wants to have a colour that looks a lot better than "almost black" and also as close to the brochure as possible.

All advice comments and even insults (at least it shows someone's reading my post) will be most welcome......

Cheers!

Martin

Top colour on Robert's car should be Turquoise, and it is a Morris colour (although I know Robert painted it 'as near as') - I have the formula somewhere for the Berger equivalent I think - and the bottom is Swiss Grey (or again, 'as near as') whilst yours is most likely Cream (another excitingly named Morris colour). I also have a sales colour chart, so bear with whilst I dig it out!

Howard.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Wolseley-nl
post 25 Oct 2017, 18:22
Post #3

Intermediate Poster
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 10,503
Proud citizen of: nl

Hi Martin,

Here's a site...

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?make=Austin

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 26 Oct 2017, 07:57
Post #4

Super Poster

QUOTE (Wolseley-nl @ 25 Oct 2017, 19:22 ) *

That's Brilliant mate, very many thanks. By searching "Morris" I found Surf Blue which bears a close resemblance to the brochure colour. I can see it was only used in 1962 on a mini, but nevertheless it seems very close. However, that's a first stab, the database demands quite a bit more searching to see if there's any other colurs that would work.

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 26 Oct 2017, 07:58
Post #5

Super Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 25 Oct 2017, 19:07 ) *
Top colour on Robert's car should be Turquoise, and it is a Morris colour (although I know Robert painted it 'as near as') - I have the formula somewhere for the Berger equivalent I think - and the bottom is Swiss Grey (or again, 'as near as') whilst yours is most likely Cream (another excitingly named Morris colour). I also have a sales colour chart, so bear with whilst I dig it out!

Howard.

Magic, many thanks Howard
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 26 Oct 2017, 09:31
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

The top colour of my Isis is a Leyland P76 colour. Anything more exact I can't help you with - the man/company who painted it were in Christchurch and went out of business, then all the earthquakes etc. and I've lost contact with him. Pity because I think his work was really good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 26 Oct 2017, 16:17
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 26 Oct 2017, 08:58 ) *
Magic, many thanks Howard

I haven't laid my hands on the colour chips yet, but here's the original Colour Finish pamphlet.

Attached File  DSC_0491.JPG ( 57K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  DSC_0492.JPG ( 66.15K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  DSC_0493.JPG ( 62.3K ) Number of downloads: 0

So, in theory the brochure colour must have been an artist's impression of Turquoise over Swiss Grey I think, as Cream was never used in the duotone finish.

Howard.

This post has been edited by Howard Dent: 26 Oct 2017, 16:18
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 26 Oct 2017, 18:54
Post #8

Super Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 26 Oct 2017, 17:17 ) *
I haven't laid my hands on the colour chips yet, but here's the original Colour Finish pamphlet.

So, in theory the brochure colour must have been an artist's impression of Turquoise over Swiss Grey I think, as Cream was never used in the duotone finish.

Howard.

Eee Fankey zur.... (as they say here in deepest Somerset - well I think that's what they were saying)

I've come to the conclusion that the artists impression bore no relation to the actual colours available..... (Incidentally I can't quite make out the text on your pics to read what each colour is).

I've been plodding through the BMC British Motor Corporation Archives - Page 1 of 4 - Oval Colour Centre to see what's currently available, rather than decide on a colour and find its not... although its not 100% as they don't mention the Oxford at all, only Austins....

After much painful browsing (their site is sloooow) I've made up my own colour swatches and gotten a strong preference for Fiesta Yellow as the bottom colour and likewise another preference for one of 5 others (pic below) as the top.

Of course the colours are probably a little different from those rendered on my screen (in fact they're slightly different on each of my 3 screens!); different when the Powerpoint originals are saved as JPGs and different again when printed.

I've also searched for images of the different colours and now have a shortlist of the colours Oval can supply - the next step is to see if I can get some samples. I'd still be interested in your colour chips, Howard. And if anyone else has any advice about paint, please do let me know, I have enough knowledge at this point to be extremely dangerous.

Cheers!
Martin
Attached File(s)
Attached File  .Oval_Colours.jpg ( 47.36K ) Number of downloads: 0

PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 27 Oct 2017, 11:45
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Finally managed to find the colour chips;

Attached File  DSC_0494.JPG ( 129.89K ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  DSC_0495.JPG ( 115.44K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  DSC_0496.JPG ( 119.68K ) Number of downloads: 0

Therefore an original scheme would look thus...

Attached File  DSC_0497.JPG ( 116.14K ) Number of downloads: 3

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 27 Oct 2017, 23:43
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

Wow! What amazing things to have collected Howard!

re: the colours on all my cars - they have been chosen by guessing and getting as close as possible because none of the original data was available.

For my Isis I chose the colour scheme because:
- It was originally the blue colour all over
- I saw photos in Classic car mags of 'the Isis' (BJO 150?) with blue on top and ivory on the bottom half. Howard - I think you resprayed the bottom half grey?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 28 Oct 2017, 01:18
Post #11

Super Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 27 Oct 2017, 12:45 ) *

All I can say is wow! Well, that's not all, but you know what I mean.

So Howard, the key question is..... do you know if that paint can still be made today - or is it a matter of saying "can you match that??"

If the bottom colour in your last pic is Fiesta Yellow, then I think that's a bit on the dark side and I'll have to re-think -

... quickly as I'm taking my car down to my mate's workshop to have the rust removed and the car resprayed... at the end of next week.

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 2 Nov 2017, 09:11
Post #12

Super Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 27 Oct 2017, 12:45 ) *

Attached File  DSC_0494.JPG ( 129.89K ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  DSC_0495.JPG ( 115.44K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  DSC_0496.JPG ( 119.68K ) Number of downloads: 0

Therefore an original scheme would look thus...

Attached File  DSC_0497.JPG ( 116.14K ) Number of downloads: 3

I was browsing Morris Oxford on Google Images (as you do) and found this colour combo, which is pretty close to what I want. Anything like that in your swatches, Howard? The closest I can get is Sutherland Green and Snowberry White.

Cheers!
Martin
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Colours_Series_VI.jpg ( 333.15K ) Number of downloads: 0

PM  
+Quote Post
geeksteve
post 2 Nov 2017, 09:46
Post #13

Advanced Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 18,863

Does anyone know what paint mine might be?...

(IMG:http://www.geekinter.net/morris.jpg)
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 2 Nov 2017, 10:02
Post #14

Super Poster

QUOTE (geeksteve @ 2 Nov 2017, 10:46 ) *
Does anyone know what paint mine might be?...

Howard Dent is the man to ask, Steve. He has samples of all the original colours on a couple of (big) key rings.

I can't help noticing the tail-down attitude of your Traveller (which looks fantastic, by the way) - if you're following any of my other threads, the new rear springs really did lift the back end of mine up a treat, but its now about an inch (or 2) too high at the back and I'm looking to raise the front to compensate!

Cheers!
Martin

This post has been edited by Martin Hamilton: 2 Nov 2017, 10:03
PM  
+Quote Post
geeksteve
post 2 Nov 2017, 10:16
Post #15

Advanced Poster
Group Icon

Member No.: 18,863

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 2 Nov 2017, 11:02 ) *
I can't help noticing the tail-down attitude of your Traveller (which looks fantastic, by the way) - if you're following any of my other threads, the new rear springs really did lift the back end of mine up a treat, but its now about an inch (or 2) too high at the back and I'm looking to raise the front to compensate!

I'm trying to build up the courage to spend a fortune on new springs. Long term I'm not sure if I am keeping it or not, so unsure if I should spend the money. I would *like* to make everything perfect on it, but it's one of those cars that I would describe as being a little ungrateful.... I washed and polished it once and then the clutch friction plate exploded (rivets all popped off!). Fixed the interior light recently and then the head gasket went. I know all these things seem unrelated but whenever I fix the bloody thing it fights back!

Steve
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 2 Nov 2017, 10:19
Post #16

Super Poster

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 2 Nov 2017, 10:11 ) *
I was browsing Morris Oxford on Google Images (as you do) and found this colour combo, which is pretty close to what I want. Anything like that in your swatches, Howard? The closest I can get is Sutherland Green and Snowberry White.

Cheers!
Martin

I asked Steve Turner of the Cambridge-Oxford club and not only does he know the colours, he knows the car!

The combo is Almond Green and Old English White.

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 2 Nov 2017, 11:30
Post #17

Super Poster

QUOTE (geeksteve @ 2 Nov 2017, 11:16 ) *
I'm trying to build up the courage to spend a fortune on new springs. Long term I'm not sure if I am keeping it or not, so unsure if I should spend the money. I would *like* to make everything perfect on it, but it's one of those cars that I would describe as being a little ungrateful.... I washed and polished it once and then the clutch friction plate exploded (rivets all popped off!). Fixed the interior light recently and then the head gasket went. I know all these things seem unrelated but whenever I fix the bloody thing it fights back!

Steve

If I'd known I was going to get arthritis in both hands I would have waited for one like yours to come along. But if yours had been for sale when I was looking, I doubt laggy springs would have been an issue!

Could your traveller have been the insipation for The Car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) ?
Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 2 Nov 2017, 12:04
Post #18

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 19,302

Why do you think my A90 is called Christine?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 2 Nov 2017, 12:26
Post #19

Super Poster

QUOTE (Fred Oldham @ 2 Nov 2017, 13:04 ) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 2 Nov 2017, 15:32
Post #20

Super Poster

QUOTE (Fred Oldham @ 2 Nov 2017, 13:04 ) *

My Traveller hasn't got a name... yet, but by the time its finished it'll probably deserve to be called "Monty" (as in "the Full Monty")

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 02:10