> Oxford Ser IV front indicators
Martin Hamilton
post 7 Oct 2017, 16:52
Post #1

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 25,499
Proud citizen of: en

Thanks to everyone who replied to my topic on rear brake / tail lights I have now secured two correct new-old-stock Lucas L551 units complete (from ebay for £lots) and also two L539 amber lenses (from ebay £15) so the back of the car is sorted.

I do have a pair of amber landrover L594 indicator units for the front (well, 4 actually as I'm no longer using the rear ones, but that's another story!), but given they are pretty ugly I had thought I could fit something different, but have no idea what might be appropriate. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions ? Here's what I've seen so far, I'd fit outboard of the bumper over-riders.

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers!
Martin
Attached File(s)
Attached File  CHROME_CUSTOM_INDICATOR___FLUSH_FIT_1_.png ( 643.48K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  CHROME_CUSTOM_INDICATOR___FLUSH_FIT_2_.png ( 809.74K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  CHROME_CUSTOM_INDICATOR___FLUSH_FIT_3_.png ( 693.44K ) Number of downloads: 0

Go to the top of the page
PM  
+Quote Post
ozieagle
post 7 Oct 2017, 18:10
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 6,924
Proud citizen of: au

Hi Martin,

Down under Harley Davidson indicator light fittings are popular. They look authentic, like this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-Bullet-LED-T...6YAAOSwuLZYymR3

Herb

That is only the first example I found, many more available, search eBay for Harley Davidson lights.

This post has been edited by ozieagle: 7 Oct 2017, 18:41
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 7 Oct 2017, 18:56
Post #3

Super Poster

QUOTE (ozieagle @ 7 Oct 2017, 19:10 ) *
Hi Martin,

Down under Harley Davidson indicator light fittings are popular. They look authentic, like this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-Bullet-LED-T...6YAAOSwuLZYymR3

Herb

That is only the first example I found, many more available, search eBay for Harley Davidson lights.

Thanks Herb, they do look good. Yes there are loads on ebay (UK) and I think these would be a good choice.

Sorry for rant, its not directed at you....... - one of my bugbears about ebay is: so many listings say "UK seller" but when you scroll all the way down to the bottom, the business is in China. I know the odds are very much that they are all made in China (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) , but I prefer to deal at least with "some Brit in a shed" who lives here and whose takings will find their way into the local economy.

So I'll keep looking until I find someone here who can sell me some!

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
ozieagle
post 7 Oct 2017, 19:16
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 6,924

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 8 Oct 2017, 04:56 ) *
Thanks Herb, they do look good. Yes there are loads on ebay (UK) and I think these would be a good choice.

Sorry for rant, its not directed at you....... - one of my bugbears about ebay is: so many listings say "UK seller" but when you scroll all the way down to the bottom, the business is in China. I know the odds are very much that they are all made in China (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) , but I prefer to deal at least with "some Brit in a shed" who lives here and whose takings will find their way into the local economy.

So I'll keep looking until I find someone here who can sell me some!

Cheers!
Martin

I know about the China thing. I always try and buy local stuff.

Try a google search for Harley Davidson lights. I found heaps, outside of eBay, but don't know where they are or where the items are made.

Herb
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 8 Oct 2017, 00:27
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

If you can remove the existing park lights and give them to a local autosparky then they can fit dual-filament bases very easily.
I've done this on all my old cars (Oxford/Cowley/Isis).

This one is an original dual-filiment fitting from Morris Motors themselves:
Attached File  20160107_131511.jpg ( 879.44K ) Number of downloads: 0

...and here is one modified by my local auto sparky:
(place holder until I find or take a photo)
They drilled a bigger hole in the base and crimped over the lugs on the bulb holder.

And here is a natty LED bulb for white parklight and amber flasher!
(White LEDs auto senses when indicator is on and switches off until flashing ceases). Must be -ve earth.
Attached File  20170213_194758.jpg ( 637.98K ) Number of downloads: 0

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 8 Oct 2017, 00:28
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

Another thought - I've been offered Mk I Ambassador parklights and they have flashing indicators. I could see if I can get hold of a pair if you like.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 8 Oct 2017, 04:22
Post #7

Super Poster

QUOTE (webmonster @ 8 Oct 2017, 01:28 ) *
Another thought - I've been offered Mk I Ambassador parklights and they have flashing indicators. I could see if I can get hold of a pair if you like.

Ta Mate, are they the L545 for the Amby like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-LUCAS-54...353.m1438.l2649

Royalspares in India are offering them at £25 incl postage, by the time I pay tax it'll be £30 (similar to a decent pair of motorcycle bullet lights) but I must say I didn't realise they were dual pole - that would be a very neat solution avoiding drilling my front bumper or apron.

EDIT: add - Regarding "Auto-sparky" no such thing in my part of the world. That is, the old-school electrician/fabricator. What we have are mobile electricians who install satnavs, alarms, rear view cameras (for motorhomes). I suppose in the bigger towns and cities there might be electicians who could do the necessary, but I'm not aware of any in the locality!

Cheers
Martin

This post has been edited by Martin Hamilton: 8 Oct 2017, 07:46
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 15 Oct 2017, 08:42
Post #8

Super Poster

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 8 Oct 2017, 05:22 ) *
Ta Mate, are they the L545 for the Amby like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-LUCAS-54...353.m1438.l2649

Royalspares in India are offering them at £25 incl postage, by the time I pay tax it'll be £30 (similar to a decent pair of motorcycle bullet lights) but I must say I didn't realise they were dual pole - that would be a very neat solution avoiding drilling my front bumper or apron.

EDIT: add - Regarding "Auto-sparky" no such thing in my part of the world. That is, the old-school electrician/fabricator. What we have are mobile electricians who install satnavs, alarms, rear view cameras (for motorhomes). I suppose in the bigger towns and cities there might be electicians who could do the necessary, but I'm not aware of any in the locality!

Cheers
Martin

These may look the same as the front sidlights on the series III/IV, but having measured mine, the Amby parking lights are 1 centimetre bigger in both dorctions - long & wide.
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 15 Oct 2017, 09:08
Post #9

Super Poster

QUOTE (webmonster @ 8 Oct 2017, 01:27 ) *
If you can remove the existing park lights and give them to a local autosparky then they can fit dual-filament bases very easily.
I've done this on all my old cars (Oxford/Cowley/Isis).

This one is an original dual-filiment fitting from Morris Motors themselves:
Attached File  20160107_131511.jpg ( 879.44K ) Number of downloads: 0

...and here is one modified by my local auto sparky:
(place holder until I find or take a photo)
They drilled a bigger hole in the base and crimped over the lugs on the bulb holder.

And here is a natty LED bulb for white parklight and amber flasher!
(White LEDs auto senses when indicator is on and switches off until flashing ceases). Must be -ve earth.
Attached File  20170213_194758.jpg ( 637.98K ) Number of downloads: 0

Hi Mate
I've bought the appropriate (bigger) front (Double Pole) and rear (Single Pole) bulb holders from Holdens. I'm hoping to find a mate who has a lathe or big drill to ream out 22mm holes - to fit and swage in the new holders as you suggested. The reason for the double pole front is so that I can fit a combined side lamp / flasher LED dual warm white/orange bulbs in neg earth from Gil at BetterCarLighting which look like the ones in your picture. The rear is for the flasher which will replace the original red tail lamp (and which held the smaller bulb, of course).

For anyone considering the use of LEDs its worth noting that they all seem to have the same sized base as a "standard" stop/tail bulb which is somewhat bigger then the standard sidelamp bulb (edit: yes there are BA9S LEDs but they're really too low powered to be of any use outside the car).

Gil at Better Car Lighting is brilliant at customer support, but the website is a bit of a bugger to use, especially with the search facility being almost next to useless. However, that said he's an electronics whizz who has designed some of the products he sells and I've found that if you email him with a query you get a detailed reply and a link to the appropriate product along with data sheets and explanations.

I've bought all of the LEDs, a flasher kit, a hazard light kit and flashing semaphore LEDs from him (so, almost £300 to date).
Unfortunately his postage charges are rather high - I bought £150 worth of LEDs and a pair of headlamp bowls and the UK postage was nearly £18. PLUS none of his prices include UK VAT (Value Added Tax) so add 20% to the quoted prices!

Hope this helps anyone thinking of converting to LED!

Cheers
Martin

This post has been edited by Martin Hamilton: 16 Oct 2017, 08:35
PM  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 15 Oct 2017, 12:01
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742

For anyone considering the use of LEDs its worth noting that they all seem to have the same sized base as a "standard" stop/tail bulb which is somewhat bigger then the standard sidelamp bulb

The LEDs should be available in either/both BA9 or BA15 base size. (for single pole bulbs at least)

Edited to correct the crock of pooh I wrote a couple of hours ago!

Danny

This post has been edited by Danny: 15 Oct 2017, 15:52
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 15 Oct 2017, 18:43
Post #11

Super Poster

QUOTE (Danny @ 15 Oct 2017, 13:01 ) *
The LEDs should be available in either/both BA9 or BA15 base size. (for single pole bulbs at least)

Edited to correct the crock of pooh I wrote a couple of hours ago!

Danny

Danny, Wotcha!

Ditto, except I didn't post it.

Yes, you are correct, LEDs ARE available in BA9 size. My fetish with BA15 was because the flasher kit supplied by Gil was BA15 and it didn't occur to me to question it. However, you've prompted me to go back and buy a pair of BA9 indicator LEDs so that I can just fit them and not worry about replacing the bulb-holder in the rears. The fronts are dual side-lamp / flash and are BA15 regardless.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Cheers
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 16 Oct 2017, 08:32
Post #12

Super Poster

QUOTE (Martin Hamilton @ 15 Oct 2017, 19:43 ) *
Danny, Wotcha!

Ditto, except I didn't post it.

Yes, you are correct, LEDs ARE available in BA9 size. My fetish with BA15 was because the flasher kit supplied by Gil was BA15 and it didn't occur to me to question it. However, you've prompted me to go back and buy a pair of BA9 indicator LEDs so that I can just fit them and not worry about replacing the bulb-holder in the rears. The fronts are dual side-lamp / flash and are BA15 regardless.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Cheers
Martin

After a bit of talking around it seems the BA9S (bayonet) LEDs are too low-powered to be an effective indicator, typically they're used for dashboard illumination (BA9ES, screw) or sidelamp (BA9S Bayonet). So the convenience of simply fitting one into what was a tail-light enclosure is outweighed by a lack of visibility (plus, Indicator bulbs are "conventionally" BA15S). I'll just have to ream out the tail light bulb mounting and fit a single pole BA15 holder.

Using the BA9S had the attraction of not having to remove the existing holder - as my pillar drills are too small for a 22mm bit (not enough height), but especially as I have no way of securing the lamp enclosure to be sure the hole is and remains centred. Fortunately, yesterday evening a mate offered the use of his workshop equpped with a drill capable of taking a 7/8ths (22mm) bit - plus a big vice incorporated within......

Incidentaly, if I sound like I know what I'm talking about, that's not entirely the case, this knowledge is a very recent thing - since yesterday I've been talking with a couple of auto-electricians and an electrical engineer!

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 17 Oct 2017, 18:50
Post #13

Super Poster

Alas all has not gone well in the conversion of my front sidelights. One of them was pretty badly corroded and despite a goodly degree of care and gentle drilling, the centre of the backing plate disintegrated, so I will have to hope Howard Dent's treasure trove sidelights are as good as he suggests so I can either use as is (they are dual-pole) or start drilling again!

My minor concern is that one can find Hindustan Ambassador rear lights that are dual pole and look identical to the Oxford's front lights, but are 5mm to 10 mm too large.... we shal see!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  20171017_194151_896x768.jpg ( 159.39K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  20171017_194202_919x768.jpg ( 204.95K ) Number of downloads: 0

PM  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 10:08