> Oxford Series IV (Traveller) front wings
Martin Hamilton
post 31 Aug 2017, 19:49
Post #1

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 25,499
Proud citizen of: en

I'm looking for wings. ("yeah right!" you all say, let us know when you find them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ) I guess I won't be the first or the last to ask this question!

I've just had a poke around my front wings with Brian* (see bottom of post) - a local-to-me "restoration professional". There's a fair (but not excessive) amount of rust that needs to be cut out with new bits fabricated & welded in, plus the fabrication and welding of one of the rear flanges (that bolts the wing to the pillar).

I was planning to have a go at this myself, but my arthritis has now taken me beyond the point at which I can do the work as I can no longer hold and use vibrating tools, so cutting and grinding is out completely.

So, it will cost me the best part of £500 each wing to bring them up to a good rust-free condition. Therefore, does anyone know if its possible to get new-old-stock (or even just new stock) Hindustan Ambassador mark 1 front wings from India and also naturally have any contact details? For less than £1,000 the pair shipped and duties paid, otherwise I might as well let Brian loose on mine.

I ask this on the basic assumption of the chances of there being any Oxford III or IV wings in very good condition available anywhere outside India is as likely as the next Pope being female.

I have until January at which point the Traveller is into Brian's workshop to have bottom door skins replaced, the new sills properly finished and the wings attended to, so do let me know, I have the time!

======================

*I menton the following purely because I assume you're all car nuts like me and I hope you find this interesting!

Brian's workshop had 3 customer cars being worked on, a 30's MG; A 40's Daimler and.. a 1920's car I've never even heard of, letalone seen. The badge on the front said It was OM - an Officine Meccaniche and it was an example of just how good a restoration can be, as it looked like it came out of the factory yesterday ..... and I believe its one of their 1920's Le Mans cars........ Sorry, Brian wouldn't let me take a picture, if its still there next time I'm passing, I might sneak in and grab one!

Here's some links: I know it's off-topic but hope you will forgive me!
OM Wiki
grandprixhistory.org/mille_om

Cheers!
Martin
Go to the top of the page
PM  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 07:37