> Windscreen Wipers only sweep half the screen
Martin Hamilton
post 30 Aug 2017, 08:39
Post #1

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 25,499
Proud citizen of: en

So, my wipers park at the base of the screen, but only sweep half-way / two thirds of the way up to the pillar - which unfortunately means that in the rain a goodly chunk of my vision will be obscured. I'm lost for ideas on this one, unless the motor has been replaced with one from a car with a considerably smaller windscreen (mini?).

No double the ideal solution is to replace the motor and I'm sure someone on here will be able to give me the correct (Lucas?) part number (please).

And speaking of wipers, does anyone know if the arms (especially the nearside arm) are the same as those on any Wolseleys or Austins (or anything else) because those are the only arms I can see quoted by e.g. Earlpart?

Cheers
Martin
Go to the top of the page
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 30 Aug 2017, 10:57
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

Hi Martin.

Pic of motor would be good. The sweep on the wipers is controlled by the large gearwheel in the housing on the end of the motor. This can be anywhere from 110° to 160°, so you need to work out roughly what you need in order to cover the screen.

Regret no idea about the arms themselves.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Darvie43
post 30 Aug 2017, 23:19
Post #3

Super Poster

Member No.: 19,807
Proud citizen of: au

The wheelboxes (what the arms attach too) also come with different diameter wheels which changes the wipe area.
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 31 Aug 2017, 05:39
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

On my Isis there is a bit of wear in each wheel box, and a bit of wear here and there... and it all adds up to a smaller swept area.
I've got a pair of new wheelboxes from India, but I have no idea yet if they will fit.

Will let you know.

Part # for wiper motor:
100degree wipe is AJH5080 (new part # is 17H5360)
90degree wipe is 27H5526
Motors appear to be the same, but 90degree shaft & gear = 27H5527 and 100degree shaft & gear = 17H5479

Wheelbox assembly is ADH5830
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
MYKE
post 31 Aug 2017, 16:58
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 9,175

The wipers go further across the windscreen when it gets wet and not so far without water to lubricate.

I would set the blades to the mid way point and wet the screen to see what the actual angle of sweep is, then set them to park without touching the bottom of the screen. Road vibration will shake them down to the park position.
PM  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 31 Aug 2017, 20:15
Post #6

Super Poster

QUOTE (MYKE @ 31 Aug 2017, 17:58 ) *
The wipers go further across the windscreen when it gets wet and not so far without water to lubricate.

I would set the blades to the mid way point and wet the screen to see what the actual angle of sweep is, then set them to park without touching the bottom of the screen. Road vibration will shake them down to the park position.

Cheers for that Myke, good point!

And thanks to all those who've replied, good advice as always (unless we're talking about beer, in which case I am right, Korev is the best!).
PM  
+Quote Post
MYKE
post 31 Aug 2017, 20:29
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 9,175

Uncle Bodger's magic falling down in the middle of the road water gets my vote every time.
PM  
+Quote Post
ozieagle
post 31 Aug 2017, 21:16
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 6,924
Proud citizen of: au

A possible fudge, that I've been told about but not tried, is to remove the arms, mark the shafts, mark and pull the actuating cable out. Now turn the shafts 180 deg, which is why you needed to mark them, also turn the cable 180 deg and reinsert. The idea is that this puts unused parts of the wheel box and cable into contact, supposedly removes most if not all slop.

Herb
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Martin Hamilton
post 31 Aug 2017, 21:58
Post #9

Super Poster

Thanks Herb, that looks a both useful and "do-able" fudge.

========

After a couple of pints this evening (Korev, if you must know), I was thinking for some reason that I've always associated fudge with Cornwall - and Cornwall is where Korev comes from...... and in my mind therefore, that completes a link with Myke's Uncle Bodger's magic falling down in the middle of the road water (except in this case Korev is a magic falling up the stairs on the way to bed water) which is a good end to the evening*

* so much better than falling down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

The answer is 5 bob a week (you have to be well over 60 to understand this IMHO)

Cheers!
Martin
PM  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 01:50