ACWCC Webmaster
post 15 Apr 2017, 07:23
Post #1

Advanced Poster
Group Icon

Group: ACWCC Member
Member No.: 7,738
Proud citizen of: en

Here are some pictures of our club stand and the Practical Classics A105 Countryman restoration project at the Practical Classics Classic Car & Restoration Show held at the NEC over the weekend of 31st March - 2nd April. I would like to say a big thank you to Fred & Joyce Oldham for letting us have their beautiful A90 Westminster to put on the stand and it was nice to see many members of our club that we very rarely see. Our stand was in an ideal position as we were not too far from the live stage and even closer to where the guys from CBR (Car & Bike Refinishers) were putting the unique automatic A105 Countryman back together.

On Sunday the A105 Countryman which was one of only 10 built and the only one with an automatic gearox moved under its own power for the first time in many years. It was raised up off the ground as it was not clear what gear it was in. This restoration which is now in its 5th year is still in need of a few parts to finish the job. These include things like: some chrome, a good dashboard, rear lights and the linlage to the gearbox.

Attached File  IMG_0594.JPG ( 4.54MB ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  IMG_0612.JPG ( 4.93MB ) Number of downloads: 1

Fred laying carpet on the underside of his bonnet whilst being supervised by senior management.

Attached File  IMG_0602.JPG ( 4.54MB ) Number of downloads: 3

Fred's refurbished engine.

Attached File  IMG_0603.JPG ( 2.2MB ) Number of downloads: 1

The guys from CBR working on the A105 Countryman.

Attached File  IMG_0624.JPG ( 4.28MB ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  IMG_0625.JPG ( 4.48MB ) Number of downloads: 1

The A105 Countryman runs under its own power and with the guys from CBR and the editor of Practical Classics, Danny Hopkins.

Attached File  IMG_0597.JPG ( 4.51MB ) Number of downloads: 1

Austin J40 pedal car restoration and senior management can't bear to look!

This post has been edited by ACWCC Webmaster: 15 Apr 2017, 08:40
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
austinlancer1962
post 15 Apr 2017, 07:30
Post #2

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 3,772
Proud citizen of: au

any pictures of this A105 countryman?
Mick
PM  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 15 Apr 2017, 08:43
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 19,302

They are pictures of it Mick. I took a couple myself which I'll post.Attached File  IMG_1075.JPG ( 1.1MB ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_1074.JPG ( 1.44MB ) Number of downloads: 1

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
austinlancer1962
post 15 Apr 2017, 23:02
Post #4

Super Poster

Member No.: 3,772

Thanks guys
It seems strange, but the mid fifties Austin's and Morris's are and have always been rare here in Oz. It seemed that they seemed to sell trillions of A40's, (Devons and Somerset's), A70's,and even some A90 atlantics, then a blank period, then the pininfarina's.
I've probably seen about 5 of the mid fifties models and only 3 of those were in the flesh.
Mick

This post has been edited by austinlancer1962: 15 Apr 2017, 23:03
PM  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 16 Apr 2017, 01:57
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742

Here's a picture of an Australian built Morris Marshal Traveller...an A95 clone with different trim basically.

Attached File  1958_morris_marshall_traveller.jpg ( 97.73K ) Number of downloads: 3

FOR SALE HERE

There were also saloons and a one off Marshal '105'. Strangely the A95 (incl. Countryman) and 105 were built CKD at the same time! Only produced during 1959 according to the BMC-Leyland Australia Heritage Group so production numbers were consequently pretty low.

Danny

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Darvie43
post 16 Apr 2017, 07:43
Post #6

Super Poster

Member No.: 19,807

The Morris Marshall bonnet was different where the chrome piece is, they had a lot of trouble pressing it without the metal tearing so they used to heat the area with an oxy torch first,
PM  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 16 Apr 2017, 08:13
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Interesting that Oz didn't get many estate versions. I would have expected them to be the most popular.
As for changing bonnet pressings and similar pratting about, why would they bother?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
ACWCC Webmaster
post 17 Apr 2017, 07:26
Post #8

Advanced Poster
Group Icon

Group: ACWCC Member
Member No.: 7,738

QUOTE (Fred Oldham @ 16 Apr 2017, 09:13 ) *
Interesting that Oz didn't get many estate versions. I would have expected them to be the most popular.
As for changing bonnet pressings and similar pratting about, why would they bother?

Someone in OZ probably knows different but I have a book 'Building Cars in Australia' and according to that they only made these cars during 1959.

In the UK they made a short boot A105Six during 1956 and there were only about a thousand of them built.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 25 Apr 2017, 16:52
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

My other classic is a 1956 A105 Six. It was built up from a total wreck 105, a vastly better A90 body and some bits from a scrap Vandan Plas. The resultant 'hybrid' is as close to being a 105 as you could get, but thanks to the body shell, had to stay registered as an A90.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 17 Jun 2017, 16:27
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

While we at the NEC show, I got talking to the guys restoring the A105 Countryman. They asked if I had a spare dashboard because their car didn't have one at all. As luck would have it I did. I said they could have it for free if they collected it.
Well, after recovering from chicken pox, the guy rang me this week and arranged to collect it today. When he arrived we went into garage where my 105 resides and took out the spare dash. It daylight we gave it a quick look at and all seemed ok. Then I noticed something I hadn't spotted before. Between the speedo and the other instruments was a small curved section .
This was the gear selector telltale for a car with an automatic gearbox. You may recollect that the car they are restoring is the only auto Countryman made. Needless to say the chap was ecstatic ! He took a couple of pictures of me holding this dash in front of my car and went away well chuffed. Perhaps I'll get a mention in the Practical Classics hall of fame.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
badhuis
post 17 Jun 2017, 22:49
Post #11

Super Poster

Member No.: 700
Proud citizen of: nl

You are a great guy Fred. They must have been into heaven to find something like this.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 02:01