fjp
post 8 Dec 2016, 18:53
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 18
Proud citizen of: en

I have the list of registration marks on how to find where a car was registered,out of the full list,SV & SY says Non Suffix Mark,what does this mean??? i know some cars have age related plates from non used reg,s anyone know what they mean???Ted
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 8 Dec 2016, 20:23
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

Hi Ted,

I think what they're getting at is that certain area codes didn't get re-used when the "new" registrations started in 1963 (?). So, ABC123 was a pre-suffix registration and ABC123A is a post-suffix registration. Presumably the SV and SY mark simply fell into disuse after the change.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Nishka
post 8 Dec 2016, 20:38
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
From: Wolseleyland near the Guild City of Preston, Lancashire
Member No.: 2
Proud citizen of: gb

QUOTE (fjp @ 8 Dec 2016, 18:53 ) *
I have the list of registration marks on how to find where a car was registered,out of the full list,SV & SY says Non Suffix Mark,what does this mean??? i know some cars have age related plates from non used reg,s anyone know what they mean???Ted

To me Ted that would suggest that the list is saying that the SV (Kinross-shire) and SY (Midlothian) registration numbers were only of the format:

xSV 1 to xSV 999

and

xSY 1 to xSY 999

Which does not seem to be the case unless it is a two letter area code number without prefixed letters.

As you are probably aware the UK registration system originally comprised of a 1 or 2 letter area code initially followed by 1 to 4 figures and later preceded by 1 to 4 figures. Stating at A 1 (London) and ending at 9999 ZZ (Dublin and for temporarily imported vehicles).

When this series started to run out a preceding letter was added to the area code and the figures now dropped to a maximum of 3. Indecently, any area code containing an S was issued to Scottish Registration Offices and containing a Z to Registration Offices from Ireland. Wales was always part of the English registration system and not separately defined.

In the early 1960's it was realised that this system would soon be running short of allocateable marks in some areas so a Suffix letter added, giving a Registration Mark with a format of xXX 123 x. This suffix letter was to be changed annually on the first of January. The Suffix letter 'A' was first issued in 1963, but it was only issued where a Registration Office had run out of existing numbers. however, in 1964 it was decreed that all Registration Offices would start issuing number with the suffix letter 'B'.

Back to our area codes of SV and SY.

The first SV number was issued, by the Kinross-shire Registration Office in January 1904 with the last in December 1963 without reaching the end of the series. From January 1964, in line with all other Registration Offices the next number issued was ASV xxxB.

The first SY number was issued by Midlothian Registration Office in December 1903 until the last in June 1951, when it was replaced by ASY 1 - ASY 999.

In more recent years, with the need to allocate 'age related' registration marks to resurrected classics, the DVLA has resorted to issuing numbers from those areas who did not originally issue their full compliment. These tended to be the Registration Offices that covered the more remote less densely populated areas of the country, but also included reserved stock of number series from London.

Nishka

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 02:03