The Wolseley Forum

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Morris Isis Traveller, New Isis Owner - It's Going to Take Time to Fix!
Six-Ninety
post 24 May 2015, 23:53
Post #1

Intermediate Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 20,181
Proud citizen of: au

Hello!
I have just purchased a very sad Morris Isis Traveller. Motor and gearbox are out of the car. Comes with a spare gearbox and a spare set of wings and front wing valance tie plates and a spare radiator. Apparently it ran into a Holden utility, which was written off and also did considerable damage to itself in the process. Plenty of rust in the body and floor. The floor has a large hole in it at the driver's feet. Any help with finding various parts gratefully received. I have attached some photographs. Realistically, if it were not an Isis and so rare it would probably be beyond salvage… The car number identification plate has long since disappeared, but I have the body number, which is BIB 1537.

Henry

This post has been edited by Six-Ninety: 24 May 2015, 23:54
Attached File(s)
Attached File  001.jpg ( 175.41K ) Number of downloads: 1
Attached File  002.jpg ( 218.56K ) Number of downloads: 1
Attached File  003.jpg ( 168.49K ) Number of downloads: 1

Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 25 May 2015, 00:10
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

I am quite beside myself with envy. And that goes for both of me.

This post has been edited by Llansadwrn: 25 May 2015, 00:11
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 25 May 2015, 07:32
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 9,739
Proud citizen of: en

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 25 May 2015, 01:10 ) *
I am quite beside myself with envy. And that goes for both of me.

Congratulations - that brings the worldwide total of 'known' examples to about 12 or 13 depending on who you're talking to! Welcome to the club, if there is such a thing - I can tell you it is a late Series 1 car in what appears to be Clarendon Grey (late cars have contrasting piped upholstery and the Series II mesh grille amongst other things), and if you look fairly carefully along the top seam of the front bulkhead you should find a stamped chassis number an inch or two down from the edge; this will only be the numerical part so likely be 4 digit eg 5687 or similar, but at least you will know the i.d.

I would suggest that for the missing bits you might want to search out a spares car, as all the mechanical parts are identical to the saloon - it's only the rear bodywork that's different, and the corners of the rear floorpan. There are plenty of parts books and workshop manuals about, and if you can't wait I have several spare ones - plus those who know me know I have tons of spare parts squirelled away...

More pictures please (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

If you need any help/advice/solace just shout - I have worse examples!

Best of luck, Howard.

PS Also quite envious...

This post has been edited by Howard Dent: 25 May 2015, 07:37
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 25 May 2015, 07:50
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 25 May 2015, 08:32 ) *
Congratulations - that brings the worldwide total of 'known' examples to about 12 or 13 depending on who you're talking to! Welcome to the club, if there is such a thing - I can tell you it is a late Series 1 car in what appears to be Clarendon Grey (late cars have contrasting piped upholstery and the Series II mesh grille amongst other things), and if you look fairly carefully along the top seam of the front bulkhead you should find a stamped chassis number an inch or two down from the edge; this will only be the numerical part so likely be 4 digit eg 5687 or similar, but at least you will know the i.d.

I would suggest that for the missing bits you might want to search out a spares car, as all the mechanical parts are identical to the saloon - it's only the rear bodywork that's different, and the corners of the rear floorpan. There are plenty of parts books and workshop manuals about, and if you can't wait I have several spare ones - plus those who know me know I have tons of spare parts squirelled away...

More pictures please (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

If you need any help/advice/solace just shout - I have worse examples!

Best of luck, Howard.

PS Also quite envious...

Late Series 1 Traveller in Clarendon Grey with the Series 11 grille - this one even has the same sunshine floor - but not the cosmetic surgery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached File  301120122042.jpg ( 121.58K ) Number of downloads: 2

Attached File  301120122043.jpg ( 143.5K ) Number of downloads: 2

Attached File  301120122053.jpg ( 131.33K ) Number of downloads: 2

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Six-Ninety
post 25 May 2015, 12:33
Post #5

Intermediate Poster

Thank you! I really could not believe I had found the car. I have found a couple of Series I saloons here. I will take more pictures when the car reaches my shed. It should get here next weekend. A bit odd my path to buying an Isis. My grandfather had a Riley RMC in the early 1950s, which was replaced by a Riley Pathfinder in July 1955. I have the Pathfinder now and it is registered on its original plates and original date of registration. That car led me to buying a Riley Two-Point-Six, which in turn led me to the Wolseley Car Club in Victoria and to David Clark from whom I bought a Series III Six-Ninety. Those three cars all sport the right hand floor gear change arrangement. I learnt that the Morris Isis Series II also has this gear change. I looked at the Series II dash board and thought the car I would like does not exist; a Series I with right hand gear change - the early dash is something which really appeals to me. When the Traveller appeared for sale, it was something I just could not refuse!
Regards,

Henry
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 25 May 2015, 13:33
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Six-Ninety @ 25 May 2015, 13:33 ) *
Thank you! I really could not believe I had found the car. I have found a couple of Series I saloons here. I will take more pictures when the car reaches my shed. It should get here next weekend. A bit odd my path to buying an Isis. My grandfather had a Riley RMC in the early 1950s, which was replaced by a Riley Pathfinder in July 1955. I have the Pathfinder now and it is registered on its original plates and original date of registration. That car led me to buying a Riley Two-Point-Six, which in turn led me to the Wolseley Car Club in Victoria and to David Clark from whom I bought a Series III Six-Ninety. Those three cars all sport the right hand floor gear change arrangement. I learnt that the Morris Isis Series II also has this gear change. I looked at the Series II dash board and thought the car I would like does not exist; a Series I with right hand gear change - the early dash is something which really appeals to me. When the Traveller appeared for sale, it was something I just could not refuse!
Regards,

Henry

Henry - as you may have spotted, I have examples of most Isis types but I still prefer the Traveller for it's 'country' styling, although I currently don't have a roadworthy one myself. All the Series I cars shared the same dash pattern as the Oxford and Cowley of the same era, and although the bulkhead is different they have a similar column shift arrangement - if you hadn't noticed already, only the Series II Isis has the r/hand floor shift...

Still a very rare car though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Enjoy, Howard.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Six-Ninety
post 26 May 2015, 12:05
Post #7

Intermediate Poster

I think I can live with the column change, even though I have always been a Riley and Wolseley right hand change driver! I might have considered fitting a right hand change mechanism to a Series I Isis, but I'm not too sure I can force myself to do that to such a rare vehicle; I thought the Riley Two-Point-Six was rare, but the Isis is closer to hen's teeth in Australia. I need to sort out some serious wood work - should I use ash or go for an Australian timber? I am no wood worker, so not sure on this point… Obviously the very first item to repair is the clock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Now I just want to take a month off work and get into this project!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 27 May 2015, 06:57
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Six-Ninety @ 26 May 2015, 13:05 ) *
I think I can live with the column change, even though I have always been a Riley and Wolseley right hand change driver! I might have considered fitting a right hand change mechanism to a Series I Isis, but I'm not too sure I can force myself to do that to such a rare vehicle; I thought the Riley Two-Point-Six was rare, but the Isis is closer to hen's teeth in Australia. I need to sort out some serious wood work - should I use ash or go for an Australian timber? I am no wood worker, so not sure on this point… Obviously the very first item to repair is the clock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Now I just want to take a month off work and get into this project!

Only a month (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Anyway, ash was the original, but I'm not sure if it makes any real difference as long as it all matches - are you going to have to replace it all? There was an Oxford Traveller owner in Australia (on here) that was going to do the same thing, and I wonder if he made any progress? Have a search through previous items and see if you can find him, it may be of mutual benefit. I can help with some dimensions possibly, as I have a sound one in bits :-)

I wouldn't be too bothered about converting the column shift to floor shift - there's lots of differences including the floor and chassis, plus a different gearbox crossmember/steering column etc etc.

Howard.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 27 May 2015, 11:14
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 19,302

The gearbox and shifter will be the same as my '55 Austin A 90. I find it perfectly ok. I haven't tried to puzzle out how the rods and levers do their stuff. Having said that, most of them are on the work-bench at the moment. I just hope I can remember where they all came from!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Six-Ninety
post 27 May 2015, 12:03
Post #10

Intermediate Poster

Thank you! I think all the timber is in situ except for the lower piece on the off-side and part of the off-side rear door. It is in poor condition, so I may need to ask for some dimensions soon.

I can't really see myself changing to right hand floor change; just an entertaining dream really. Maybe I will find a Series II one of these days instead…

The car should arrive this weekend, all things being equal!

H
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Six-Ninety
post 31 May 2015, 12:28
Post #11

Intermediate Poster

The Isis is home! It poured rain all the way back and we reached the farm just before dark. Slow trip and fairly normal weather for the last day of Autumn I guess. I had a quick look for the car number, but was running out of light. Photographs and more investigating tomorrow!

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 31 May 2015, 13:11
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

Great stuff! Looking forward to more news.
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 1 Jun 2015, 06:42
Post #13

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 31 May 2015, 14:11 ) *
Great stuff! Looking forward to more news.

Me too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Six-Ninety
post 1 Jun 2015, 12:36
Post #14

Intermediate Poster

Well, today's update:
A number of farm jobs instead of playing with the Isis, but I did take some photographs when the sun finally came out this afternoon! If I did not think that this was a big job before, I now know it is mammoth. The interior is full of exhaust pipes and damaged trim. The body work is frightening at this stage and the previous owner or owners pillaged various parts, such as the horn relay and (I think) the gear linkages. The off side rear wheel is from a Morris Major. Solace, advice and possibly some sort of therapy will be needed. Lucky for the car it is an Isis, otherwise it would not be something to do so much as consider. It did come with various boxes of parts, including suspension pins and bushes, various dash parts, a spare heater core, two Morris Oxford radiators, front wings, radiator support/cross member and a pair of Morris Oxford Series 2 front wings, just for variety! The motor is mostly complete. It looks to be missing push rods. A total rebuild is in order. Both gearboxes look OK on the outside. IF I can find an overdrive gearbox it will improve the car a great deal. Frightening pictures attached!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  004.jpg ( 185.38K ) Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  005.jpg ( 161.25K ) Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  006.jpg ( 287.65K ) Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  007.jpg ( 229.2K ) Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  008.jpg ( 172.39K ) Number of downloads: 2

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 01:50