GodalmingYellow
post 21 Apr 2015, 19:20
Post #1

Senior Poster
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 9,633
Proud citizen of: en

Each time I drive Phoebe, I start her from cold, and she starts fine.

When I finish my journey, then come back to go home, I have real problems starting her up again with a hot engine.

Howard noticed sparking was weak and on investigation, the condenser was changed, and Phoebe started fine (but had cooled down somewhat in the meantime).

This has happened to me on 4 consecutive occasions now.

When it happened on Sunday, and I called a mate to bring me some tools, I noticed that the braided section of the pipe between the carb and vacuum advance on the distributor was wet, and i found it was petrol.

The ht leads were sparking fine on the block.

When my mate turned up, I had a final go at starting Phoebe, and she started fine straight away.

I checked for fuel in the vacuum pipe and there was none other than the wet braided bit.

I also noticed that the choke cable was very slack at the point it connects to the carb (with the choke knob pushed in).

It is my suspicion that the carb is flooding, either because I might inadvertently press the gas on start up, or possibly if I pull the choke out with a still hot engine (not realising it hadn't cooled enough).

I checked the plugs and there was no obvious sign of a rich mixture or oil burn with the plugs having a light to mid brown dry appearance. I also checked the air cleaner which was only slightly grubby, and was far from blocked.

What are others' thoughts on this?
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 21 Apr 2015, 20:05
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

My first thought would be air leaks within the carb body, or more likely at the throttle spindle. This would account for the hard starting when hot. I would consider rebuilding the carb, and checking to make sure that the throttle spindle is tight. One way to check for this problem is to daub grease around the spindle and on the main joints..... bit messy.

Second thought would be vapour lock, with petrol vapourising in the fuel line, which could potentially be pushing petrol into the vacuum line.... maybe.... and you could always try crumpling up some aluminium foil and wrapping the fuel line on its way to the carburettor, and making sure the line is not in direct contact with any part of the engine, and a good distance from the exhaust manifold.

You have checked to see that your needle is centred I presume? And the dashpot oiled?

This post has been edited by Llansadwrn: 21 Apr 2015, 20:11
PM  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 21 Apr 2015, 22:55
Post #3

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 21 Apr 2015, 21:05 ) *
My first thought would be air leaks within the carb body, or more likely at the throttle spindle. This would account for the hard starting when hot. I would consider rebuilding the carb, and checking to make sure that the throttle spindle is tight. One way to check for this problem is to daub grease around the spindle and on the main joints..... bit messy.

Second thought would be vapour lock, with petrol vapourising in the fuel line, which could potentially be pushing petrol into the vacuum line.... maybe.... and you could always try crumpling up some aluminium foil and wrapping the fuel line on its way to the carburettor, and making sure the line is not in direct contact with any part of the engine, and a good distance from the exhaust manifold.

You have checked to see that your needle is centred I presume? And the dashpot oiled?

Dashpot was a little low on oil, and I've topped it up.

I've done nothing with the carb at present, apart from dashpot. My inclination is to rebuild it as well.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 21 Apr 2015, 23:33
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (GodalmingYellow @ 21 Apr 2015, 16:55 ) *
Dashpot was a little low on oil, and I've topped it up.

I've done nothing with the carb at present, apart from dashpot. My inclination is to rebuild it as well.

Before doing anything else, you might as well check to see the needle is centred. Remove the air cleaner connection to the carb, look in the carb inlet and you will see the bottom edge of the aluminium piston. Lift it with a finger and then let it go. It should drop quite quickly..... not snap back down, but not stop or shudder on the way down. There is a good chance that it will be a bit sticky, and then you will need to centre the jet around the needle. Have a go, because a non-centred needle messes everything else up. It might just need a few minutes to cool down before the piston will drop, and that might be why it's not starting hot. Try it first.
PM  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 22 Apr 2015, 18:08
Post #5

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 22 Apr 2015, 00:33 ) *
Before doing anything else, you might as well check to see the needle is centred. Remove the air cleaner connection to the carb, look in the carb inlet and you will see the bottom edge of the aluminium piston. Lift it with a finger and then let it go. It should drop quite quickly..... not snap back down, but not stop or shudder on the way down. There is a good chance that it will be a bit sticky, and then you will need to centre the jet around the needle. Have a go, because a non-centred needle messes everything else up. It might just need a few minutes to cool down before the piston will drop, and that might be why it's not starting hot. Try it first.

OK will do. Thanks Llan.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 01:59