GodalmingYellow
post 6 Mar 2015, 20:02
Post #1

Senior Poster
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 9,633
Proud citizen of: en

The Hindustan replacement parts turned out to be rubbish.

The parts are poor quality, bad fit and terrible chroming.

The door handles were all loose due to length not being quite right and lip at end being too thin. One of the handles kept partially falling off. So, I've put the originals back on. Even with pitting they look better.

I'll be taking all the other India made parts off too and putting originals back on. Never mind, it was worth a try for new chrome.

Fixed rear door lock. Door has not been lockable since I've owned Phoebe. In the locking mechanism itself, there is a small tab on the final rotating piece, which prevents the external button release from working. It had been bent inwards (possibly by someone trying to force the door open with the child lock on. Bent the tab back into place, and hey presto, a locking door.

Also started putting on replacement door seals. If you need the seam clips, they are the same as ones for a Mini.

Might get a chance to finish the seals this weekend, so I can take Phoebe in the London to Brighton rally in May.

This post has been edited by GodalmingYellow: 6 Mar 2015, 20:02
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 6 Mar 2015, 20:28
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (GodalmingYellow @ 6 Mar 2015, 13:02 ) *
The Hindustan replacement parts turned out to be rubbish.

The parts are poor quality, bad fit and terrible chroming.

The door handles were all loose due to length not being quite right and lip at end being too thin. One of the handles kept partially falling off. So, I've put the originals back on. Even with pitting they look better.

I'll be taking all the other India made parts off too and putting originals back on. Never mind, it was worth a try for new chrome.

Fixed rear door lock. Door has not been lockable since I've owned Phoebe. In the locking mechanism itself, there is a small tab on the final rotating piece, which prevents the external button release from working. It had been bent inwards (possibly by someone trying to force the door open with the child lock on. Bent the tab back into place, and hey presto, a locking door.

Also started putting on replacement door seals. If you need the seam clips, they are the same as ones for a Mini.

Might get a chance to finish the seals this weekend, so I can take Phoebe in the London to Brighton rally in May.

Great work! Good to know (sad to hear) about the Indian parts being lousy.

PM  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 6 Mar 2015, 22:48
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,860
Proud citizen of: ca

Interesting! I have Hindustan hinges on both ends of the car and they work well and look quite nice.
PM  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 6 Mar 2015, 23:39
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic

QUOTE (mwgiesbrecht @ 6 Mar 2015, 15:48 ) *
Interesting! I have Hindustan hinges on both ends of the car and they work well and look quite nice.

That's interesting. Maybe if you both posted links to the retailers you used it would be useful to know. There are so many people selling the chrome parts now, and sellers of higher quality products need to be rewarded.
PM  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 7 Mar 2015, 08:56
Post #5

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (mwgiesbrecht @ 6 Mar 2015, 23:48 ) *

In fairness, I had forgotten about the hinges, which are indeed ok (which is probably why I forgot about them).

I also have the Hindustan headlamp surrounds, which are appalling. They had corroded within a week of fitting and they are not even the correct shape or size.

The boot lock is the wrong shape also and has discoloured, and there are no screw holes for fitting. Instead they have fixing studs which are in the wrong position for alignment with the existing holes in the boot.

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mrblue
post 7 Mar 2015, 09:22
Post #6

Super Poster

Member No.: 14,638

QUOTE (GodalmingYellow @ 7 Mar 2015, 09:56 ) *
In fairness, I had forgotten about the hinges, which are indeed ok (which is probably why I forgot about them).

I also have the Hindustan headlamp surrounds, which are appalling. They had corroded within a week of fitting and they are not even the correct shape or size.

The boot lock is the wrong shape also and has discoloured, and there are no screw holes for fitting. Instead they have fixing studs which are in the wrong position for alignment with the existing holes in the boot.

That's weird as my bonnet hinges from India were not fit for purpose, as one snapped in half when i closed the bonnet & the hinge pin on the other dropped out later. It's not even on the road yet.. Fortunately Howard our guru had a pair unused originals.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 7 Mar 2015, 11:42
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic

Since there are numerous retailers on eBay flogging this stuff, then let me suggest again that if you post the details of the specific retailers and their products, noting which products were satisfactory and which unsatisfactory, then this could be very useful. Merely saying that you got good or bad 'uns without details of origin serves no real purpose. There are no doubt hundreds, if not thousands, of back-street enterprises churning out Hindustan parts, and the good people deserve a boost, whereas the bad ones need to find that their poor quality parts do not sell. Also make sure you give poor feedback on eBay, although that is easier said than done, as I have discovered.
PM  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 7 Mar 2015, 15:08
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,860
Proud citizen of: ca

I just tried to check my eBay history, but apparently I bought them too long ago for it to show me who the seller was. I'll trawl through my emails to see if I can find a receipt.

aha!

I got them from Royal Spares. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/royalspares

This post has been edited by mwgiesbrecht: 7 Mar 2015, 15:15
PM  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 7 Mar 2015, 23:36
Post #9

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (mwgiesbrecht @ 7 Mar 2015, 16:08 ) *
I just tried to check my eBay history, but apparently I bought them too long ago for it to show me who the seller was. I'll trawl through my emails to see if I can find a receipt.

aha!

I got them from Royal Spares. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/royalspares

Mine were from Royal Spares too.

Beware, from memory, they trade under several different ebay accounts.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 7 Mar 2015, 23:46
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic

QUOTE (GodalmingYellow @ 7 Mar 2015, 16:36 ) *
Mine were from Royal Spares too.

Beware, from memory, they trade under several different ebay accounts.

Well, that seems to blow that theory out of the water. Maybe he's a Britparts clone, so you just have to take the luck of the draw, and they buy willy nilly. I noticed that their headlamp rims were the incorrect shape.
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 8 Mar 2015, 00:18
Post #11

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

Mmm - hopes raised, hopes dashed.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
mrblue
post 8 Mar 2015, 08:32
Post #12

Super Poster

Member No.: 14,638

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 8 Mar 2015, 01:18 ) *
Mmm - hopes raised, hopes dashed.

P45.
Sorry lad's mine were from Royal Spares too
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 9 Mar 2015, 18:18
Post #13

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (GodalmingYellow @ 6 Mar 2015, 21:02 ) *

Well as soon as I declared that I was going to the garage to work on Phoebe, suddenly a long list of other non-car related jobs was presented to me, by the one who may not be argued with.

I managed to get one more door seal on!

This post has been edited by GodalmingYellow: 9 Mar 2015, 18:19
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 02:01