webmonster
post 5 Oct 2014, 07:41
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

Here I am back again after nearly a 600 mile round trip. Two good friends came with me and we had a fantastic gentlemen's weekend away. Good company, good food, plenty to talk about... and a bit of old-car fun thrown in. I learned a lot and came up with many small but potentially effective ways to improve aspects of my life (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Crummy weather on departure (strong winds and rain) and mixed weather throughout the weekend. Fortunately I have had the rear windscreen seal replaced and the front one re-sealed, so a *much* drier trip than my last Auckland excursion, however the front 'screen still let a small amount of water in.

Guzzler ran well, eventually reaching 24.5 mpg, even with spirited driving. Brendan drove for half of the way there (and back) and it was good to have his opinions and ideas. He agreed that there is a bit more understeer around left-hand corners and gave me some ideas to try. Cheap and easy was checking tyre pressures and bringing them up 2 psi higher and checking they were even.

Other discussions involved preparing a new cylinder head (we're going to try an arrangement where the studs are shortened and avoid partially blocking the inlet manifold), going up a size of exhaust pipe by 1/4" and how the engine could easily handle a higher ratio for cruising - either a 3.54:1 diff or an overdrive gearbox - so I am on the hunt for either!

Also, the front doors both need much better adjustment. They let so much wind noise in, especially the front passenger door, where the frame appears somewhat bent.

Other good news - I changed the oil and filter before leaving and I found that I could tighten up the spin-on filter adaptor a bit which appears to have solved the oil leak. Fingers crossed! If I solve the oil leak then I can safely change the gearbox rubber mounts too.

One really nice aspect of the trip was meeting up with 3 other Morris Isis - two woody Travellers and a series I saloon; probably the largest meeting of Isis owners in NZ since.... goodness knows when!
Our 6 cylinder Morrises sounded fantastic, if I do say so myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached File  20141004_083623sm.jpg ( 79.27K ) Number of downloads: 0

From L to R: Murray and Betty's series I, the Guzzler, Terry's restored Traveller, Terry's highly original Traveller
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 5 Oct 2014, 10:08
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

Sounds like an excellent trip, interesting and a great photo. Thank you.

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 5 Oct 2014, 13:30
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

Smashing picture! Hopefully your friend Terry is well into his 90's and will have to dispose of his cars fairly soon, in which case please put me down for one Traveller!
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 5 Oct 2014, 19:32
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 6 Oct 2014, 02:30 ) *
Smashing picture! Hopefully your friend Terry is well into his 90's and will have to dispose of his cars fairly soon, in which case please put me down for one Traveller!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
They're a wonderful pair of Travellers, eh?
He's put twin exhausts on both of them a la some of the 6/99 or 6/110s (everything else still original). They sound wonderful (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Guzzler requires either twin pipes or a larger one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
wolseley16/60aut...
post 6 Oct 2014, 03:20
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 555

Nah, put an Austin Healy motor in with triple S.U. 1" 3/4" carbs, 1/2 race cam, flows, etc., etc., etc.,.....
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 6 Oct 2014, 07:08
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (wolseley16/60auto @ 6 Oct 2014, 16:20 ) *
Nah, put an Austin Healy motor in with triple S.U. 1" 3/4" carbs, 1/2 race cam, flows, etc., etc., etc.,.....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Yeah, I could mortgage my house and get a new alloy head and block to go with the triple 1 3/4" SUs etc.
Nice and docile for around town use (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

I measured the diameter of the tailpipe with my calipers today and I was very surprised to see that it is just 40mm - 1 1/2 inch. I've always thought it was 1 7/8", so that is a bit constipated and can't be helping my fuel economy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Some email correspondence with an MG Magnette owner revealed that going up from a pea-shooter exhaust pipe to 1 3/4" on a 1489 B series could increase fuel economy by about 10%!

Medium term plan is to investigate replacement exhaust system. Later I can look into obtaining a 'big log' manifold head and investigate modifying this so the cylinder head studs are shortened so the manifold is clear. Also a good time to look at hardened exhaust seat inserts etc.

Add to this the bigger carb heatshield I had Malcolm (an ex-student) make for me and I am hoping that I can have a nice torquey engine with better fuel economy once I get the carb needles sorted out.
...but I am getting the Oxford back on the road first!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 10:07