Fred Oldham
post 15 Sep 2014, 15:01
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 19,302
Proud citizen of: en

Having got out of the habit of pushing hard on the brake pedal, I am thinking of adding a servo unit to my A90 to make life easier. I suspect the master cylinder is knackered anyway, so would do both jobs and a full fluid change. What I need to know is; a supplier of a suitably sized vacuum servo unit and replacement master cylinder.
Like with the brakes, it has been a long time since I had a car that almost gave me a hernia cranking the steering round at low speeds. I am thinking that a power steering rack and suitable mods to the column would improve the accuracy and feel, as well as taking the effort out of it. I have not yet measured up and commenced looking for possible donors, but would welcome any opinions. ( even if it's "Leave it alone, you vandal! )
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 1 Dec 2014, 14:20
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Thanks for overwhelming raft of suggestions for this project. I have ordered a new master cylinder, courtesy of ebay, that should be delivered in the next day or so. Likewise I have found a site that sells new remote fitting brake servos. I have chosen to go with one that offers a 1.90 to 1 ratio, which I assume to mean that it will almost halve the pedal pressure required. This too, should arrive in a day or so. Now the seat-belt job is nearing completion, I can go straight on with the brakes. Should be on the road by Christmas with a much reduced chance of an accident and a vastly better chance of surviving one! It's my eternal optimism that keeps me going.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
ahctog
post 1 Dec 2014, 20:30
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 211

Power steering came in as an option on 6/110 in 1961/2, so I would guess that it was unavailable on the A90. An option may be an electric unit, these are available for most older vehicles now as a bespoke fitting..... for the life of me I can't remember the name though. There are a couple of mentions on the forum somewhere.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 1 Dec 2014, 23:41
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

Here is a British EPS supplier that I have read about.

easysteer

There is also the EZ unit from The Netherlands (I believe)

EZ

Both not a cheap option I would venture!

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 2 Dec 2014, 13:14
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Thanks for the input on this one. I am thinking to replace the steering box set-up with a rack and pinion. There are loads of power racks out there in the breakers yards. It's just a case of measuring up and finding something suitable. Another reason is to include a universally jointed section. In a front-end collision the existing system, being rigid, is pushed back into the driver's chest. Not good. On a jointed system, with the joint out of line of the rest of the column, this doesn't happen. I know I'm being a bit pessimistic here, but better save than sorry. The rack would also be more positive than the old 'box and wouldn't need the constant small steering inputs to keep a straight line. What do you think?
BTW I've just been along to the Post Office and collected my brake servo...... "It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas."
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 2 Dec 2014, 14:12
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (Fred Oldham @ 2 Dec 2014, 06:14 ) *
........ The rack would also be more positive than the old 'box and wouldn't need the constant small steering inputs to keep a straight line. What do you think?

What tyres are you running? If crossplies, then rack and pinion won't improve this, since the condition is inherent to the tyres.

In the case of a collision, what would your insurance company say about a home-made change to the steering gear, do you think?
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 2 Dec 2014, 17:14
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 2 Dec 2014, 14:12 ) *
In the case of a collision, what would your insurance company say about a home-made change to the steering gear, do you think?

Hmm - very fair point. Might be an idea to get the final work assessed professionally and some sort of approval certificate issued.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 2 Dec 2014, 18:09
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Quite agree about having it checked out when I've done it. On the tyres front, I am running on Hankook radials all round and all new. I suspect the A110 power steering option was still a steering box. My predudice against them may be a bit o.t.t but they are seldom as good as a rack.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 3 Dec 2014, 00:00
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

Fred, You are right about the 110 Westies, the Power steering was a box as used on other large saloon cars like the Rover P5s Vanden Plas 3 & 4 Litre etc...Generally a leaky brute of a thing!
A chap here in Australia converted a Wolseley 6/90, which is a similar size and weight to your A90 albeit a different front end set up, by using a late model Cortina power rack (MkV?). I do recall he had to use different tie rods and a pump and reservoir from something Oriental.

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 3 Dec 2014, 14:43
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Hi Danny, I'm thinking Rover 75 sounds like the size I need, but I have never studied one with a view to it being a donor. There are plenty in the scrapyards. Their fuel pumps and turbo pressure controllers etc are direct replacements for BMW bits. ( ask me how i know!) I'll pick a fine day and suggest to my son that he could do with a day out. He's a car nut and would live in the local breakers if he could.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 4 Dec 2014, 14:00
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

The new master cylinder arrived yesterday. It's not a genuine Girling part, but it looks to be well made and cost half the Girling price. As soon as the seat-belt marathon is done I can crack on with giving 'Christine' some decent anchors.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 7 Dec 2014, 19:43
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Made a start today by removing the master cylinder. One bolt, one stud? Is that normal? I expected two of either not one of each, but hey ho, it's off now. I took the battery off and the thick plastic tray it sits in to improve access. I was pleased to see that whilst some of the paint was a bit flaky and loose thanks to brake fluid, there was no rust. Neither had that greeny, yellowy, furry crud that falls off battery terminals made it's presence felt. So I degreased the area with thinners, rubbed it down with wire wool and gave it a coat of primer. I've decided to paint it with the dark green Hammerite I did the floor pans with. It's a decent colour match and readily available.
While that was drying I decided to remove the inlet manifold ready to drill and tap for a spigot to fix the vacuum pipe to. There was already a small pipe that had been plugged. This was the vac line for the original washers. The bottle and diaphagm gubbins was still in the engne bay along with the perished and very much knackered rubber pipework. I might test it sometime, but I will be very surprised if it hasn't fallen apart inside. Looking at the manifold, it appeared that by undoing the nuts holding it to the head and the four fixing it to the exhaust manifold it should slide off. Apparently not. It came a little way and then 'hit' something unseen. With a light and a mirror I found that inside the hot-spot were some bolt-heads obstructing it. This mean't unbolting the exhaust manifold and moving it on it's studs a bit untill the inlet finally came off. The bolt-heads were securing a tri-lobe doodad that looks like a lemon squeezer. Anyway, to avoid the interference problem again I got the angle grinder out and took the heads down to just under half their thickness. Bolted the exhaust back up and tried the inlet..hey presto the slide fit that it should have been. Finished the session by filing the sharp edges and radiussing the inside of the inlet manifold. Not expecting to tell the difference,but makes me feel better. The general design of the intake set-up is abyssmal, what with 90 degree bends, head studs passing though the middle and the chronic mis-match of port lengths. Cast into the head is the name 'Weslake'. If it's the same guy behind the tuning outfit, he should be seriously ashamed of himself for this design!

This post has been edited by Fred Oldham: 7 Dec 2014, 19:44
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 7 Dec 2014, 20:48
Post #13

Administrator
Group Icon

My 18/85 and 1800 have both cylinders retained by one bolt and one stud. It's to do with retaining the pedal box on the other side of the bulkhead.

Here's an interesting bit from the MORRIS FORUM about the 6 cylinder head. It probably says "Weslake" on the head because he'll be the chap who made it work at all!

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 8 Dec 2014, 12:28
Post #14

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Read that, posted a reply and somehow managed to lose it! Try again. Interesting history and good power gains. I'd like a 20-30 bhp improvement, but without spending a fortune. I suspect the economical way would be to fit a later series engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/offtopic.gif) Yes, starting to digress a bit here. I'll go back to making it stop a bit easier and worry later about the wheel-spin potential. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by Fred Oldham: 8 Dec 2014, 12:29
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 10 Dec 2014, 17:34
Post #15

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Made a bit more progress this week. Cleaned and prepped the carb side inner wing for the Hammerite paint job. Again, only the lightest rust in places where the paint has been damaged. Drilled and fitted the fixings for the servo mounting plate. I did look at fitting the battery in the boot so the servo could go where the battery lives, but the space between the boot lining and the outer wing is too small to accomodate it. The up-side is that when I need to service the distributor, fuel pump, gear-change and hand-brake linkages, I only need to take the battery off to give me plenty of space.
I need to find a suitable hose connector for the vac pipe that has an easily sourced thread size and drill and tap the inlet manifold.

The accelerator linkage has a pivot/suport in a hole on the bulk-head. Or, it should have. Mine just goes through a manky looking grommet and is supported by nothing at all. It seems to work ok, but would like to sort it. Can anyone post up a picture of what this bit looks like? Even better, anyone got a spare one? Beer tokens are on offer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 17 Dec 2014, 16:33
Post #16

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Did the paint job. Looks nice ans clean and shiny now. Fitted the servo unit just forward of the carb and air-cleaner. If I've cocked-up the measurements it's just where the carb and air-cleaner are! The kit included a ready-made pipe to connect the servo to the master cylinder. For some reason, perhaps an oversight on the part of the supplier, it didn't include one to connect the servo to the tree-way union. So, I had to make one up. My son had some pipe and the kit the do it. The pipe he had was copper and I know the arguments for and against using copper. However, this pipe will be fixed to the bodywork at regular points, so I am confident that work hardening due to vibration/flexing will not be a problem.
This afternoon the manifold was drilled and tapped to suit a hose connector for the vacuum pipe. This means that the manifold, carb etc can be re-assembled tomorrow and the brakes filled with fresh fluid and bled.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 19 Dec 2014, 10:04
Post #17

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

I refitted the inlet manifold and carb. It took ten times longer than it should because I had put a couple of the fixing bolts somewhere 'safe' and couldn't remember where! They were actually inside the air-cleaner. Clever yes? I knew the clearance between the air-cleaner and the servo was going to be a bit tight, but it was even tighter than that, but it does fit. So everything is connected up except the accelerator linkage. This connects to the carb with a spring, washer and split pin and ......and you guessed it, I have put them somewhere safe! No doubt they will turn up when I'm not looking for them. So I've got the car in the air with all the wheels off and all bleed nipples cleaned and free'd off ready for the fresh brake fluid.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
ahctog
post 19 Dec 2014, 18:38
Post #18

Group Icon

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 211

heh heh .... the safer the place, the less chance of ever finding them again!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Fred Oldham
post 21 Dec 2014, 18:43
Post #19

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Filled it up with fresh fluid, connected the Eezi-Bleed and filled the trough in the main chassis rail with brake fluid! I hadn't tightened one of the new pipe unions enough. Mopped it up, hopefully before it had a go at my fresh paint, and started again. Got the brakes bled and was all ready to refit the road wheels when I noticed a wet patch on the rear off-side drum. This turned out to be axle oil. The half-shaft / bearing housing gasket seems to be leaking. Stripped it down and cleaned off the oil ready to re-seal and re-assemble, maybe tomorrow, but it's getting a bit close to Christmas now. Other things need to done, less the season won't be as full of goodwill as it should be! Watch this space.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 21 Dec 2014, 20:13
Post #20

Administrator
Group Icon

According to the divine MrsP, I am:

1/ "In the way again"
2/ "A liability in the kitchen"
3/ "You're under my feet again"
4/ "Haven't you got anything better to do than watch football"

This a knack which has taken years to develop and perfect, such that it usually ends with

"Go and do something in the garage and I'll call you when dinners ready".

Yes......................... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 14:36