> New Isis member
Cliff
post 22 Aug 2014, 04:27
Post #1

Intermediate Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 19,307
Proud citizen of: ca

My name is Cliff from Cranbrook, B.C. and I have just acquired a 1957 Morris Isis automatic sedan
Attached File  Isisi_front_small.jpg ( 144.3K ) Number of downloads: 2
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 22 Aug 2014, 07:57
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

QUOTE (Cliff @ 22 Aug 2014, 16:27 ) *
My name is Cliff from Cranbrook, B.C. and I have just acquired a 1957 Morris Isis automatic sedan

Hi Cliff,
Thanks for posting a pic of your newly acquired Isis. We'd love to see more pics if you have any.

Looks like it has been outside for a while - needs a bit of a waterblast to get the moss and lichen off!

Other than the frontal damage how does it look? Is there much rust?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 22 Aug 2014, 12:46
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

Hi Cliff and welcome to the Forum. What a find! I'm very jealous. Luckily you're from a part of the world that tends to be kind to cars that sit outside, unlike Alberta where I believe there is salt even in the air from all the Winter road salting. It also looks as though your Isis is up off the ground. A good wash and some cutting compound may well do miracles for it. I'll second Webmonster's call for more pictures when you get a chance...... looks as if the car is full of something, hopefully something useful.

Bob near Edmonton
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 25 Aug 2014, 08:18
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,739
Proud citizen of: en

QUOTE (Cliff @ 22 Aug 2014, 05:27 ) *
Attached File  Isisi_front_small.jpg ( 144.3K ) Number of downloads: 2

Welcome aboard Cliff - like the others I crave more pictures and the whole story behind your acquisition (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

I think we've discussed automatic examples here before, but there are certainly few remaining so you have yourself a rare car!

Good luck, and please come back soon.

Howard.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 28 Apr 2015, 03:36
Post #5

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (webmonster @ 22 Aug 2014, 08:57 ) *
Hi Cliff,
Thanks for posting a pic of your newly acquired Isis. We'd love to see more pics if you have any.

Looks like it has been outside for a while - needs a bit of a waterblast to get the moss and lichen off!

Other than the frontal damage how does it look? Is there much rust?

A belated hello. I have been extremely busy all winter and just now getting around to looking at my Isis. There is very little rust, lots of moss and glass is in good shape and the left front fender as you see is pushed in making the driver's door quite hard to open, but bodywise, it is good and almost all chrome. The engine is seized but hopefully I can have some time this summer to fix that. I have to chase the papers down as yet also. It says only 39000 miles, probably 139000. I was looking at your Isis and it is one sharp cruiser!. I also have a 1957 Hillman Husky which is on the road but still needs lots of attention. Our British car club is putting on a show this September and I have intentions on driving it to the show, which is about 3 hours away, but of course, it all depends on progress on the Isis.

Cheers,
Cliff
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 28 Apr 2015, 04:20
Post #6

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 22 Aug 2014, 13:46 ) *
Hi Cliff and welcome to the Forum. What a find! I'm very jealous. Luckily you're from a part of the world that tends to be kind to cars that sit outside, unlike Alberta where I believe there is salt even in the air from all the Winter road salting. It also looks as though your Isis is up off the ground. A good wash and some cutting compound may well do miracles for it. I'll second Webmonster's call for more pictures when you get a chance...... looks as if the car is full of something, hopefully something useful.

Bob near Edmonton

Hi, Bob;
The car actually isn't in too bad of shape considering. There was just a bunch of junk the last person had that was inside the car. I am hoping to get some time on it early this year. The car has a plastic garage over it at present, so lots of breathing space (wind) around it. I will try to get some pictures later after I get the moss off of it. A friend of mine that knew I loved British cars, called me up one day and said he had a friend in town that had a Morris that he had to get out of the yard because he was getting married so I made a deal for it and trailered it home. I have been trying to find out how many Isis cars are in Canada but have only heard about one in Ontario so far. The previous owner's father had purchased the car for the son from a lady in Kimberley who bought it new but he couldn't remember if it was ever registered to him but it was last registered in 1973, so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to register.

Cheers,
Cliff
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 28 Apr 2015, 04:42
Post #7

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 25 Aug 2014, 09:18 ) *
Welcome aboard Cliff - like the others I crave more pictures and the whole story behind your acquisition (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

I think we've discussed automatic examples here before, but there are certainly few remaining so you have yourself a rare car!

Good luck, and please come back soon.

Howard.

Hi, Howard and good to meet you.
You have a fabulous collection of Isis cars. I didn't know that many could exist in one place! In fact I didn't even know they existed until I picked this one up. I have had Morris and Austin cars over the years but the Isis is way outside the "small" character of Morris that I have come to know so it is a challenge to get this one up and running and I am anxious to drive this one on Canadian highways at modern highway speeds. My Hillman Husky is a fun car but just not really designed to keep up with traffic around here.
We started a British car club in town a couple years ago so I really enjoying getting back into British cars again and the Isis adds nicely to our repertoire of models.
I just noticed on the bottom of the replies about email notifications and should have noticed that when I first posted and I would not have waited so long to reply (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

Cheers,
Cliff
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 29 Apr 2015, 06:43
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cliff @ 28 Apr 2015, 05:42 ) *
Hi, Howard and good to meet you.
You have a fabulous collection of Isis cars. I didn't know that many could exist in one place! In fact I didn't even know they existed until I picked this one up. I have had Morris and Austin cars over the years but the Isis is way outside the "small" character of Morris that I have come to know so it is a challenge to get this one up and running and I am anxious to drive this one on Canadian highways at modern highway speeds. My Hillman Husky is a fun car but just not really designed to keep up with traffic around here.
We started a British car club in town a couple years ago so I really enjoying getting back into British cars again and the Isis adds nicely to our repertoire of models.
I just noticed on the bottom of the replies about email notifications and should have noticed that when I first posted and I would not have waited so long to reply (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

Cheers,
Cliff

Hi Cliff - I almost thought you'd given up before you started! Great to hear from you again, and good luck with this summer's plans.

I would be interested to know if the colour is original, and what colour the interior is, as Series II cars were available in the UK with a multitude of options even though Morris sold very few - I don't think I've ever actually seen a cream one in the flesh.

Don't forget, more pictures when you get a chance, and don't hesitate to ask for help/advice/information as you go - we might even be able to find that elusive part between us...

All the best, Howard.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 3 May 2015, 04:15
Post #9

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 29 Apr 2015, 07:43 ) *
Hi Cliff - I almost thought you'd given up before you started! Great to hear from you again, and good luck with this summer's plans.

I would be interested to know if the colour is original, and what colour the interior is, as Series II cars were available in the UK with a multitude of options even though Morris sold very few - I don't think I've ever actually seen a cream one in the flesh.

Don't forget, more pictures when you get a chance, and don't hesitate to ask for help/advice/information as you go - we might even be able to find that elusive part between us...

All the best, Howard.

Hi, Howard;
I had not given up, I just didn't have my profile set up properly by the looks of it. According to the body number (Re: one of the Morris sites), it has a cream paint scheme, which it still has. The headliner is grey and the seats and inner side panels are red, almost a maroon The body number is SAP41 /12745. I just talked to a friend of mine tonight who has a power washer and he will probably bring it over next week, (hopefully when I have more time than this week), so I should be able to get started on the Morris. I went out looking for tires for my Hillman from a breakers friend just over the border in the U.S. but he told me I got all the tires that would fit the car last year, which was the old VW tires, so there goes my quick fix for tires for that one for a while, but there is still hope in my area.
Here is another picture of the Isis from a rear angle [attachment=34331:Isis_Rig...ar_Small.jpg]

Cheers,
Cliff

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Isis_Right_Rear_Small.jpg ( 77.97K ) Number of downloads: 0

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 3 May 2015, 07:35
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cliff @ 3 May 2015, 05:15 ) *
Hi, Howard;
I had not given up, I just didn't have my profile set up properly by the looks of it. According to the body number (Re: one of the Morris sites), it has a cream paint scheme, which it still has. The headliner is grey and the seats and inner side panels are red, almost a maroon The body number is SAP41 /12745. I just talked to a friend of mine tonight who has a power washer and he will probably bring it over next week, (hopefully when I have more time than this week), so I should be able to get started on the Morris. I went out looking for tires for my Hillman from a breakers friend just over the border in the U.S. but he told me I got all the tires that would fit the car last year, which was the old VW tires, so there goes my quick fix for tires for that one for a while, but there is still hope in my area.
Here is another picture of the Isis from a rear angle [attachment=34331:Isis_Rig...ar_Small.jpg]

Cheers,
Cliff

Morning Cliff - thanks for the chassis number details and confirmtaion of the colour scheme; as I said I don't think I've ever seen a cream one so that's interesting in itself! I don't have all my chassis number details in front of me, but I would say that yours is quite a late car as I seem to recall that numbesr ceased around 13000.

Anyway, good luck with the pressure washer, that'll make it look a whole lot better - or maybe several holes worse!!

Pictures always welcome - I am about to scrap a Series II Traveller which I will photograph in detail (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Howard.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 4 May 2015, 04:12
Post #11

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 3 May 2015, 08:35 ) *
Morning Cliff - thanks for the chassis number details and confirmtaion of the colour scheme; as I said I don't think I've ever seen a cream one so that's interesting in itself! I don't have all my chassis number details in front of me, but I would say that yours is quite a late car as I seem to recall that numbesr ceased around 13000.

Anyway, good luck with the pressure washer, that'll make it look a whole lot better - or maybe several holes worse!!

Pictures always welcome - I am about to scrap a Series II Traveller which I will photograph in detail (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Howard.

Hi, Howard;
That is good news about the serial number. Now I have an idea where my Isis sits in the production line. The cream colour kind of threw me also, as I had not seen any other Isis with one solid colour online. I am assuming the "S" in the body number is for "Isis". I spent the day working on my daily driver to get it back in road condition and while doing this, I was standing beside my Isis and thinking what it would be like to take it for a cruise later. Hopefully next week things will work out that I can give the Isis a good cleaning. My youngest grandson helped me today and he offered to help me wash the car next week so he is part of my inspiration and he loves working on old cars. Hopefully I will remember to take some pictures when we pull the car out to wash it. I would like to see the pictures of your traveller to give me an insight into various spots on the car that might need some attention later.

Cheers,
Cliff

This post has been edited by Cliff: 4 May 2015, 04:15
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 4 May 2015, 08:50
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cliff @ 4 May 2015, 05:12 ) *
Hi, Howard;
That is good news about the serial number. Now I have an idea where my Isis sits in the production line. The cream colour kind of threw me also, as I had not seen any other Isis with one solid colour online. I am assuming the "S" in the body number is for "Isis". I spent the day working on my daily driver to get it back in road condition and while doing this, I was standing beside my Isis and thinking what it would be like to take it for a cruise later. Hopefully next week things will work out that I can give the Isis a good cleaning. My youngest grandson helped me today and he offered to help me wash the car next week so he is part of my inspiration and he loves working on old cars. Hopefully I will remember to take some pictures when we pull the car out to wash it. I would like to see the pictures of your traveller to give me an insight into various spots on the car that might need some attention later.

Cheers,
Cliff

From memory, the S means Isis, the A means 4 door saloon, the P is 'Ivory' (merely a generic description of the colour), the 4 is North American market, the 1 is the synthetic paint used, followed by the production number; I'm pretty sure Series II cars start at around ch.no. 7500 but there is a gap in the numbers issued at around 9000 IIRC until 11000 with chassis numbers ending in the 13000s. Most books claim around 3500 Series II versions were built, but unless you could be bothered to actually read the records there is no documentation to support model numbers - however I can say there are very few automatic survivors, only 4 or 5 including yours I would guess. I sold a fairly complete example to an exhibition company on the Isle of Wight a few years ago, plus another through eBay (but both were needing restoration so may not 'exist' any longer) and there is another running example here in the UK; add to that young Pete Torode's example (he posts on here) which is being slowly resurrected and yours, and that's about it I think.

Unless I've forgotten anybody...

Good luck with the family cleaning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 5 May 2015, 03:39
Post #13

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 4 May 2015, 09:50 ) *
From memory, the S means Isis, the A means 4 door saloon, the P is 'Ivory' (merely a generic description of the colour), the 4 is North American market, the 1 is the synthetic paint used, followed by the production number; I'm pretty sure Series II cars start at around ch.no. 7500 but there is a gap in the numbers issued at around 9000 IIRC until 11000 with chassis numbers ending in the 13000s. Most books claim around 3500 Series II versions were built, but unless you could be bothered to actually read the records there is no documentation to support model numbers - however I can say there are very few automatic survivors, only 4 or 5 including yours I would guess. I sold a fairly complete example to an exhibition company on the Isle of Wight a few years ago, plus another through eBay (but both were needing restoration so may not 'exist' any longer) and there is another running example here in the UK; add to that young Pete Torode's example (he posts on here) which is being slowly resurrected and yours, and that's about it I think.

Hi, Howard;
That is interesting about production numbers. I have tried to find information on my Hillman Husky but it is also pretty scarce. So far I have found very little about numbers other than here. I heard about an Isis automatic in Ontario, Canada last year and I read about an automatic on this forum also in Ontario I believe in 2013 and it probably is the same one and by the phone number of the person who is the third party, it sounds like southern Ontario. His name was Roger from the forum but I do not know who that is. It sounds like Peter has a great restoration project and it would be fantastic to say that he got his license while driving his own Isis restoration.
Cheers,
Cliff
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 7 May 2015, 02:09
Post #14

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

QUOTE (Cliff @ 4 May 2015, 16:12 ) *
...I was standing beside my Isis and thinking what it would be like to take it for a cruise later.

I rather like taking mine for a cruise, but I am terribly biased (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
With shock absorbers and suspension bushes in good order and steering box etc. sorted out for minimal slop an Isis travels well.

re: colour
My sII Isis was originally blue all over, but when it was refinished I opted for a duo-tone finish, inspired by BJO150

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 7 May 2015, 02:36
Post #15

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (webmonster @ 7 May 2015, 03:09 ) *
I rather like taking mine for a cruise, but I am terribly biased (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
With shock absorbers and suspension bushes in good order and steering box etc. sorted out for minimal slop an Isis travels well.

re: colour
My sII Isis was originally blue all over, but when it was refinished I opted for a duo-tone finish, inspired by BJO150

Hi, webmonster;
I am envious, but one of these days.... My Hillman rides like a lumber wagon so it would be fantastic to have the Isis on the road with a big-car feel. I have a '91 Ford Crown Victoria as a daily driver and it rides very nice and I imagine the Isis would probably be something similar. The two tone looks great on your car. It gives it a sedate, almost luxurious appeal to it. I am not sure what I will do with mine as yet. If we can wash all the moss off the car this weekend, it might give me an idea whether to keep the colour or change.

Cheers,
Cliff
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 10 May 2015, 04:50
Post #16

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 4 May 2015, 08:50 ) *

Hi, Howard;
I got around to washing the Isis today, doing it by hand rather than a power washer and it came out reasonable. The power washer was not available so a hose and scrub brush and it showed up a few more rust holes I had not really seen previously. I even cleaned out the back and found a rather deteriorated back seat but at least I sort of know what I am up against. I have the car under a tent in the back yard so that is what you see around it. It actually looks like a car rather than a pile of moss.
Here is the attached picture.

Cheers,
Cliff

Attached File(s)
Attached File  After_Wash_May_9_15.jpg ( 144.31K ) Number of downloads: 0

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 10 May 2015, 08:42
Post #17

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cliff @ 10 May 2015, 05:50 ) *
Hi, Howard;
I got around to washing the Isis today, doing it by hand rather than a power washer and it came out reasonable. The power washer was not available so a hose and scrub brush and it showed up a few more rust holes I had not really seen previously. I even cleaned out the back and found a rather deteriorated back seat but at least I sort of know what I am up against. I have the car under a tent in the back yard so that is what you see around it. It actually looks like a car rather than a pile of moss.
Here is the attached picture.

Cheers,
Cliff

Cliff - it doesn't look as bad as some of mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I'm sure a good panel man would sort out the front wing - after all, it unbolts for easy access and doesn't look rotten! The bonnet has suffered the usual Series II damage where the prop mechanism attaches, but again a relatively straight forward repair, although the bonnet will need strengthening to stop it happening again; I would say that's why the bonnet hinges have broken rather than the other way round. Hopefully the front bumper will straighten out and that will just leave you with a little welding at the rear of the sills. A weekend's work methinks...

Seriously though, looks much better for a wash as it shows someone cares!

Attached File  DSC03282.JPG ( 144.71K ) Number of downloads: 0

Looks just the same...

Attached File  DSC03280.JPG ( 139.93K ) Number of downloads: 0

Welding required...

Attached File  DSC01606.JPG ( 385.38K ) Number of downloads: 0

Everywhere!

Attached File  DSC01716.JPG ( 352.6K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  DSC01983.JPG ( 350.81K ) Number of downloads: 0

But eventually...

Attached File  073.jpg ( 714.49K ) Number of downloads: 0

I have every confidence you can do it too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 10 May 2015, 15:18
Post #18

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 10 May 2015, 08:42 ) *
Cliff - it doesn't look as bad as some of mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I'm sure a good panel man would sort out the front wing - after all, it unbolts for easy access and doesn't look rotten! The bonnet has suffered the usual Series II damage where the prop mechanism attaches, but again a relatively straight forward repair, although the bonnet will need strengthening to stop it happening again; I would say that's why the bonnet hinges have broken rather than the other way round. Hopefully the front bumper will straighten out and that will just leave you with a little welding at the rear of the sills. A weekend's work methinks...

Seriously though, looks much better for a wash as it shows someone cares!

Attached File  DSC03282.JPG ( 144.71K ) Number of downloads: 0

Looks just the same...

Attached File  DSC03280.JPG ( 139.93K ) Number of downloads: 0

Welding required...

Attached File  DSC01606.JPG ( 385.38K ) Number of downloads: 0

Everywhere!

Attached File  DSC01716.JPG ( 352.6K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  DSC01983.JPG ( 350.81K ) Number of downloads: 0

But eventually...

Attached File  073.jpg ( 714.49K ) Number of downloads: 0

I have every confidence you can do it too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

Hi, Howard;
I gave it a good scrubbing yesterday but that was as far as I got because our British club had a cruise and dinner last night and considering I am the president of our branch, I should be there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . We dined out at a local "British" fish and chips restaurant just north of us. They just started the place a few months ago and originally owned two restaurants in Britain a few years ago, then moved here and started another "Britner's Fish and Chips" and the meal was fantastic so they knew what they were doing. I am glad to here that the fenders are bolted on as I didn't get a chance to take a look. That will make it considerably easier for repair. I haven't looked under very close as yet but it looked intact when I brought the car home so there is hope, but it might be a little longer than next weekend before it will be ready.
Anyway, it's off to Church this morning.
Cheers for now and than you for all your advise.
Cliff

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Cruise_and_Dinner_in_Kimberley.jpg ( 139.5K ) Number of downloads: 0

PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 10 May 2015, 16:35
Post #19

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

Cliff.... do you ever have a reason to come up near Edmonton? If so, I probably have some decent Oxford chrome trim and body parts that would be a considerable improvement on what I am seeing in your pictures. I don't know if it would be easier or cheaper to weld an extension on to an Oxford front wing than do the panel beating, but I do have a pretty fair left-side wing available.
PM  
+Quote Post
Cliff
post 11 May 2015, 06:08
Post #20

Intermediate Poster

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 10 May 2015, 16:35 ) *
Cliff.... do you ever have a reason to come up near Edmonton? If so, I probably have some decent Oxford chrome trim and body parts that would be a considerable improvement on what I am seeing in your pictures. I don't know if it would be easier or cheaper to weld an extension on to an Oxford front wing than do the panel beating, but I do have a pretty fair left-side wing available.

Hi, Llansadwrn;
I will just have to make a reason to go to Edmonton in the near future, if nothing else to meet you in person:). That sounds like a perfect reason that my wife and I have been looking for to "get out of Dodge". Can I email you direct, so as our back and forth communications won't clutter the forum? The extension idea might prove possibly better as there are two gouges just behind the headlight where a heavy protrusion cut through the fender metal on its way to modifying the shape and it looks like the fender is also pushed back so as to make the driver's door binding strongly on the fender as you open it.

Cheers,
Cliff
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 02:09