post 2 May 2014, 14:17
Post #1

Senior Poster
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 9,633
Proud citizen of: en

Got my new SU fuel pump for Phoebe.

How do I connect the fuel pipes to the pump?

The parts list page D2 shows elbows nuts and olives up to chassis 11,996. From 11,997, all it shows is elbows and it says the olives and nuts are only to 11,996 as well in the parts list.

Clearly if I were to simply push elbows into the unions on the new pump, I'm going to get fuel everywhere. So presumably there is some way of securing the elbows to the pump unions and sealing the joint. But it isn't shown in the parts list or manual.

The previous pump that died had elbows which screwed into the pump body and so don't fit the new pump.

Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 2 May 2014, 23:10
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

Could you post a picture or two of the new pump?
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 2 May 2014, 23:38
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

The "AU---" number would be even better!

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 3 May 2014, 07:31
Post #4

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Penguin45 @ 3 May 2014, 00:38 ) *
The "AU---" number would be even better!

P45.

It's a brand new SU with an AU4080 body as per following link. In connection terms it is identical to the original pump.

http://sucarb.co.uk/electric-fuel-pump-dua...rity-12183.html
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 3 May 2014, 07:36
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,739

QUOTE (GodalmingYellow @ 2 May 2014, 15:17 ) *
Got my new SU fuel pump for Phoebe.

How do I connect the fuel pipes to the pump?

The parts list page D2 shows elbows nuts and olives up to chassis 11,996. From 11,997, all it shows is elbows and it says the olives and nuts are only to 11,996 as well in the parts list.

Clearly if I were to simply push elbows into the unions on the new pump, I'm going to get fuel everywhere. So presumably there is some way of securing the elbows to the pump unions and sealing the joint. But it isn't shown in the parts list or manual.

The previous pump that died had elbows which screwed into the pump body and so don't fit the new pump.

Any ideas?

Terry - there were two types of fitting as you have 'spotted'! The earlier cars has threaded adaptors on the pump and then 'Petroflex' style hoses with nuts on between the metal pipes and the pump - your car would have originally had two rubber 90 degree elbows between the metal pipes and the pump, ie push on rather than screw on. I reckon you'll need to source a couple of 90 degree fittings and some olives if I read your post correctly?

Howard.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 3 May 2014, 13:18
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic

Here's a useful site:
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/Fu...mparticles.html

and I think this download might be of interest, basically a list of SU fittings with pictures and sources:
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/Fu...ne_Fittings.pdf
PM  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 3 May 2014, 19:54
Post #7

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 3 May 2014, 08:36 ) *
Terry - there were two types of fitting as you have 'spotted'! The earlier cars has threaded adaptors on the pump and then 'Petroflex' style hoses with nuts on between the metal pipes and the pump - your car would have originally had two rubber 90 degree elbows between the metal pipes and the pump, ie push on rather than screw on. I reckon you'll need to source a couple of 90 degree fittings and some olives if I read your post correctly?

Howard.

Yes mine are the later type, which presumably means I do not need olives. So do the rubber hoses just push over the the threaded connectors on the pump? Surely they won't stretch that much? The parts list seems to imply that I'm not missing any parts, but I'm far from convinced.

This post has been edited by GodalmingYellow: 3 May 2014, 19:59
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 3 May 2014, 20:02
Post #8

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 3 May 2014, 14:18 ) *
Here's a useful site:
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/Fu...mparticles.html

and I think this download might be of interest, basically a list of SU fittings with pictures and sources:
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/Fu...ne_Fittings.pdf

Thanks. That gives me an idea what to look for.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 3 May 2014, 20:58
Post #9

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

"BFS Part #" should allow you to order direct from Burlen.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 4 May 2014, 08:46
Post #10

Senior Poster
Group Icon

I'm obviously being thick here chaps. The parts list and manual shows nothing between the rubber fuel pipes and the fuel pump. They also show the pump only with threaded unions. I have exactly the same. So how do the pipes connect? Is there something missing from the parts list and manual? Possibly a short pipe with a nut connector to screw onto the pump? I see from Llans post that Burlen seem to have such connectors e.g. Fig 11? Most of the connectors in the Burlen catalogue won't fit as they are threaded unions, which I already have. Should the unions on the pump be replaced with e.g. Fig 14? I should add that I'm trying to get as close to the original set up as I can. I appreciate that the unions supplied with the pump are intended for compression fittings (and I suspect the parts list fails to mention the changed unions from chassis 11,997.

This post has been edited by GodalmingYellow: 4 May 2014, 09:10
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 4 May 2014, 13:52
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic

QUOTE (GodalmingYellow @ 4 May 2014, 02:46 ) *
I'm obviously being thick here chaps. The parts list and manual shows nothing between the rubber fuel pipes and the fuel pump. They also show the pump only with threaded unions. I have exactly the same. So how do the pipes connect? Is there something missing from the parts list and manual? Possibly a short pipe with a nut connector to screw onto the pump? I see from Llans post that Burlen seem to have such connectors e.g. Fig 11? Most of the connectors in the Burlen catalogue won't fit as they are threaded unions, which I already have. Should the unions on the pump be replaced with e.g. Fig 14? I should add that I'm trying to get as close to the original set up as I can. I appreciate that the unions supplied with the pump are intended for compression fittings (and I suspect the parts list fails to mention the changed unions from chassis 11,997.

In the absence of someone who knows better, I can only tell you what I would do: I'd take the new pump with all provided fittings, and about half an inch of your rubber fuel line, and head to a motor factor..... not a Halfords, I wouldn't have thought, but more to the sort of place the motor trade go, in a decent size town. I would then say to the person behind the counter "How do I go between this and this?" and then not take no for an answer. Eventually someone will get sick of you and take you off to their bin of fittings and you will get the adaptors necessary to go down to your fuel line. Don't forget to get small jubilee clips..... don't use the pinch-up type clips.
PM  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 4 May 2014, 14:41
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,860
Proud citizen of: ca

Okay so maybe I don't fully understand what you're trying to do, but from what I understand this is what I'd do....

Attached File  su.png ( 421.52K ) Number of downloads: 0
PM  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 4 May 2014, 14:42
Post #13

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

In fact....That's how I hooked my pump up.
PM  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 4 May 2014, 15:02
Post #14

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

Those type of pump bodies were originally intended for braided rubber fuel hose which had the rt angle connector with the hose crimped to the hosetail and the union nut to screw to the pump fitting. If you wanted to replace the braiding with plain rubber hose you could carefully cut of the brass crimp and attach a hose with a worm drive clip or whatever. In the absence of the original fitting you may have to do something like Matt has shown.
Here's a bad photo.

Attached File  su_005.jpg ( 377.38K ) Number of downloads: 0

Danny

This post has been edited by Danny: 4 May 2014, 15:03
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 4 May 2014, 15:05
Post #15

Wolseley Fanatic

QUOTE (mwgiesbrecht @ 4 May 2014, 08:42 ) *
In fact....That's how I hooked my pump up.

That looks like a nice tidy job Matt.
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 5 May 2014, 09:03
Post #16

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

My Oxford has pipes and fittings thus:
Attached File  DSCF8598sm.jpg ( 31.45K ) Number of downloads: 0

I had replacement braided hoses made up by Stevson Motors in the UK:
http://www.stevsonmotors.co.uk/Fuel.html

They had all the correct data for the length and connectors for a very reasonable price. It also appears they have a lot of fittings available for sale.

My Isis has a different set up, but when I got it the fuel pump was not an SU, so I doubt it is original. I don't have a photo handy.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 5 May 2014, 14:47
Post #17

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (mwgiesbrecht @ 4 May 2014, 15:41 ) *
Okay so maybe I don't fully understand what you're trying to do, but from what I understand this is what I'd do....

Attached File  su.png ( 421.52K ) Number of downloads: 0

That looks like a good solution! Do the barb fittings not fit directly onto the pump unions?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
GodalmingYellow
post 5 May 2014, 14:50
Post #18

Senior Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ 4 May 2014, 16:02 ) *
Those type of pump bodies were originally intended for braided rubber fuel hose which had the rt angle connector with the hose crimped to the hosetail and the union nut to screw to the pump fitting. If you wanted to replace the braiding with plain rubber hose you could carefully cut of the brass crimp and attach a hose with a worm drive clip or whatever. In the absence of the original fitting you may have to do something like Matt has shown.
Here's a bad photo.

Attached File  su_005.jpg ( 377.38K ) Number of downloads: 0

Danny

The braided hoses were only used to chassis number 11,996. After that rubber hoses were introduced, but the pump wasn't changed. The parts list is clearly missing the elbows and push on barb connectors.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 5 May 2014, 15:29
Post #19

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

The braided hoses were only used to chassis number 11,996. After that rubber hoses were introduced, but the pump wasn't changed. The parts list is clearly missing the elbows and push on barb connectors.

Similar story with the 6/90 Wolseley but I'm fairly sure they used the same connector but with a hose clip instead of the crimping.

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mwgiesbrecht
post 5 May 2014, 21:04
Post #20

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (GodalmingYellow @ 5 May 2014, 09:47 ) *
That looks like a good solution! Do the barb fittings not fit directly onto the pump unions?

They should, but the hoses then project from the the pump more than if you use the 90* adapter. Up to you.
PM  
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 14:37