webmonster
post 10 Mar 2014, 07:35
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

About once a year I check the valve clearances and I'm glad that I did.
The clearances had closed up a bit - something to keep an eye on.

I took the sparkplugs out to turn the engine over nicely (hurrah for crank handles!). They looked OK but the car needs more longer trips (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I set them with engine cold to .016" - non standard camshaft. If I had my time again I'd probably have kept a standard cam profile - one day I might re-fit one if a nice one turns up.

Attached File  20140310_171332sm.jpg ( 111.94K ) Number of downloads: 0

Have to be careful of getting a sore back by the time you get to clearance #12...
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 10 Mar 2014, 11:09
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

Ridiculously clean engine and carburreters. (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
enigmas
post 10 Mar 2014, 22:39
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 863

Nice clean and tidy engine and bay. Why do you choose to adjust the tappets when the engine is cold?
PM  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 11 Mar 2014, 00:05
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

Possibly because all Austin/Morris/BMH/BMC workshop manuals that I've come across only give you a cold setting? From a purely practical point of view, you'll get a more consistent setting on a cold engine than working on a warm one which is cooling down anyway.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 11 Mar 2014, 00:23
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (enigmas @ 10 Mar 2014, 16:39 ) *
Nice clean and tidy engine and bay. Why do you choose to adjust the tappets when the engine is cold?

Less painful?
PM  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 11 Mar 2014, 00:46
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic

BMC make it absolutely clear how tappets should be adjusted on a 'C" series engine. On the early 2.6 versions the book says 12 thou HOT and there is a plate on the rocker cover that says 12 thou Hot. On the 2.9 (3 Litre) versions the book says 12 thou cold and there is a plate on the rocker cover that says 12 thou HOT (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
enigmas
post 12 Mar 2014, 01:38
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 863

I acknowledge that setting tappets on a cold engine is easier and less messy. Fair enough. Do you check the clearances when the engine is up to operating temperature though and make adjustments if necessary? Since the engine is basically all cast iron, I'd imagine there'd be very little difference in the thermal expansion rates of the various valve train components. This is generally not the situation with pushrod engines with alloy heads.
PM  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 12 Mar 2014, 03:02
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (enigmas @ 11 Mar 2014, 19:38 ) *
I acknowledge that setting tappets on a cold engine is easier and less messy. Fair enough. Do you check the clearances when the engine is up to operating temperature though and make adjustments if necessary? Since the engine is basically all cast iron, I'd imagine there'd be very little difference in the thermal expansion rates of the various valve train components. This is generally not the situation with pushrod engines with alloy heads.

Years ago someone told me a mechanic's rule of thumb is: all cast 3 thou; cast/aluminium 5 thou; all aluminium 8 thou, that is to say change in gap between cold and hot. I don't know how true that is, but still indicates that cast iron engines are expected to show thermal changes that affect valve clearances/lash. The differences in thermal expansion rates are not just due to the nature of the material, but also to shape, with a large mass of metal forming block and head, then long rods, arched rockers, etc. I am sure the ideal temperature would be the average running temperature of the car, but that is hard to gauge, would depend on all kinds of other factors, and if you took, say, 20 minutes to go from one end of the engine to the other, the temperature might have altered by 50 degrees in that time. If instructions in the manual are for a cold engine, then the engine designers must have spent time and some experimentation getting the values correct. Which doesn't mean you can't adjust them hot, but maybe that you'd better know what you're doing, which most home mechanics don't.

Hydraulic lifters/tappets are so much more sensible!
PM  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 12 Mar 2014, 08:07
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Thank you for your kind comments re: tidy engine bay. I do try to keep it nice and clean - nicer to work on that way.
...in fact there are no oil leaks from the rocker cover or tappet chests, but it is getting out somewhere. I suspect the new spin-on filter mount's gasket. It was a sod to get an Allen key in to tighten the mount. However, I digress...

Why adjust clearances cold?
It is much more comfortable, especially on a hot summer's day. By the time I get to #12 at the rear I'd have a sore back *and* be slightly roasted and have burned myself a few times... grumble grumble...
Better consistency - no engine gradually cooling down while I bungle and curse about the coarse thread on the lock nut and the screwdriver that is slightly loose in the slot; it always takes me several goes per rocker.
Bill Williamson told me many years ago that .012 cold was fine (for standard engine). 6/99 and 6/110 mkI have the same camshaft and other stuff as 2639 engine and you set them cold.

I saw a figure saying to add an extra .001 for a cold engine (was for an MO Oxford, as it happens).
Setting with my camshaft when hot to .015 or .016 made no appreciable difference to running - remember that the man who rebuilt the engine never gave me *any* camshaft specs and I was too young to know any better. .012 Hot ran like rubbish, .014 was better and .015 hot (or .016 cold) worked the same.

Oddly, I've found setting clearances on a B-series when hot much easier and quicker. I guess there is only 8 to do and less heat to contend with. And all 1489-1622 engines I seen data for say HOT.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 12 Mar 2014, 08:55
Post #10

Wolseley Fanatic

I've set and checked clearances on C series hot and cold many times and can find no discernable difference.

Danny

This post has been edited by Danny: 12 Mar 2014, 08:56
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
wolseley16/60aut...
post 12 Mar 2014, 10:40
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 555

I set valve clearances on the old 16/60 cold then compression test each cylinder, usually setting them to .15 thou. does the trick.....a slight clatter from the rockers is more acceptable than no noise.....
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 13 Mar 2014, 05:36
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (wolseley16/60auto @ 12 Mar 2014, 23:40 ) *
I set valve clearances on the old 16/60 cold then compression test each cylinder, usually setting them to .15 thou. does the trick.....a slight clatter from the rockers is more acceptable than no noise.....

Too right about a bit of clatter. My Cowley was running very quietly when I drove it in January, but it was well down on power (not good with just 1200cc!) and getting hot. Setting clearances to .015 did the trick; much better.
Tappy tappet = happy tappet.

I don't have a compression tester anymore. Probably useful to get one again.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 02:11