Howard Dent
post 9 Feb 2014, 15:08
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 9,739
Proud citizen of: en

So, I have this list of surviving and possible surviving Isis - fellow member and Isis owner Godalmingyellow is the author - and I like to try and add/subtract cars as and when they might appear. It's reasonably complete as far as the cars still holding a V5C, but of course there are plenty (relatively) that are lurking - you just have to look round my garden/shed/garage etc....

Anyway, after the surprise arrival on the scene of black Series I 196 ENO recently I thought that was probably it for while - until a couple of weeks back.

To cut a long story short, I have inadvertently identified a previously unknown (but pictures exist on the internet) Series II Black/Swiss Grey saloon WLJ 102.

Attached File  Unknown_Series_II_Isis_1977.jpg ( 68.71K ) Number of downloads: 0

Obviously was then repainted.

Attached File  Unknown_Series_II_Isis_1982.jpg ( 89.02K ) Number of downloads: 0

Nice pics but where had it 'gone', and how long ago were the pics taken...

Scroll forward to the arrival of a semi-derelict black/red saloon, but check out the sill under the drivers door - or rather the two sills - one red and very rotten, and the one underneath grey.

Attached File  300120143337.jpg ( 1.84MB ) Number of downloads: 0

Lovely condition as you can see, no redeeming features, except it's another Automatic!!

Attached File  300120143341.jpg ( 112.99K ) Number of downloads: 0

But I had to have it (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Didn't I?
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 9 Feb 2014, 16:56
Post #2

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

Congratulations Howard. Looks like a fine acquisition. I must say I prefer the original colour scheme though. Is that automatic box found on any other cars?
PM  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 9 Feb 2014, 18:40
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Llansadwrn @ 9 Feb 2014, 16:56 ) *
Congratulations Howard. Looks like a fine acquisition. I must say I prefer the original colour scheme though. Is that automatic box found on any other cars?

I'm not sure congratulations are in order, more like commiserations?

Yes, the original scheme is much nicer - and it has the remnants of the optional two tone black/grey interior too - so that's what it will be when I get round to it...

The auto box is the well used Borg Warner 35, so it's common enough elsewhere if not on the Isis.

It was the reg number that sold it to me really - it belonged to number plate dealer Colin Kirsch along with Isis Traveller (reg no.1515 UK) in the eighties/early nineties then both cars disappeared off the radar. I actually bought the remains of the Traveller about a year ago, but it had long since lost it's reg.no. unfortunately, and it's in nasty condition. Apparently the plate was acquired by Colin on a motorbike, and my little history book says that the plate was originally issued in Middlesex between June 1929 and March 1933.

Technical question though - the dash is painted black, which I've never seen before. So is that original? I have owned another two Black/Grey Auto Isi but they both had the red interior, and a grey dash - which I would say was the correct spec. I shall have to dig deep in to the archives (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

Attached File  03092011344.jpg ( 1.57MB ) Number of downloads: 0

This is one of the other Black/Grey autos.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 9 Feb 2014, 20:31
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 9 Feb 2014, 11:40 ) *
I'm not sure congratulations are in order, more like commiserations?

Yes, the original scheme is much nicer - and it has the remnants of the optional two tone black/grey interior too - so that's what it will be when I get round to it...

The auto box is the well used Borg Warner 35, so it's common enough elsewhere if not on the Isis.

It was the reg number that sold it to me really - it belonged to number plate dealer Colin Kirsch along with Isis Traveller (reg no.1515 UK) in the eighties/early nineties then both cars disappeared off the radar. I actually bought the remains of the Traveller about a year ago, but it had long since lost it's reg.no. unfortunately, and it's in nasty condition. Apparently the plate was acquired by Colin on a motorbike, and my little history book says that the plate was originally issued in Middlesex between June 1929 and March 1933.

Technical question though - the dash is painted black, which I've never seen before. So is that original? I have owned another two Black/Grey Auto Isi but they both had the red interior, and a grey dash - which I would say was the correct spec. I shall have to dig deep in to the archives (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

This is one of the other Black/Grey autos.

I wasn't sure if the license plate went with the car, since the front one is different in the other pictures. Yes, that's quite a find.

As to the dashboard, I think everyone else in the world would say "Ask Howard, he'll know!". If it's like the SIII and IV Oxfords, they all seem to be grey that I've seen so far, even though the surrounding vinyl etc. are green on mine. My Traveller also has 2-tone door card covers, with the upper panel grey and the lower area green, and it looks original. It made me wonder if my car was originally a grey/green duotone. I'd almost bet that the black is not original.
PM  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 9 Feb 2014, 23:44
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

Howard, is that BW35 the original box? Surprised it's not a DG.

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 11 Feb 2014, 07:14
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

So is this one to be saved or become a spare parts donor, Howard?

All original dashes I've seen have been grey.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 11 Feb 2014, 19:54
Post #7

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ 9 Feb 2014, 23:44 ) *
Howard, is that BW35 the original box? Surprised it's not a DG.

Danny

You're quite right Danny, I was having a senior moment - or rather my fingers took over whilst my memory nodded off (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I don't think the 35 was introduced until after the fifties, so it couldn't be one of those...
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Howard Dent
post 11 Feb 2014, 20:07
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (webmonster @ 11 Feb 2014, 07:14 ) *
So is this one to be saved or become a spare parts donor, Howard?

All original dashes I've seen have been grey.

Yes, grey is correct I think too - but this looks so original I'm slightly unconvinced. Maybe when I get down and dirty with it I'll discover the truth?

The attraction of this one is the registration number of course, so that means I have to restore it to enjoy the plate! In the UK a car with a desirable registration number has to have an MoT to be able to transfer it, so whatever I do that has to be the first job - an MoT test. Unfortunately, the car has little chance of passing an MoT test without undertaking massive reconstruction work...

And I have so much spare time (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)

Attached File  300120143340.jpg ( 1.69MB ) Number of downloads: 0

Look - a sunshine floor!
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 12 Feb 2014, 07:53
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

QUOTE (Howard Dent @ 12 Feb 2014, 09:07 ) *
Yes, grey is correct I think too - but this looks so original I'm slightly unconvinced. Maybe when I get down and dirty with it I'll discover the truth?

I'd be interested to know! I guess the inside face would give it away...
The attraction of this one is the registration number of course, so that means I have to restore it to enjoy the plate! In the UK a car with a desirable registration number has to have an MoT to be able to transfer it, so whatever I do that has to be the first job - an MoT test.

Seems an odd rule... on the other hand it means a car has a better chance of being restored (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Unfortunately, the car has little chance of passing an MoT test without undertaking massive reconstruction work...
And I have so much spare time (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
Look - a sunshine floor!

(IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'll bet Webasto are kicking themselves now - you've beat them to a fancy new marketing concept (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Is that part of the floor pan the same as an Oxford's? (save the hold for the gearlever, but yours is an automatic).

I'll bet your wife is pleased. Or has she become more accustomed to this sort of thing arriving? ;-)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 02:12