webmonster
post 3 Jan 2014, 02:11
Post #1

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Morris Member
Member No.: 922
Proud citizen of: nz

It's at the WOF shop right now. I'll go back in an hour or so. Hope it passes (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I thought a front brake cylinder was leaking last time I parked it up. Cylinders are OK but there was some grease coming from the front bearing covers. Cleaned that up and inspected the cylinders very closely.
BUT... there is most certainly a leak from the near-side rear axle halfshaft seal(s). I suspect both the inner (rubber) seal and the outer paper gasket are both leaking, so I'll need to get hold of a hub puller. For the WOF I've cleaned everything up.

As a positive, if I'm going to pull a half-shaft I may as well pull the other one and replace the Cowley's incredibly low ratio diff head (5.125:1) for a slightly better Oxford one (4.875:1).
Should raise the cruising speed to 55mph.

I also replaced the sparkplugs and gave the SU dashpot some attention, but the shaft is pretty sloppy and the jet corks are leaking a bit. The NZ SU stockist is not too far away here in ChCh, so I'll visit him soon...
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mrblue
post 3 Jan 2014, 08:52
Post #2

Super Poster

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 14,638
Proud citizen of: en

QUOTE (webmonster @ 3 Jan 2014, 02:11 ) *
It's at the WOF shop right now. I'll go back in an hour or so. Hope it passes (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I thought a front brake cylinder was leaking last time I parked it up. Cylinders are OK but there was some grease coming from the front bearing covers. Cleaned that up and inspected the cylinders very closely.
BUT... there is most certainly a leak from the near-side rear axle halfshaft seal(s). I suspect both the inner (rubber) seal and the outer paper gasket are both leaking, so I'll need to get hold of a hub puller. For the WOF I've cleaned everything up.

As a positive, if I'm going to pull a half-shaft I may as well pull the other one and replace the Cowley's incredibly low ratio diff head (5.125:1) for a slightly better Oxford one (4.875:1).
Should raise the cruising speed to 55mph.

I also replaced the sparkplugs and gave the SU dashpot some attention, but the shaft is pretty sloppy and the jet corks are leaking a bit. The NZ SU stockist is not too far away here in ChCh, so I'll visit him soon...
good luck with the test webmonster, don't get too stressed like i do.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 3 Jan 2014, 10:12
Post #3

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (mrblue @ 3 Jan 2014, 21:52 ) *
good luck with the test webmonster, don't get too stressed like i do.

Thankyou (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
No stress, but the back brakes were too uneven to pass. It was the side that I did not touch that was too feeble. I cleaned up the side that had the small oil leak...
But the good news is that everything else is OK. I know that some front suspension bushes are getting near the end, but nothing else is close to being iffy for WOFs, I think.

I came back while they were doing the test and I could hear that he wasn't too good with column change gearshifts (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif) But then reverse is a bit odd to find unless you know the trick. And the gearchange is a bit worn on the Cowley too...

Anyway, tomorrow morning I'll see to the other rear brake and go back for the retest.
Then this town had better watch out for the raw power of 1200cc B-series cruisin' the streets (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 4 Jan 2014, 00:47
Post #4

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Wahey! WOF passed. After removing the drum and shoes everything got a good clean and I noticed that the cylinder was a bit stiff in its slot - couldn't slide up and down very well.
A touch of WD40 in the slots, reassemble and a test drive. My in-laws live in a fairly new area of town, so I'm not sure what they all thought of a old car regularly lurching to a stop.
Now that brake is slightly better than the 'oil-leak' side, but it comes on slightly slower (if I was reading the brak-balance machine correctly).
Anyway. A pass (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Today I can pop around to Ray W's and pick up the new seals.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 4 Jan 2014, 04:00
Post #5

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (webmonster @ 3 Jan 2014, 17:47 ) *
Wahey! WOF passed. After removing the drum and shoes everything got a good clean and I noticed that the cylinder was a bit stiff in its slot - couldn't slide up and down very well.
A touch of WD40 in the slots, reassemble and a test drive. My in-laws live in a fairly new area of town, so I'm not sure what they all thought of a old car regularly lurching to a stop.
Now that brake is slightly better than the 'oil-leak' side, but it comes on slightly slower (if I was reading the brak-balance machine correctly).
Anyway. A pass (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Today I can pop around to Ray W's and pick up the new seals.

Congratulations! I cannot imagine having to face that twice a year. With my level of procrastination the car would only be on the road for about six months in every five years.
PM  
+Quote Post
wolseley16/60aut...
post 4 Jan 2014, 06:44
Post #6

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 555

A lot depends on the mechanic involved in the actual testing, some are excellent & some are complete *&((($#??!!!

I try & avoid the *&((($#??!!! types.....
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mrblue
post 4 Jan 2014, 09:05
Post #7

Super Poster

Well done that man. congratulations
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 4 Jan 2014, 09:08
Post #8

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

One advantage of the testing is that they picked up a dodgy brake that I didn't notice at all. With unimpressive 8" drums the last thing the Cowley needs is 25% less braking (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)

As for the mechanic doing the testing - mine turned out to be from Oxford in the UK. He had tested lots of Minors in his time, but never an Oxford/Cowley. He was also sensible enough to notice the small mileage since the last test and could obviously see that the Cowley is not a high use car.
He wasn't that good with the Cowley's worn column change though (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 4 Jan 2014, 09:15
Post #9

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (mrblue @ 4 Jan 2014, 22:05 ) *
Well done that man. congratulations

Thank you Sir (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Having it going means any repairs are easier to get done (if necessary). I'm getting a few things done every day so far. It's good to remember the successes of little jobs too.
Today I fitted a new cork seal (same as MGA) around the top of the petrol filler pipe.
I also (finally!) re-affixed the petrol cap to its tether inside the pipe. Only the earliest Oxfords and Cowleys have this. I've taken a photo on my new-fangled cellphone but I'm not sure I can upload here using this computer.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Nishka
post 4 Jan 2014, 11:14
Post #10

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
From: Wolseleyland near the Guild City of Preston, Lancashire
Member No.: 2
Proud citizen of: gb

QUOTE (webmonster @ 4 Jan 2014, 09:15 ) *
I'm getting a few things done every day so far. It's good to remember the successes of little jobs too.

Well done Webmonster, another old car back on the worlds roads.

As to getting small jobs done, this is very sensible. As one of my old school teachers used to say when faced with a mammoth task - "It is like eating an elephant; it is possible, just as long as you take it one mouthful at a time!".

Nishka
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 4 Jan 2014, 22:04
Post #11

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Time for some pics (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Here is the Cowley after its new WOF
Attached File  20140105_105505.jpg ( 321.43K ) Number of downloads: 4
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 4 Jan 2014, 22:11
Post #12

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

The early petrol filler cap.

My slightly bigger helper this time.
Attached File  20140104_173418.jpg ( 261.22K ) Number of downloads: 1

Some dodgy bloke ensuring old bits of cork seal end up in the petrol tank...
Attached File  20140104_173603.jpg ( 244.56K ) Number of downloads: 1

Cork seal - same as MGA (same BMC part #). Still needs to be pressed down a bit.
Attached File  20140104_173751.jpg ( 227.66K ) Number of downloads: 1

All finished. Early Cowley and Oxford petrol filler caps are retained differently to the later ones.
Attached File  20140105_105519.jpg ( 263.09K ) Number of downloads: 1
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 6 Jan 2014, 01:03
Post #13

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Today I changed the oil and filter. Lovely Penrite HPR30 - 20w-60.
I replaced the sump bung with a magnetic one:
Attached File  20140106_112611.jpg ( 295.66K ) Number of downloads: 0

A-series and B series sump bungs are the same size. I can't remember where I got this from - BullMotif perhaps?
It was a bit tighter on the threads going in, but it was OK.

With a bypass oil filter I think a magnetic bung is a good idea.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 7 Jan 2014, 06:27
Post #14

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Even with a 1200cc engine the Cowley has been incredibly slow to accelerate, so I've got a few things to sort out.

I took the Cowley for a drive to buy a set of feeler gauges, then came home and checked the valve clearances.
Despite having a nice B-series tappy tappet sound to the engine most were rather tight, especially the exhaust valves (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I hope the seats still seal OK.
Anyway, I've reset everything to .015" and I'll get a chance to take it out for a drive tonight.

Next, I'll look at making up a good carb with new seals & unwobbly throttle shaft. I've got the one on the car and two spare ones.

Later still I'll look into the dizzy, but possibly not on this trip.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
wolseley16/60aut...
post 7 Jan 2014, 07:33
Post #15

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 555

QUOTE (webmonster @ 4 Jan 2014, 22:04 ) *
Time for some pics (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Here is the Cowley after its new WOF
Attached File  20140105_105505.jpg ( 321.43K ) Number of downloads: 4

How boring, rare & bland, I love it !!!!!!

I had the same trouble when I had my '54 standard 8.....

This post has been edited by wolseley16/60auto: 7 Jan 2014, 07:50
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 7 Jan 2014, 08:55
Post #16

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (wolseley16/60auto @ 7 Jan 2014, 20:33 ) *

Why thank you (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Many more people bought the higher-spec Oxford, so the Cowley is fairly rare.

Boring and bland... well there is certainly less 'bling' with all the 'luxury' items from the Oxford removed.
Truely understated

And with the mighty 1200cc engine it is a bit of an underdog...

...I love it too (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 7 Jan 2014, 09:02
Post #17

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

I went out for a blat earlier tonight.
Hurrah! *MUCH* better. 28x more betterer.
Tappets are properly tappy and it accelerates *far* better. Heat gauge sits lower too.

I've also advanced the timing a few degrees tonight so I'll see how that works out over the next day or so.

MrBlue - do you still have the original 1200 engine from your Cowley?
If so, would you be able to check the 3 numbers on the vacuum advance? Mine has a newer vac advance and I don't think it is correct. Nor is my distributor, so I'm trying to piece together the right advance info.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
mrblue
post 7 Jan 2014, 09:03
Post #18

Super Poster

QUOTE (wolseley16/60auto @ 7 Jan 2014, 07:33 ) *

I had the same trouble when I had my '54 standard 8.....
Nice. Pleased it's got through the test. same colour as mine, but after repairs from tin worm it will be black.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
webmonster
post 8 Jan 2014, 08:10
Post #19

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (mrblue @ 7 Jan 2014, 22:03 ) *
Nice. Pleased it's got through the test. same colour as mine, but after repairs from tin worm it will be black.

I rather like the green - also the paint on the dashboard is still good and I don't fancy painting the interior.
They look good in black too.

Have you got green upholstery?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Llansadwrn
post 8 Jan 2014, 09:33
Post #20

Wolseley Fanatic

Member No.: 13,358
Proud citizen of: cy

QUOTE (webmonster @ 8 Jan 2014, 01:10 ) *
I rather like the green - also the paint on the dashboard is still good and I don't fancy painting the interior.
They look good in black too.

Have you got green upholstery?

I have had only one black car for an extended period of time, a 1965 Mercedes 220SE. It never looked clean for more than five minutes or five miles.
I very much like the green too. Do you know which green it is?

My car has green upholstery that I think is the original.

Attached File  interior.JPG ( 85.94K ) Number of downloads: 4
PM  
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 01:53