Post #41

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: Forum Moderators
Member No.: 314
Proud citizen of: gb

QUOTE (Indiana_Jones @ 10 Jan 2012, 21:39 ) *
the said member also has a automatic Six

Another two in addition to http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=HH4962 then?

How does your registration, WOF and licensing work? For example http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=ES6449 says plate is no longer valid or something. Would that plate be lost forever or can you re-apply for it? Does a car have to have a valid WOF and license to do so?

You may or may not know that registration numbers are transferable here and a car has to be MOT'd (your WOF?) and taxed (your license?) and insured in order to be on the road, but a plate does not usually expire, unless the keeper hasn't applied for a logbook way back when the records were computerised (1974 I think).

We now have SORN which requires keepers notify the authorities if they aren't going to tax the vehicle and continuous insurance, where cars not insured must be SORN'd. There is an exception if the car was last on the road prior to 31 Jan 1998.

(IMG:http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j278/wolseley1100/Wolseley%206/Reckless/sorn-a.jpg)
Go to the top of the page
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Indiana_Jones
post 11 Jan 2012, 02:39
Post #42

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: LOCI Member
Member No.: 649
Proud citizen of: nz

Not fully certain of the system here in NZ, but plates do not expire if you keep the tax paid. We have a system where someone can put the licence 'on hold' or apply for an 'exemption licence' where the licence is held for the car, but you are not allowed to drive on the road of course.

If you do not pay your tax in over a year (or two years for cars 40+ years old) then the licence will be shut and debt collectors sent to collect the tax owing. The licence no. isn't reused I'm fairly certain, but if you still own the car with the plates I think you can apply to get the licence back on the original plates if you can provide historical evidence.

-Indy
PM  
+Quote Post
keeef
post 11 Jan 2012, 03:08
Post #43

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Indiana_Jones @ 11 Jan 2012, 02:39 ) *
Not fully certain of the system here in NZ

(IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Does seem a bit OTT, but no doubt it works OK in practice.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
keeef
post 11 Jan 2012, 03:09
Post #44

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Indiana_Jones @ 10 Jan 2012, 21:39 ) *
he's just brought off another member a Six

Any photos?

Is he going to join us on here?
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Indiana_Jones
post 11 Jan 2012, 04:59
Post #45

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (keeef @ 11 Jan 2012, 16:09 ) *
Any photos?

Is he going to join us on here?

No photos, but he is a member of the forum, but hasn't been on in a long time so has forgotten his login details. He said he'll try and join up again soon.

Keef, the licence system isn't complex. My wording isn't the best, would be easier to explain over a pint lol

-Indy

This post has been edited by Indiana_Jones: 11 Jan 2012, 05:02
PM  
+Quote Post
Indiana_Jones
post 6 Feb 2012, 06:32
Post #46

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2442/crablogosmall.jpg)

-Indy
PM  
+Quote Post
2wolseleysinnz
post 6 Feb 2012, 07:01
Post #47

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Group: WOC Member
Member No.: 720

Your SORN system is very similar to our On Hold system, and you can put any car on hold of any make and any year.
We currently have the Cortina on hold as it doesn't get driven, and once the registration becomes cheap (40 years old) we will relicence it again. The price is considerably less once you register a car over 40 years old, I can't recall but something like $90 a year compared to $300+.

You can't drive the car on the road if you have the licence On Hold.

Once you let the registration lapse, if you haven't paid for 2 years, the vehicle is required to be Re-vinned, with new plates and requires relicencing, around $600 I think.

Our old plates are black background with white numbering, and these are very sought after, however once you lose the original registration, for example if you let the registration lapse after 2 years, you must surrender the original black plates and get new white plates with black numbers/lettering.

It doesn't cost anything to put your registration on hold but you need to keep updating this either online or at the Post Office or Testing Station.

I've been told by LTSA that you can't purchase new plates in the old style, as they say this is illegal, but I have seen a few classics with new plate numbers in the old style, so I am not sure this is entirely correct,

Hope this helps, or confuses more.
PM  
+Quote Post
keeef
post 6 Feb 2012, 08:43
Post #48

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (2wolseleysinnz @ 6 Feb 2012, 07:01 ) *
I've been told by LTSA that you can't purchase new plates in the old style, as they say this is illegal, but I have seen a few classics with new plate numbers in the old style, so I am not sure this is entirely correct,

Sounds like our DVLA. One person tells you one thing and another tells you something else. (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Our SORN system is compulsory for all but cars that where last on the road before a certain date, but of course if people don't register the car in their name they won't get fined!

This post has been edited by keeef: 6 Feb 2012, 11:18
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Danny
post 6 Feb 2012, 11:19
Post #49

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 1,742
Proud citizen of: au

QUOTE (2wolseleysinnz @ 6 Feb 2012, 08:01 ) *
Your SORN system is very similar to our On Hold system, and you can put any car on hold of any make and any year.
We currently have the Cortina on hold as it doesn't get driven, and once the registration becomes cheap (40 years old) we will relicence it again. The price is considerably less once you register a car over 40 years old, I can't recall but something like $90 a year compared to $300+.

Are there any restrictions on this cheap registration, eg amount of use, club membership whatever?

Danny
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Indiana_Jones
post 6 Feb 2012, 19:14
Post #50

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ 7 Feb 2012, 00:19 ) *
Are there any restrictions on this cheap registration, eg amount of use, club membership whatever?

Danny

No restriction, no club membership needed

The car has to be 40 years old to qualify, so that's my car sorted (1970)

The cost is about $107 a year I think, which is about a 1/3 of 'normal' car tax.

Also another bonus is that one doesn't have to back pay the tax if they let it lapse for a few months, which is handy sometimes if you need to fix something to get a WOF (You need a WOF to be able to pay for tax)

I think it's nifty having it as a rolling date, makes sense. But I am worried that down the line when some of the 80s Jappa's start to come under affect the government might try to change it....

dw Paul, one gets use to the crabs after time...

-Indy

This post has been edited by Indiana_Jones: 6 Feb 2012, 19:18
PM  
+Quote Post
keeef
post 6 Feb 2012, 19:20
Post #51

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Indiana_Jones @ 6 Feb 2012, 19:14 ) *
I think it's nifty having it as a rolling date, makes sense.

We were promised that, but as usual .......
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Penguin45
post 6 Feb 2012, 19:33
Post #52

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 56
Proud citizen of: aq

Well, we did for a while, until the Tony and Gordon show started.

P45.
PM  
+Quote Post
Indiana_Jones
post 6 Feb 2012, 19:37
Post #53

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

If the British government thought about it, it'd make more sense to remove tax free cars and to introduce low tax at say 30 years. Sure it'd upset the pre '73 (or is it 72?) lads but is future planning it a bit better and also they'll make more $$$ of it.

But that's just my idea.....*runs*

-Indy
PM  
+Quote Post
keeef
post 6 Feb 2012, 19:41
Post #54

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

QUOTE (Indiana_Jones @ 6 Feb 2012, 19:37 ) *
But that's just my idea.....*runs*

One reason I keep quiet about all this. (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

When I say "promised" above. It was a certain party that said they would bring it back if elected. No point in mentioning who, as they are all as bad as one another in my eyes.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
ahctog
post 6 Feb 2012, 20:17
Post #55

Group Icon

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 211
Proud citizen of: en

In defence of the present government, I think they have more things on their mind at present, and, I think I am correct on this, the Federation and classic press have all stated that now is not the time to push for any alterations to the present system in case of a backlash from people who have no interest in older vehicles.
I'm probably guessing, but I expect the all party motoring group side with the above.
Personally, and I would have much to gain from a review, I am in agreement that now is not the time.
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
Indiana_Jones
post 5 Mar 2012, 19:25
Post #56

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Mr. Wood tells me he's been dealing with someone in New Zealand about spares, perhaps another NZ member on the way?

-Indy
PM  
+Quote Post
GG
post 6 Mar 2012, 06:38
Post #57

Wolseley Fanatic

Group: Forum Member
Member No.: 158

QUOTE (keeef @ 6 Feb 2012, 19:41 ) *
One reason I keep quiet about all this. (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

When I say "promised" above. It was a certain party that said they would bring it back if elected. No point in mentioning who, as they are all as bad as one another in my eyes.

well said that man..gg
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post
FlyingW
post 6 Mar 2012, 09:49
Post #58

Wolseley Fanatic
Group Icon

Member No.: 812
Proud citizen of: wales

QUOTE (GG @ 6 Mar 2012, 06:38 ) *
well said that man..gg

To be fair Mike Penning the minister responsible for our hobby seems to be more friendly towards the movement than previous holders of his position. Given the financial state the country is in at present it would take a very brave person to try making changes to the present road tax exemption. It is for this reason that the FBHVC decided not to push the issue. Plenty of lefty inclined politicians see us as a bunch of toffs running around in expensive cars while not paying our share of the tax burden. Pushing for any changes could result in loosing what we already have, I doubt that now would be a good time to put our heads above the parapet. All that said as my good friend who is a politician says; never ever trust one. (IMG:http://www.wolseleyforum.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
PMEmail Poster  
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 06:13